Author Topic: Technical Concerns  (Read 2477 times)

Technical Concerns
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbafouls&league=nba&sort=techs&order=true&season=2009

Is anyone else nervous about the number of technical fouls the C's have earned already this year?

Perk is leading the league by far; he's earned 5 in 8 games.
Even PP makes me nervous with 2 already

It only takes 16 and the player gets suspended for 1 game, and another game for every technical following.  I would hate to be missing someone in a meaningful game down the stretch because of Ts.

Am I too concerned about this?  We haven't even played that many hotly contested games yet.

Re: Technical Concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbafouls&league=nba&sort=techs&order=true&season=2009

Is anyone else nervous about the number of technical fouls the C's have earned already this year?

It only takes 16 and the player gets suspended for 1 game, and another game for every technical following.  I would hate to be missing someone in a meaningful game down the stretch because of Ts.

Am I too concerned about this?  We haven't even played that many hotly contested games yet.
Perk's technicals stem more from others not appreciating his physical brand of defense on them so he gets a double technical for some pushing. As much as I don't want him to get close to the 16 limit, I have no problem with his intimidating opponents and them not liking it. Look at Monday night. After Perk and O'Neal got into it, O'Neal disappeared. There was no technical given but I believe that is where he will be getting a bunch this year.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It will certainly be a concern when those T's start toatlling up and a post season game is lost to suspension (I believe I'm correct in assuming these totals carry over to the playoffs)
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
They start over before the playoffs.

http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2007-08.pdf

"Section VII—Fines
a. The following progressive technical foul and ejection schedules will apply.
(1) REGULAR SEASON
Technical Fouls 1-5: $1,000 fine each
Technical Fouls 6-10: $1,500 fine each
Technical Fouls 11-15: $2,000 fine each (with a warning letter
sent when the violator reaches his 12th
technical foul)
Technical Foul 16: $2,500 fine plus one-game suspension
Each Additional Technical Foul: $2,500 fine
Each Two Additional Technical Fouls
(18, 20, 22, etc.): $2,500 fine plus one-game suspension

(2) PLAYOFFS
Technical Fouls 1-2: $1,000 fine each
Technical Fouls 3-4: $1,500 fine each
Technical Fouls 5-6: $2,000 fine each (with a warning letter
sent when the violator reaches his 5th
technical foul)
Technical Foul 7: $2,500 fine plus one-game suspension
Each Additional Technical Foul: $2,500 fine
Each Two Additional Technical Fouls
(9, 11, 13, etc.): $2,500 fine plus one-game suspension

(3) EJECTIONS
First Ejection: $1,000
Each Subsequent Ejection: Player’s last ejection fine plus $1,000

I am concerned about Perk.  I like his physical play, but we cannot afford for him to be missing.  Without Perk we are a very small team.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Personally, I think Perkens argues way too much. He complains to the refs on every call. I think he's quickly devoloping a reputation was a complainer, which is not helpful to him or the team. Also, many times upon watching the replay, he did commit the foul he's weining about.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
They start over before the playoffs.

Thanks for the info.  TP
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I could care less about players getting technicals, especially during the season.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Personally, I think Perkens argues way too much. He complains to the refs on every call. I think he's quickly devoloping a reputation was a complainer, which is not helpful to him or the team. Also, many times upon watching the replay, he did commit the foul he's weining about.
I agree with you in that Perk whinne's or complains a little to much for my taste.He was starting to develop that habit last season but i thought it would subside this season.So far he has carried it over and it might be giving him a bad reputation with referee's around the league.I got a feeling one of these nights when he's got a legitimate beef he wont be taken serious by the ref's.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
I could care less about players getting technicals, especially during the season.

My concern isn't the effect on the game, but more the possibility of losing a starter at a key time down the stretch.  We are less that 10% into the season and Perk is 33% on his way to suspension. 

I'd like to see PP go quite a few games before getting his next one too.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm hoping that, like last year, there will be no meaningful games down the stretch.