Author Topic: Sean Williams?  (Read 19438 times)

Re: Sean Williams?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'd offer Giddens for him straight up, and stand up from the table.  If they don't take it, he isn't worth it.

Or Scal. I'd offer Scal too. Or Giddens and Scal.

that won't work, salary doesnt match. I'd offer pruitt and big baby.

I don't know that I'd offer Davis for him straight up. How about POB and a 2nd rounder?

I know I wouldn't.  Right now Davis is a major part of our rotation, and has been playing excellent basketball.  Williams is way too much of a wildcard to give up Davis for.

I don't understand why people are obsessed with big baby. i think he's ok.. but all he's been doing lately is take jump shots he can't make. I hate it when he takes those shots. I'd much rahter have powe come off the bench as PF and if we traded for williams he can help us defend guys like Horford and dwight howard in the playoff. I think we should move big baby while his stock is high.

Are you forgetting that there is another side of the ball as well?  He has been tremendous defensively, and has done a decent job on offense, his shot notwithstanding (mainly through setting screens, and rebounding).

But really, its not about not trading Davis, it is about not trading Davis for a guy who can't even break into the Nets rotation.  Do you really think Williams will be able to master the defensive rotations (a prerequisite to playing time with the C's...just ask Powe) to be able to even see the floor in the playoffs?  I can say right now that if we traded Davis for Williams, and did not bring in another veteran big man, there is probably about a 75% chance that Scalabrine would be seeing significant minutes come playoff time.

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The knock on him is the behavior but honestly id take a guy who rips apart his locker because he WANTS to be on the floor and play, as opposed to a guy whos comfortable in street clothes on the bench and who really doesnt seem to care.

The problem with Williams is that he *doesn't* care about playing.  At BC, he was warned that if he was caught with weed again, he'd be kicked off the team.  He cared so much about playing basketball, and was so loyal to his teammates, that he was busted smoking up again shortly thereafter.

Additionally, BC was actually a better defensive team with Williams off the court than on.  For a player with a reputation as a defender, that doesn't bode well.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

Offline Brazilian Celtic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
javascript:newwind('http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/12/sean_williams_has_every_physic.html','164')

Low post PF/C, shot blocker, from Boston...looks perfect.
But, can we trade for him?

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I think the question should be, "do we want him" in which case the answer should be no. He's a good player, but he's also a head case that I don't want here. PLus I don't think we have anything to offer New Jersey for him.

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I merged this thread with one from a couple of weeks ago...I'll stick with my original, thanks, but no thanks approach to Williams
Yup

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
I know hes a headcase but let me put this out there. If we could add either Sean Williams or Marbury who would you take? Both are headcases, but Williams is a young guy who can still change his demeanor. I really think everyone is scared away by his college problems, but has he done anything wrong as a pro?

I'm in the minority on this but I would send Scal and Bigbaby for Sean williams and Maurice Ager. Get rid of Scal, and call up Bill Walker, and get rid of the crying infant for an athletic longer more traditional PF/C. Ager on inactive list or waived and hopefully sign PJ at all star break. We are looking at a lineup of

PG Rondo/Eddie/Pruitt
SG Ray/Tony
SF Paul/Walker
PF Garnett/Powe
C  Perkins/Wiliiams/PJ???

I think our teams overall Defense would improve dramatically.
Our second unit could definitely run and Sean would get rid of the 2nd teams main liability, Interior Defense. I love Powe and  baby but they get scored on too easily. Williams would at least change some shots, and make it more difficult.

Danny. Take one of your famous chances and bring this kid in.

Oh wow, I was about to finish my post without mentioning POB. matter of fact, thats all he gets.

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Williams was sent to D-League today...He should lead that league in blocks anyhow.  We was getting zero minutes for NJ.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzKhtMTV_Vzis2ma6FGZcgpxzUpgD95CIONO0
Yup

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Williams was sent to D-League today...He should lead that league in blocks anyhow.  We was getting zero minutes for NJ.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzKhtMTV_Vzis2ma6FGZcgpxzUpgD95CIONO0

At this point, I wonder if they would trade Williams straight up for Giddens.  I am not a huge Williams fan, but he would be a nice guy to have on the bench if we end up playing a team like Atlanta in the playoffs. 

They both are high upside players with questionable characters, and a bit of a logjam at their positions.  Why not just a straight-up swap.

A deal like that, where we don't give up any rotation players is all I would consider for Williams at this point.

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
looks like we're starting to enter the -how true is ubuntu?- territory. i'll be honest,if the cavs snagged gerald wallace and then can STILL use wally's contract i'm game to sell MY soul and get whoever(ok, not odom,vujacic or luke walton).

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'm extremely intrigued by Williams. Powe and BBD are too redundant in their weaknesses.

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
How is Sean Williams an improvement over Patrick O'Bryant?

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2008, 11:40:55 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
He's a vastly different player than POB. I think he's probably more talented.

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2008, 11:53:11 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
He's a vastly different player than POB. I think he's probably more talented.

How so? They are both raw so I don't think either will be a rotation player for us come playoff time. Both have motivation/work ethic questions. Both have talent, Williams is probably a more talented shot blocker while POB is a more talented offensive player. I don't really see how Williams is a clear upgrade over POB and he certainly wouldn't get into our rotation this year.

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:55 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
I watched him play a lot at BC, he's better than Perk last year offensively, and defense wise his crazy athleticism is unique and highly useful in the Celtics switch everything schemes.