Author Topic: KG's taunting  (Read 16028 times)

KG's taunting
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:27 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
KG's taunting of Calderon is still making the rounds on the internet, with many calling it "disgusting" or "classless."  (Although Yahoo's Ball Don't Lie considered it "awesome" in that it brought playoff level intensity into a November regular season game.)  What do you guys think?  I'm sure we're all biased toward KG, but I do find it amazing that he gets away with the profanity and taunting he exhibits on the court.

My own theory is that the referees and other players recognize that KG is slightly crazy.  Not a dangerous Artest-crazy, or a belligerent Rasheed-crazy, but a level of intensity so high that it's simply abnormal.  Because of that, the referees (fairly or not) simply look the other way at language and behavior that would get other player's T'd up in a hurry. 

What's also interesting to me is that other players don't seem to hate KG - they actually seem to like him - in spite of all his taunting.  I think that's because of the great respect he commands around the league, and also the fact that those players realize it's not personal; it's just the strange way KG gets himself psyched up on the court.  (Calderon even mentioned that he appreciated it (?) and that the two laughed about it later in the game.)

Basically, I think KG gets away with it because he's a littel but nuts on the court - the refs know it, the players know it, and the league knows it.  And because of that, he's carved out a little niche for himself where the normal rules of behavior on the court don't apply.  Frankly, it's not "fair," but it seems to be understood.

It will be interesting, after all the publicity this has gotten after the Toronto game, if the league tries to do anything about it.  My hunch is they may make a token effort to save face, but will then continue to allow KG to be KG.   

Re: KG's taunting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:43:28 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
KG's taunting of Calderon is still making the rounds on the internet, with many calling it "disgusting" or "classless."  (Although Yahoo's Ball Don't Lie considered it "awesome" in that it brought playoff level intensity into a November regular season game.)  What do you guys think?  I'm sure we're all biased toward KG, but I do find it amazing that he gets away with the profanity and taunting he exhibits on the court.

My own theory is that the referees and other players recognize that KG is slightly crazy.  Not a dangerous Artest-crazy, or a belligerent Rasheed-crazy, but a level of intensity so high that it's simply abnormal.  Because of that, the referees (fairly or not) simply look the other way at language and behavior that would get other player's T'd up in a hurry. 

What's also interesting to me is that other players don't seem to hate KG - they actually seem to like him - in spite of all his taunting.  I think that's because of the great respect he commands around the league, and also the fact that those players realize it's not personal; it's just the strange way KG gets himself psyched up on the court.  (Calderon even mentioned that he appreciated it (?) and that the two laughed about it later in the game.)

Basically, I think KG gets away with it because he's a littel but nuts on the court - the refs know it, the players know it, and the league knows it.  And because of that, he's carved out a little niche for himself where the normal rules of behavior on the court don't apply.  Frankly, it's not "fair," but it seems to be understood.

It will be interesting, after all the publicity this has gotten after the Toronto game, if the league tries to do anything about it.  My hunch is they may make a token effort to save face, but will then continue to allow KG to be KG.   

Could care less what non-boston fans say about anyone associated with my teams, KG could cure cancer and he'd be a jackoff because he dons a jersey with BOSTON accross it. We are offically the new villans of the sports world, and every boston team suffers for it. Even the bruins are being called "cheaters who only get away with it because the NHL wants more boston money" on the ESPN boards by fans who are convinced they play "dirty" and don't get called for it.

but you know what? I could care less. let them have thier little immature jealous tirids against the C's, pats, and sox. I'll take being the villan over "loveable losers" that we were in the 90's any day.

As to KG himself, yes, im sure that's part of it. Your rep matters in this league, and i think KG's is "harmless but crazy" which lets him get away with alot of stuff he should probley get a T For (case in point, the finger waving). That's just the way it goes.

as for profanity, that's not somethign he "gets away with". ive been privledged enough to sit court side once, before the KG trade when those seats were easier to get heh, and the amount of cusing that goes on in a trip up and down the floor would make a merchant marine blush. It's not a T unless it's directed at a Ref. That's why the Mic's aren't closer to the floor on TV broadcasts, they'd be hitting the dump button every 2 seconds :)

Also, it's entertaining as heck, wheather you love him (me) or hate him (all boston sports haters) and the NBA wants fans to be entertained so it's willing to let "harmless crazy" go.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:54:34 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think Calderon needs to get over it.  Trash talk and related activities are part of the game.  Everyone is supposedly a man out there, so players should act like it and quit whining.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Stern and the refs must hold KG
in very high regard. I mean, they
banned Mutombo's "fingerwagging" and
that wasn't half as taunting, was it
now?  ::)

I guess there's a reason the taunting
was going on. Words must have been
exchanged and probably not nice words.
That being said, I don't think it made
KG look very good. I can see why fans
of other teams do not like that kind of
behavior. But I'm biased and I still love
KG. That kind of behavior comes with being
the most intense guy in the league  ;D

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think rules are rules and they should be enforced. The refs should have called a taunting foul.

The idea that some players should be treated differently on the court because each one of them has dissimilar traits is preposterous and an insult to the game.

