Author Topic: Rajon Rondo most overrated offensive player ever?  (Read 12877 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo most overrated offensive player ever?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Locally and nationally the general consensus is that he is above average defensively and average offensively. 

He's not scoring right now, but I don't think it's being overrated.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I think so. He makes good passes but he rarely uses his speed to his advantage. If he's one of the quickest players in the NBA according to Tommy why doesn't he ever dominate. Tommy claims older point guard can't keep up with Rondo but Rondo never does anything. The only time he gets assists is when he penetrates but he doesn't do that enough. He misses more layups than any other player in NBA history. He thinks way too much in the open court. His shooting touch from the outside and floaters are awful. Shaq is a more reliable free throw shooter than Rondo. I know he's a top defensive player in the league but lets stop all this future all-star crap until he atleast stops playing worse than he did last year. His performance in game 6 of the finals was fools gold.

This post is quite foolish IMHO. NOBODY overrates Rondo's offense and I mean nobody. Offense is actually the only unpolished element of his game (asides from FT shooting), and seeing as how he plays alongside PP, KG, and Ray I don't think he needs to be forcing the issue by taking more shots.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Not even close the most overrated ever, not even overrated at all.  I don't think teams are that concerned with Rondo offensively in terms of the scouting report.  This year he is attacking the rim a lot more, his shot isn't the best but it's not the worst.  Rondo's job isn't to be an offensive juggernaut.

This thread just seems absurd.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
most overrated ofensive player ever....
mmmmmmm
big words

how about bargnani  1st pick
Gerald Green        lottery
the kandi man       1st pick
mark blount         oh well contract wise

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Most overrated ever? That's a backhanded compliment to Rajon if anything.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I can't even consider him a good offensive player let alone the most overrated offensive player ever, it suggests you actually have 20-30 PPG.
Rondo has around 10, no jumpshot, can't make a 3 if his life depended on it etc.
I'd say that he is unique and has a lot of space to improve his game. There are couple of things you can't teach and one of them is speed. Rondo has plenty of it. I like him very much and I think that is the next few years he will develop a good perimeter game.
P.S. I noticed that he takes a lot less jumpshots than he did a year ago. If I'm Doc, I would like that number to go up instead of being static or going down, longterm-wise   
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
when was he ever seen as a very good offensive player? saying he has all the right tools does not mean he has the offensive skill set.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 10:21:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think so. He makes good passes but he rarely uses his speed to his advantage. If he's one of the quickest players in the NBA according to Tommy why doesn't he ever dominate. Tommy claims older point guard can't keep up with Rondo but Rondo never does anything. The only time he gets assists is when he penetrates but he doesn't do that enough. He misses more layups than any other player in NBA history. He thinks way too much in the open court. His shooting touch from the outside and floaters are awful. Shaq is a more reliable free throw shooter than Rondo. I know he's a top defensive player in the league but lets stop all this future all-star crap until he atleast stops playing worse than he did last year. His performance in game 6 of the finals was fools gold.

What would you think if we all agreed with you?

What if everyone in the world agreed with you?

What if no one agreed with you?

There is a point here, which is that the word "overrated" doesn't make sense unless you attach it to a particular person. Who, exactly, has overrated Rondo and why?

And if you mean overrated by Tommy - well then I can think of some other players who were just a teensy bit overrated too. He compared Walter McCarty to Hondo! I am quite sure that Rondo isn't even on Tommy's top 10 most overrated list.

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Someone once rated Rajon Rondo an offensive player? Really?  When?

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Dont usually when you get overrated most of the time you have to be compared to something or someone better or greater.I never heard of Rondo being compared to anyone good,bad or indifferent?

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Overrated? He has never been considered a good offensive player. I don't know what you are talking about.

Most overrated EVER? You've got to be kidding me.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Offensively? Probably yes, but only on CelticsBlog.

I don't see how that's remotely close to accurate, since most of us quite quickly acknowledge his offense shortcomings.

I've seen people say he's ok on offense, but i'll tell you what, if you want some TP's. I'll give you a TP for every thread you can link that has any type of a regular poster saying anything along the lines of

"rajon is an offensive force!" which is what this thread implies. I'm actually quite sure one or two exist, but for this to be accurate, you'd have to find more than one or two screwball posts. posts that say "could, might, has the tools" and all that potential stuff don't count. This thread is supposedly how he's overated Right now :)

Hoping for improvement is not overrating, and these threads are also pointless in general.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:55:02 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
and he is already a championship ring holding starting PG that got his ring under the age of 23. As far as I know there are only two others, Magic and Tony Parker.

Any one know if thats the complete list?  TP's for this info.

By the way, I completely agree wit u Nickagneta..tp
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 12:41:06 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
"Most overrated" thread are pointless.

"Trade Idea: Ray Allen for X & Y" pointless?
 ;)

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
and he is already a championship ring holding starting PG that got his ring under the age of 23. As far as I know there are only two others, Magic and Tony Parker.

Any one know if thats the complete list?  TP's for this info.

By the way, I completely agree wit u Nickagneta..tp

checked as far back as DJ in 79 and theres none other than magic, parker, and rondo

thats pretty impressive
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp