Author Topic: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"  (Read 14354 times)

Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have to say I've found it a little odd to hear people refer to Ray Allen as "Jesus".  I understand that the nickname is in reference to the movie role he played as "Jesus Shuttlesworth" way back when.  I know people don't think he is the Messiah.  I know "Jesus" is a popular real first name  in many cultures.  I just think as an athlete's nickname it's a little curious.

Ray Allen is a professional athlete who played a role in one movie, many years ago.  He is much more identifiable as an NBA player than he is as an actor.  If we were talking about Sylvester Stallone, I could see where people might feel comfy calling him "Rocky" or "Rambo" (or even "Cobra"), but Ray Allen had one role, in one movie and the name in question is one that a large portion of our population associates with the Son of God.

To me it seems odd to throw a name of that grandeur around on the same level we would "The Truth" or "Big Ticket".

Personally, I don't use the name "Jesus" to refer to Ray Allen, and though I'm in no way offended by anyone who does, I just wonder if any consideration to the factors I mentioned pass through anyone's minds when they either use the name "Jesus" for Ray Allen or when they read where others have done so.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:52:01 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah...  I guess I feel a bit the same way, Redz.  I don't get offended by it (even though I'm a Christian), but I think to some it would be borderline sacrilegious.

I think people use it as a nickname because it's an identifiable role; when you say "Jesus Shuttlesworth", most hoops fans know who you're talking about. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:38:41 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I also don't feel comfortable calling him Jesus. I'm not too religious, but it just doesn't seem right. If I do call him Jesus, Shuttlesworth will almost always follow.

I think people call him Jesus because unlike Pierce and KG he doesn't really have a nick name. I personally like Sugar Ray, but it's not really used all that much. In my opinion, Sugar Ray is the best possible nick name for him even if it's not very original. 

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:40:12 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I think that the problem is that Ray Allen doesn't really have any other nicknames to use.  Even Jesus doesn't fit, but when you have "KG, the Truth, and...Ray?" the last guy in that equation doesn't sound like an all-star.  He sounds more like the guy working at Subway that's taking KG and the Truth's sandwich orders.

I propose we could up with a new nickname for Ray to fit properly in this triumvirate.  
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I have no problem calling him
"Jesus". I just don't do it.

There was once a "Sugar" Ray
Leonard. How about "Classy"
Ray Allen? Not flashy enough?

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What are you talking about? I think it is highly appropriate to use the "Jesus" from his one role of Jesus Shuttleworth as his nickname. I mean doesn't every cal Terry Bollea "Thunder Lips"? ::)

For those that don't know Terry Bollea is Hulk Hogan.

Yeah, I agree Redz. I have less of a problem with it because Jesus is the name of the Messiah, as a matter of fact that doesn't bother me for that reason whatsoever. I just think it's rather dumb to give him a nickname from a movie role he played when he's not an actor.

Is Shaq's nickname "Neon" or "Kazaam"?
Is Kareem's nickname "Roger"?
Is John Salley's nickname "Nate"?

Just never thought it made any sense.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Thats one of my all time favorite movies and what stuck out in a lot of people heads with that movie was how well he actually did with that role. I mean he held his own next to Denzel Washington with no acting backround whatsoever. I think the nick name is appropriate if youve seen the movie especially with at one point a pic of him in sports illustrated with a crown and what not. If anything that wasnt appropriate but what else is new with the classy spike lee. Im christian and i find it perfectly approariate because it has nothing to do with the actual messiah. Its on a completley different level.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:06 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
One movie, Redz?  I guess you've never seen Harvard Man......well, neither have I.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
One movie, Redz?  I guess you've never seen Harvard Man......well, neither have I.

You beat me to it.  Never seen Harvard Man,,,but knowing it exists won me sports trivia one night.

I have no problem with calling him Jesus because the fact that his name was Jesus was an intricle part of the movie so it is memorable.  Whenever I see old pictures of him with hair, I hear the montage where like 50 people say Jesus, Jesus.....either way he is not the original Jesus of the hardwood

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monroea01.html
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
I just call him Ray Ray, I don't call him Jesus either but I know some of his teammates do.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:39:17 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I find it a bit offensive and cringe every time someone calls him that quite honestly. Maybe it is just #3 of the ten commandments. I know most people aren't doing it with a sacrilegious thought, but it is there. They are insinuating that he is the Messiah of the basketball court, which is a sacrilegious comparison. 

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I find it a bit offensive and cringe every time someone calls him that quite honestly. Maybe it is just #3 of the ten commandments. I know most people aren't doing it with a sacrilegious thought, but it is there. They are insinuating that he is the Messiah of the basketball court, which is a sacrilegious comparison. 

I disagree.  The Jesus they reference with the nickname isn't the son of God, but Jesus Shuttlesworth.  Only the names are the same.  Do you feel the same way with Latino men named Jesus?  Would you feel differently if Ray's nickname was pronounced "Hay-zeus"? 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I stand  corrected ;)

And yes, I did think Ray did a credible job in his role as Jesus Shuttlesworth

And no, I have not seen Harvard Man...i'll look it up
Yup

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Maybe because I'm a godless sodomite, I really don't care that he's called Jesus.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm neutral on this subject I guess.  It doesn't bother me at all but I don't usually call him that.  I like when Grande calls him Sugar Ray but that isn't original.  I usually just stick with Ray Ray, or "the Smart Allen."
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."