Author Topic: Hawks (6-0) at Celtics (7-1) 11/12  (Read 46609 times)

Hawks (6-0) at Celtics (7-1) 11/12
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Atlanta Hawks (6-0) at Boston Celtics (7-1)  Wednesday, November 12
7:30PM ET
Game #9, Home Game #5
TV:  CSN HD, SportSouth, NBA LP 752
Radio:  WEEI, 790 The Zone
TD Banknorth Garden

Probable Starters
  PG  Rajon Rondo  PPG 8.6  REB 3.9  ASST 6.3

SG Ray Allen  PPG 15.5 REB 5.3 ASST 2.6

SF  Paul Pierce PPG 18.8 REB 7.6 ASST 4.0

PF Kevin Garnett  PPG 15.4 REB 10.0 ASST 1.6

C Kendrick Perkins  PPG 5.4 REB 7.4 BLk 2.5

Reserves
Reserves
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Eddie House
Leon Powe
Gabe Pruitt
Brian Scalabrine
Patrick O'Bryant
JR Giddens
Bill Walker
Sam Cassell

Injuries:
Paul Pierce (hand) will play
Rondo (body)  will play

Probable Inactive
JR Giddens
Patrick O'Bryant
Sam Cassell

Probable Starters
  PG Mike Bibby  PPG 14.2 REB 2.4 ASST 5.6

SG Joe Johnson  PPG 25.2 REB 5.2 ASST 3.8

SF  Marvin Williams  PPG 10.8 REB 6.0 ASST 1.3 

PF  Al Horford  PPG 8.8 REB 8.8 ASST 3.2

C Zaza Pachulia   PPG 4.2 REB 5.2 ASST 0.8

Reserves
Acie Law
Solomon Jones
Maurice Evans
Flip Murray
Othello Hunter
Randolph Morris
Mario West
Speedy Claxton
Thomas Gardner
Josh Smith

Injuries

Josh Smith (ankle) day to day
Speedy Claxton (knee) out

Probable Inactive
Josh Smith
Speedy Claxton
Thomas Gardner

Key Matchups
  vs 
Bibby was very vocal about the Celtics fans during the playoffs, calling them bandwagon fans.  I am sure they haven't forgotten that so expect him to be booed early and often. 

vs 
Joe Johnson will try to get the best of his former team.  He has been averaging over 25 points per game and it will be up to Ray Allen to try to contain him in this game. 

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Al Horford
Al Horford's taunting earned the Celtics' Captain a fine when he retaliated with the so called gang sign in the playoffs.   Expect KG to send him a message in this game. 

Game Notes
The Hawks took the Celtics to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs, surprising many fans on both sides.  They started where they left off in the playoffs with a 5-0 start this season beating the Magic, 76ers, Hornets, Raptors and Thunder with the first 4 teams all having playoff aspirations and the Hornets being favored by some to win it all. 

The Hawks took a page from the Celtics book and are doing it with defense, holding teams to 85.8 points per game which is second only to the Lakers 84.4.  The Celtics come in third at 86.75.   They are  limiting teams to 40.8% field goal percentage which is 3rd best in the league behind the  Celtics 38.2% and the Lakers 39%.  This should be a defensive battle and the Celtics would be very wise not to start slow in this game because they may not be able to make it up against this Hawks defense.

The Hawks are playing in the second of back to back games, having faced the Bulls the night before and the Celtics had the previous night off but are playing in their 3rd game in 4 nights. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:06:47 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Hawks (5-0) at Celtics (7-1) 11/12
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'm looking forward to the C's ending Atlanta's unbeaten start to the season.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm hoping for a whopping. To paraphrase The Simpsons, "Take us to seven games in the play-offs, you better believe that's a whopping." ;D

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
This could really be a great one. The Hawks are really going to bring it. They still believe they could have had that play-off series. The Celtics are going to have to remind them why they lost the seven game series, and who's the better team. I hope that the Celtics don't try to sleep walk through this one.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Josh Smith being out should definitely make things a lot easier.  The Celts are a better team, regardless, but Smith makes that team go.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I want to see Cs winning
I rather see Smith there too i dont want excuses.
Its nice to have the game at home\, make things a little easier

oh well
Lets go Cs

Great job as usual Fl. beautifull preview
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
We are going to make the Lakers the only undefeated team in the League, right? It's one of the very rare cases where a win comes with a downside attached.  :P

I'm yet to watch the Hawks playing this season, except for some very short moments. Being somewhat pessimistic about their prospects this year, I'm looking forward to see them play an entire game, they've been playing very well accordingly to all accounts and proving me wrong.

