Author Topic: Time to give Pruitt some run?  (Read 7801 times)

Time to give Pruitt some run?
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i am tired and heading to bed. just wanted to start a topic. house has struggled this time, pruitt had a very good pre-season. should doc start to see if pruitt should get some minutes? off to bed, very interested to see what others think.

great shot by pierce...simply amazing. off to bed.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

Re: Time to give Pruitt some run?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
i am tired and heading to bed. just wanted to start a topic. house has struggled this time, pruitt had a very good pre-season. should doc start to see if pruitt should get some minutes? off to bed, very interested to see what others think.

great shot by pierce...simply amazing. off to bed.

TP. I am in 100% agreement and posted something similar in another thread.  Pruitt would bring some nice offense.  Doc has been playing a 9 - person rotation, for the most part.  In the playoffs, that would be fine, but it would be nice to see a 10 -person rotation -- give Pruitt some more minutes.  This will probably ultimately mean Doc needs to play PP a little less.  In my ideal world, I would trade Tony Allen for a slightly longer SF who can hit the occasional 3 pointer.... But if wishes were horses....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:28:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
agreed. i can see why doc has stuck with the core in some of these big establishing wins (atlanta, houston, toronto), but as some lesser opponents hit the schedule, Gabe should be given a chance to run the second unit -- i like the idea of some small ball with him, house, TA, PP and either Powe or Baby. Shooting is a major issue on the 2nd Unit, so when House is missing it's really a glarring weakness.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 07:42:45 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Doc sees these guys more than anyone on this board. If Pruitt's not playing, I think we can safely assume he's not earning minutes in practice.

And unless he can consistently stick an outside shot - which was glaringly absent from the second group last night - I don't know what he's got to add.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Doc sees these guys more than anyone on this board. If Pruitt's not playing, I think we can safely assume he's not earning minutes in practice.

And unless he can consistently stick an outside shot - which was glaringly absent from the second group last night - I don't know what he's got to add.

Regarding part one, Doc did win a championship. He manages player and media personalities exceptionally well. He is a near scratch golfer. He has never proven an adept manager of rotations and player packages, and he is especially hard on young pointguards.

Regarding part two, Pruitt has a beautiful stroke and has the ability to advance the ball against pressure - two skills glaringly absent from the second group.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I wonder if Powe's fans applied this reasoning for the stretches he didn't play last year.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I wouldn't mind seeing Pruitt if for no other reason than giving Ray and Paul a little more of a break. 5 games in 7 days can be a killer and they're both playing a lot on minutes (especially Pierce). Not to mention Ray's shot has been off, which many time is because of tired legs. I like Pruitt and House together in the pre-season.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

i hear you, but doc is the same coach who waited way too long to play ryan gomes his rookie year, waited way too long to play rondo his rookie year, and waited way too long to play powe in 2008. i understand wanting to error on the side of caution, but pruitt was very good in pre-season. you are right, thoguh, we are not lucky enough to see what goes on in practice.

i love house, but if he is not shooting well, his value is severely diminished. it will come around (he is too good of a shooter), but why not give pruitt a chance, especially during this difficult stretch of games?
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

i hear you, but doc is the same coach who waited way too long to play ryan gomes his rookie year, waited way too long to play rondo his rookie year, and waited way too long to play powe in 2008. i understand wanting to error on the side of caution, but pruitt was very good in pre-season. you are right, thoguh, we are not lucky enough to see what goes on in practice.

i love house, but if he is not shooting well, his value is severely diminished. it will come around (he is too good of a shooter), but why not give pruitt a chance, especially during this difficult stretch of games?

Maybe he waited just the right amount of time to play those guys?! Could it possibly be that they weren't ready until the point that he inserted them into the lineup, which is why they were able to come in at that point and be successful? If he had put them in earlier maybe they hadn't learned enough or been prepared to come out and excel. Then they might never have developed into the players they did. I think I will side with the success of Danny and Doc and their results rather than those who don't see these guys practice and quite honestly don't understand the game as well as those two.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

I agree with Doc sees these guys more than we do and know more whose got game at the moment but Pruitt did show signs in the preseason games of having a outside shot.How consistent he is with his outside jumper is another thing. I will trust Doc in knowing when the time is right to insert Pruitt into the rotation.Timing has a lot to do with getting Pruitt a good look.Its early in the season and we need to get the starters and the next3-4guys off the bench running better  before looking at Pruitt.(imo)

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I agree with Doc sees these guys more than we do and know more whose got game at the moment but Pruitt did show signs in the preseason games of having a outside shot.How consistent he is with his outside jumper is another thing. I will trust Doc in knowing when the time is right to insert Pruitt into the rotation.Timing has a lot to do with getting Pruitt a good look.Its early in the season and we need to get the starters and the next3-4guys off the bench running better  before looking at Pruitt.(imo)

doc doesn't play young guys, even those he prasies early in the season.

See- Rondo (always listed as "he's great!" by doc in practice, didn't get any kind of minutes till 25+ games in) Leon (same) Gnomes (same again) West (you guessed it).

doc doesn't like to let young guys sink or swim is my take, you get worked in slloooowwwww.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Since the bench has been playing well with the exception of the last couple of games maybe Doc didn't see a need to play him.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

Maybe he waited just the right amount of time to play those guys?! Could it possibly be that they weren't ready until the point that he inserted them into the lineup, which is why they were able to come in at that point and be successful? If he had put them in earlier maybe they hadn't learned enough or been prepared to come out and excel. Then they might never have developed into the players they did. I think I will side with the success of Danny and Doc and their results rather than those who don't see these guys practice and quite honestly don't understand the game as well as those two.

They won a championship. That doesn't make them perfect in every decision. Doc went back and forth with Cassel and House in the playoffs. Does anyone think he made the correct decision 100% of the time between those 2?  

I can only venture a guess but I would think Doc is mulling over whether to play Pruitt more. The season is still young, and he is probably thinking at some point he has to get Pruit some solid minutes in case of injury. God forbid Rondo goes down in the playoffs and his first non mop up appearance is then.

It's tough to see Eddie struggling with his shot and knowing his defensive and PG liabilities and not want to see what the kid could do. 

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Wouldn't you at least want to see what you have in Pruitt? Particularly when House has not proven himself as a CONSISTENT backup PG. Don't kid me, I think House on most nights is your #2 but I think there are occasions that might call for someone else and I believe it would be a good idea to let Pruitt play if only to see if he's capable of the task.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i'm not saying pruitt over house, i'm saying pruitt and house, maybe tony at 3. but the problem is we have pierce playing very well with the second unit (he's been playing with a second unit for most his career) so the second year PG with less experience is the one left out.

BUT i do think that if an injury were to happen to RR, smilin gabe would be the one to start.