Author Topic: KG's taunting  (Read 16131 times)

Re: KG's taunting
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I kind of felt like Mutumbo's finger waiving was slightly different.  Mutumbo would block a shot and wave his finger in the player's face.   Obviously the league told him that was no longer appropriate and he now waves his finger toward the audience instead as a "celebration" instead of a taunt.

Here's my question... if Mutumbo instead decided to wave his finger BEFORE a shot... is that taunting or trash talking/challenging?  Is there a difference or is it the same?  I kinda feel like it's different. 

If Mutumbo rejects a guy and then waves a finger it's like saying, "not in my house, little man!".  = Taunting

But if he waves it before the shot it's like saying, "Bring it on, little man".   = trash talking (in my opinion)

I saw KG's antics as more trash talking than taunting.   He does this kind of stuff pretty frequently and it definitely grates on fans of opposing teams.  When KG gets down on the ground and starts crawling on his knees it drives my anti-Boston friend crazy.  He see's it as immature trash talking.  But we know this is just KG getting amped up and his insane-o way of saying "BRING IT ON!"...   I forget the player, but earlier in the game KG challenged some guard to score on him.  He was running his mouth, got in a stance and essentially dared the guard to score.  The guard caught KG flatfooted and converted a layup in KG's face.   It was basically the same thing with Calderon.  KG was basically daring the Raptors to score.   Is that taunting or trash talking?  Not sure.   

I just want to say one last thing on this.  If we had a microphone on the court the game would have be televised on HBO.  These guys talk some foul stuff during a game.  Anyone who has had courtside seats can hear the kind of stuff some of these guys say to each other.  Superstars like Jordan and Bird were well known for their "trash talk".   I use to go to Sonic games and listening to Gary Payton in his prime was hilariously filthy.  KG is one of those players who never shuts up.  If you watch it on TV you see his lips moving, but you aren't hearing the crap he's saying.  The refs hear it and they ignore it.  It's part of the game.  I think maybe the refs decided to lump the Calderon antics into the same thing.  The only difference was that he was waving his fingers/hands in Calderon's face.   I figure the league will tell KG, "don't do that again", but I can't fault them for letting the guys play in a crucial point of the game.

(...)

KG started waving his finger after the play he buried a jump-shot on Calderon's face. Even from your perspective, that's taunting, not trash talking.

I believe things are more about the degree of the taunting. I'd say what Al Horford did last year to Pierce is on the limit, a non-call is completely acceptable (even if inconsistent with other officiating decisions on this very same subject). However, what KG did was just too obvious, it went for too long. Had he waived his finger just one or two times, or just yelled on Calderon's hear, nobody would care if the refs didn't call the technical. But at some point they have to make the call and this particular play is one of those cases where are no gray areas.

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I kind of felt like Mutumbo's finger waiving was slightly different.  Mutumbo would block a shot and wave his finger in the player's face.   Obviously the league told him that was no longer appropriate and he now waves his finger toward the audience instead as a "celebration" instead of a taunt.

Here's my question... if Mutumbo instead decided to wave his finger BEFORE a shot... is that taunting or trash talking/challenging?  Is there a difference or is it the same?  I kinda feel like it's different. 

If Mutumbo rejects a guy and then waves a finger it's like saying, "not in my house, little man!".  = Taunting

But if he waves it before the shot it's like saying, "Bring it on, little man".   = trash talking (in my opinion)

I saw KG's antics as more trash talking than taunting.   He does this kind of stuff pretty frequently and it definitely grates on fans of opposing teams.  When KG gets down on the ground and starts crawling on his knees it drives my anti-Boston friend crazy.  He see's it as immature trash talking.  But we know this is just KG getting amped up and his insane-o way of saying "BRING IT ON!"...   I forget the player, but earlier in the game KG challenged some guard to score on him.  He was running his mouth, got in a stance and essentially dared the guard to score.  The guard caught KG flatfooted and converted a layup in KG's face.   It was basically the same thing with Calderon.  KG was basically daring the Raptors to score.   Is that taunting or trash talking?  Not sure.   

I just want to say one last thing on this.  If we had a microphone on the court the game would have be televised on HBO.  These guys talk some foul stuff during a game.  Anyone who has had courtside seats can hear the kind of stuff some of these guys say to each other.  Superstars like Jordan and Bird were well known for their "trash talk".   I use to go to Sonic games and listening to Gary Payton in his prime was hilariously filthy.  KG is one of those players who never shuts up.  If you watch it on TV you see his lips moving, but you aren't hearing the crap he's saying.  The refs hear it and they ignore it.  It's part of the game.  I think maybe the refs decided to lump the Calderon antics into the same thing.  The only difference was that he was waving his fingers/hands in Calderon's face.   I figure the league will tell KG, "don't do that again", but I can't fault them for letting the guys play in a crucial point of the game.

