Author Topic: Can any Western Conference team takeout the Lakers  (Read 10098 times)

Re: Can any Western Conference team takeout the Lakers
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The most important team trait to beat the Lakers' defense is a balanced offense, with guys who can score all-around and capable of hitting the open shot that good ball movement will create.

I think the Rockets and San Antonio have a chance; Phoenix as well if they find a way to defend the two men game - and with their current personnel, I don't think that's possible, too many 1-way players.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:37:41 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 12:27:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The most important team trait to beat the Lakers' defense is a balanced offense, with guys who can score all-around and hit the open shot that good ball movement will create.

I think the Rockets and San Antonio have a chance; Phoenix as well if they find a way to defend the two man game - and with their current personnel, I don't think that's possible, two many 1-way players.
If Stoudamire could get over being STAT for a series and actually play quality defense they could. But you are what you are especially in seven game series. He'll always try to dominate the game by scoring, you'll never see the sort of ball denial and defensive rotations that would push Phoenix into the stratosphere that could win a title.

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:09 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The most important team trait to beat the Lakers' defense is a balanced offense, with guys who can score all-around and hit the open shot that good ball movement will create.

I think the Rockets and San Antonio have a chance; Phoenix as well if they find a way to defend the two man game - and with their current personnel, I don't think that's possible, two many 1-way players.
If Stoudamire could get over being STAT for a series and actually play quality defense they could. But you are what you are especially in seven game series. He'll always try to dominate the game by scoring, you'll never see the sort of ball denial and defensive rotations that would push Phoenix into the stratosphere that could win a title.

I would love to see a first round series between Phoenix and LA. Just to see if a rested Shaq has enough in him to take over the first two games of the series and Break Kobe's back when Kobe's in his prime and , I'll say it, his best team.

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 01:34:56 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Stoudamire is a subpar defender, he can't turn himself into a defensive force just like that. Too many things to learn. Besides him, Shaq is a defensive liability at this point of his career, can't defend the pick and roll anymore, ditto for Nash. And they need those 3 players on the floor to score points. Something's got to give.

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm not sure how much you've watched Amare this season, but he's really working to improve his defensive game, and I think he's looked very good on that end of the floor.

Defensive stats aren't necessarily completely accurate, but so far he's holding his man to about 14 points per 48 minutes, and opposing power forwards have an eFG% of .365 against him.  Opposing PFs have a PER of 9.8 when Amare is defending him, and centers have a PER of 12.2.  Those are all fabulous numbers.

More so, though, Amare just seems to be making more of a defensive effort this year, and it seems to be paying off.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Healthy Utah could beat LA.  Okur's going to drag Gasol or Bynum - probably Gasol - out to the 3 point line to eliminate one of their shot blockers/rebounders inside, and Boozer would manhandle whoever's left underneath.  Then, Deron Williams would destroy them.  It's tough to drive on two shotblocking seven-footers.  I think that's the real reason that teams are struggling to score on them right now - Gasol and Bynum intimidate penetrators, so teams end up taking low-percentage outside shots. 

That's why Detroit beat them.  They had to respect Sheed's shot, so it forced them to move one of their trees to the perimeter.  That allowed AI to do whatever he wanted, which broke down LA's entire defensive strategy.