KG acting that way is good because it fires up the crowd and energizes the team. However, there's a price to be paid: a technical foul. It's that simple. You see all the times coaches getting Ts on purpose in an effort to wake up their teams.

I think NBA orientations are currently too strict on this issue, but that's beyond the point here.

I think Calderon needs to get over it.  Trash talk and related activities are part of the game.  Everyone is supposedly a man out there, so players should act like it and quit whining.

Calderon even mentioned that he appreciated it and that the two laughed about it later in the game.

When exactly has Calderon whined or acted like he wasn't a man? You just made that up, right?

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like Calderon and think he would look great in green!
But he needs to get over it, Bird would have trash talked right back at KG and won the game.
What KG did was as important as Pierces 2nd half/4th quarter shooting.  We were being outplayed in nearly every point of the game.  Garnett got the team and crowd into it.  Even if a taunting foul would have been called , great, woke everyone up.  He expended a lot of energy playing D, maybe him being full court on a pg didn't really do anything but it stepped up the C's defense and woke up a sleepy boston crowd
GREAT JOB

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
how is KG any different than sheed?  what he curses a lot more, so it's more acceptable?

because sheed calls out officials and doesnt indiscriminately yell at other players or talk to himself?

my guess is garnett has some sort of diagnosed malady - like a lesser form of tourettes or something
God bless and good night!

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
NO it's not fair, and yes he should have been T'd up, but the way he was acting (and playing) the other night was entertaining as all hell. 

Because of previously mentioned rules against taunting things like the Dikembe no-no finger wave, and the Chris Webber throat slash are not seen around the league any more.  The NBA wants vanilla - let the play do the talking (well, that and the cheerleaders and the jumbotron and the loudmouth MC).

I'm not sure why the NBA lets KG get away with it, but as long as they do, more power to KG and the Celts.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
how is KG any different than sheed?  what he curses a lot more, so it's more acceptable?

because sheed calls out officials and doesnt indiscriminately yell at other players or talk to himself?

my guess is garnett has some sort of diagnosed malady - like a lesser form of tourettes or something

that only appears on the court and not at press conferances?

The diffrance between Sheed and KG is prespective, which, as cor mentioned, is crap, but it exists.

KG is seen as "intense" and "hyper" sheed is seen as "disruptive" and "childish"

it sucks from an integrety of the game standpoint, but its reality. it's now diffrent than Lebron getting a ton of extra calls a game because he's the messiah.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of course being a Celtics fan, I loved it and found it entertaining as hell.  However, it probably should've drawn a taunting foul.

Not complaining that one wasn't called, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
i still say KG has tourettes - he cant help himself so they dont call it
God bless and good night!

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I like Calderon and think he would look great in green!
But he needs to get over it, Bird would have trash talked right back at KG and won the game.
What KG did was as important as Pierces 2nd half/4th quarter shooting.  We were being outplayed in nearly every point of the game.  Garnett got the team and crowd into it.  Even if a taunting foul would have been called , great, woke everyone up.  He expended a lot of energy playing D, maybe him being full court on a pg didn't really do anything but it stepped up the C's defense and woke up a sleepy boston crowd
GREAT JOB

This is also true, TP.

my only problem from a "lets be fair here" standpoint is that no Tech was called. But even with a Tech, KG would have accomplished his purpose.

SO to sum it up, good move to wake up the team and the crowd, crap that no T was called,  love the guy to death  ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I really think this is much ado about nothing.  I guess I could have seen a T called for taunting, but nothing worth the huge backwash this seems to be creating.  In fact, I thought nothing of it until yesterday when the internet was buzzing about it.

But T or not, though, I definitely think that it helped create the spark that got the Cs going.  The Calderon play has gotten all of the attention, but nobody mentions that he had a similar "get-all-up-in-Chris-Bosh" play in the corner where he got all into Bosh's personal space and seemed to intimidate him into a pass.  He didn't do the finger wag (which is what apparently everyone is so upset about), but it was similar psychological warfare.  On another board someone commented "it looked like Garnett was going to eat Bosh right there".  And in both cases it seemed to work, as both Bosh and Calderon were invisible in the 4th (Bosh for the whole game, as KG erased him).  And the added energy seemed to resonate with Pierce, and then the whole tide of the game changed.  

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29

Tourettes?  Maybe.  

You raise an interesting point about how KG's taunting is different than Rasheed.  I think it's in how they come across and are unconsciously perceived.  Rasheed's actions always seem self-justifying, crying out that the fault belongs to others and that he is not to blame.  KG's tirades, however, always seem self-directed.  He appears to be in his own world on the court.  Even his taunting seems directed at motivating himself and his team rather than at knocking down the other (as odd as that sounds).  And his language and profanity seem generally self-critical rather than self-justifying.

That may be a flimsy distinction, but over the course of a long career, I think referees and other players feel the difference and it influences their perceptions.  KG comes across as nuts and self-critical, not as belligerent and self-jutifying like Rasheed.

I'm guess I'm more interested in the phenomenon than in judging it or how it's being handled.  Do we now have the "KG rules" in the NBA?

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Rasheed's anger is always directed at officials, that's why he gets t'd up.  He almost never messes with other players, which seems kind of wimpy to me.  KG's emotion is usually directed at opposing players.