Thanks for the thread, FLCeltsFan.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
[dang], gotta work on my vocals...(clears throat) RONDOS-BETTER, RONDOS BETTER. lol, i just think that its funny that in the NBA its always the Chihuahas that bark the loudest. Anyways about the game, I hope we actually come out strong and put it away midway thru the 3rd so I can see my boy Billy Walker boom on somebody.(preferably Al Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ford) lol

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:48:49 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
We are going to make the Lakers the only undefeated team in the League, right? It's one of the very rare cases where a win comes with a downside attached.  :P

I'm yet to watch the Hawks playing this season, except for some very short moments. Being somewhat pessimistic about their prospects this year, I'm looking forward to see them play an entire game, they've been playing very well accordingly to all accounts and proving me wrong.

No, Dallas is going to do that tonight.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

speaking of that game, GG is playing another solid string of minutes.

Good for geraled :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Up by 6 at the half-time? I don't think that's nearly enough for them to get a win, let's hope so.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:37 PM »

Offline Hawks Best Team

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
First off, the Hawks play Chicago on Tues. not Dallas. [Edited] And the Hawks will be undefeated when the come to Boston, and when they leave for that matter.  I think they'll win a close one.  It will be tough, just like the Celtics would have trouble playing this game in Atlanta.  Should be fun though, if you like a good game!  Enjoy the game being up there, because I can assure you that when the C's come to the Atl. Hawks fans will blow the roof off!!!

No need for that.  These game threads are the result of lots of hard work.  No need for the snide remark. I suggest you take a look at the posting rules if you want to remain here.  We're all for competitive banter here with other fans as long as its done in a civil manner.
-Dons
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:57:42 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
First off, the Hawks play Chicago on Tues. not Dallas. Duh? And the Hawks will be undefeated when the come to Boston, and when they leave for that matter.  I think they'll win a close one.  It will be tough, just like the Celtics would have trouble playing this game in Atlanta.  Should be fun though, if you like a good game!  Enjoy the game being up there, because I can assure you that when the C's come to the Atl. Hawks fans will blow the roof off!!!

He said that the lakers are facing dallas on tuesday and hopefully their unbeaten streak will be broken.

Will definently be a great game no question. Hopefully our starters shake their first quarter funk, and put the game out of reach fairly early in the night. It's a shame Smith is out for the hawk's since he did cause us alot of grief in the playoffs.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »

Offline Hawks Best Team

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Didnt think I was being rude, just a misunderstanding.   Anyway sorry.  I like this web page.  I just hope we play up to our potential, 2nd nite back to back games, and lets face it, the C's are one of the best teams in the league.  I'll say it again, Im just glad we've got some real b-ball back in Atl.,by the way the Hawks just went to 6-0!  I know that doesnt seem like much to a C's fan, but after the drought weve had here, Its awesome and something to finally be proud of on the court!

Re: Hawks (6-0) at Celtics (7-1) 11/12
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Didnt think I was being rude, just a misunderstanding.   Anyway sorry.  I like this web page.  I just hope we play up to our potential, 2nd nite back to back games, and lets face it, the C's are one of the best teams in the league.  I'll say it again, Im just glad we've got some real b-ball back in Atl.,by the way the Hawks just went to 6-0!  I know that doesnt seem like much to a C's fan, but after the drought weve had here, Its awesome and something to finally be proud of on the court!
The Celtics are only one year removed from an 18 game losing streak and a 22 year drought... Those of us long time Celtics fans understand.