(...)

KG started waving his finger after the play he buried a jump-shot on Calderon's face. Even from your perspective, that's taunting, not trash talking.

I believe things are more about the degree of the taunting. I'd say what Al Horford did last year to Pierce is on the limit, a non-call is completely acceptable (even if inconsistent with other officiating decisions on this very same subject). However, what KG did was just too obvious, it went for too long. Had he waived his finger just one or two times, or just yelled on Calderon's hear, nobody would care if the refs didn't call the technical. But at some point they have to make the call and this particular play is one of those cases where are no gray areas.

you had me with you until horford was ok. standing on top of a guy and screaming at him is also taunting, and its not borderline.

Both Him and KG deserved T's.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I'm going with it didn't matter. I think it was a call they could have made. They didn't. It didn't really affect the game. On the other hand, had they called it, I don't think there could be much of an argument.

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
All this talk about how Garnett is treated like a star and I think everyone has missed the obvious.  This incident happened pretty quick and I say the ref simply missed it.  Being an ex ref  one often watches the ball and misses certain things.

Anyone simply think KG just simply may have gotten away with it.

Much ado about nothing.  Got to find reasons to hate on the champs.

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Garnett was taunting Will Bynum of the Detroit Pistons Sunday, and ended up getting owned.

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
I think KG had little concern for Will Bynum in that game.

What I can't stand is people diss the C's and rave on the Lakers.  Even after the C's owned them in 6 games.

How can one not respect the champs.  People always want to hate on the C's.

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Garnett was taunting Will Bynum of the Detroit Pistons Sunday, and ended up getting owned.

really? what was the score of that game again?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
All this talk about how Garnett is treated like a star and I think everyone has missed the obvious.  This incident happened pretty quick and I say the ref simply missed it.  Being an ex ref  one often watches the ball and misses certain things.

Anyone simply think KG just simply may have gotten away with it.

Much ado about nothing.  Got to find reasons to hate on the champs.

While I am in the, it doesn't matter camp, it's hard to believe the ref didn't see it. I mean Caldaron was bring up the ball and KG was waving his finger in his face the whole way. Not one of the three refs were watching the guy with the ball? That's a bit hard to imagine.

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
He waved his finger for a brief period.  People are making something that just isn't there.

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
This might be a little harsh, but perhaps they should chop off his finger next time he waves it.   :P

or give him a T...either way
Yup

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

really? what was the score of that game again?

You gotta see the up close replay, they had it on NBATV last night.  KG is all screaming at him and getting down in his 'i'm going to defend a pg' stance, and Bynum blows right by him and hits the up and under.  KG looked so surprised.  It was kinda funny actually.

Trash talk has its place, but KG seems to take it a bit too far sometimes. 

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
Yeah he has taken it all the way to the championship.

The Raptors could have taken that game but they got no one to take that shot.  No one who has been in the place Peirce, KG, and Ray Allen have.

The simple fact is this team is just now coming together and people can't stand it.

Los Angeles,Houston, Detroit, Toronto.  Looking forward to tonights game.  bring them all.

TONY Allen is passing Posey.  Leon is seperating himself from Big Baby.  Allen is getting his ankles back.  House is gettting his shot back.

they are winning when they play bad against good teams.

i'm loving every minute of it.

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
KG deserved a TF and there is no place in the NBA for that type of conduct. It was childish an in bad taste. KG is a role model and there should be no place in his repertoire for this kind of taunting. He should be above that.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Yeah he has taken it all the way to the championship.

The Raptors could have taken that game but they got no one to take that shot.  No one who has been in the place Peirce, KG, and Ray Allen have.

The simple fact is this team is just now coming together and people can't stand it.

Los Angeles,Houston, Detroit, Toronto.  Looking forward to tonights game.  bring them all.

TONY Allen is passing Posey.  Leon is seperating himself from Big Baby.  Allen is getting his ankles back.  House is gettting his shot back.

they are winning when they play bad against good teams.

i'm loving every minute of it.
Toney Allen is passing Posey at what?

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
KG did not deserve a tech in my opinion.  He didn't taunt Calderon after he hit that shot, or after a big dunk or a big block.  It was while playing defense.  We know what he meant by the point, but it could have been interpreted by saying I got the ball or he's my man.  We know this isn't true, but by the letter of the law he did nothing wrong.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."