Author Topic: McDyess (merged threads)  (Read 10512 times)

Re: McDyess is now available
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If possible, sign him.

See if you can package two players (Davis and someone) for another useful bench player (8th-10th man)

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
I'll be as surprised as when we got KG if McDyess chooses the C's over Detroit. I still think Joe Smith might be a better pickup for the backup 4/5 position.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'll be as surprised as when we got KG if McDyess chooses the C's over Detroit. I still think Joe Smith might be a better pickup for the backup 4/5 position.

Maybe the AI factor will help.

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
He will stunt the growth of Powe and Baby and PO Box 26.

did PJ stunt thier growth? They both seem to have come out of that fine.

also, one of those two is going to go. Personaly, i hope its baby, but one of our "tweener" fowards is not long for a C's uni, and i think leon is a much better player IMO.

I know they are playing baby at center, but sorry, i just don't belive in him as part of the regular rotation. I would rather see dice coming into those backup minutes than davis.

POB ahs shown me nothing i want to see mroe of, and apperntly can't show doc anything so far either. His growth matters not one iota to me.

It's a moot point anyway, dice ain't coming to boston.

Why do Boston fans keep perpetuating the myth that BBD and Powe can't be on the same team?  Their games are nothing a like.  In fact they compliment each other.

And adding McDyess would stunt some of their growth because he is much BETTER than PJ ever thought about being which will in turn have Doc playing him major minutes. 

I'm for him coming though because it will hurt whomever else is trying to sign him.

its not a myth in my mind, its two roster slots to undersized players.

Also, i'm not a BBD fan, never have been. he seems like an awesome kid, i don't think he's anywhere near they hype he gets as a basketball player.

It's myth created by Boston fans.  Other than that I'm not sure what hype he gets at least not here.  In fact I see more fans clinging to some ill conceived concept about him losing weight to be more effective.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
There really is no reason outside of Dyess's own comfort for him going back to Detroit. 

What are the two overwhelming reason players say help make their decisions?  1) Money ("it's a business") and 2) a ring.

The Celtics can pay him $800,000 more than Detroit can for this season.  The Celtics are better than the Pistons.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Come on... the deal was only made because there was an agreement between all parts that Denver would release McDyess and he'd return to the Pistons. It's not like this is a novelty in the NBA...

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Come on... the deal was only made because there was an agreement between all parts that Denver would release McDyess and he'd return to the Pistons. It's not like this is a novelty in the NBA...

Yup.  The only difference is McDyess isn't a blabber mouth like Stackhouse was :-X
Yup

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yup.  The only difference is McDyess isn't a blabber mouth like Stackhouse was :-X

Yeah.  I think this is a loophole the NBA should close, because it's essentially allowing teams to circumvent the cap by having salaries not match.  Several teams have done this in recent years -- Detroit with Lindsay Hunter and now McDyess, San Antonio with Barry, Dallas with Stackhouse until it was scuttled, us with Payton. 

I think the league should have the same rules as they do about reacquiring a player you traded (but who hasn't been bought out):  it shouldn't be allowed for one year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 07:03:09 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Boston's Kevin Garnett, also represented by [Andy] Miller, told The Boston Globe that he would "root for" McDyess to join the defending champs instead as the Celtics' replacement for P.J. Brown.

"Dice and I are very cool," Garnett told The Globe. "Obviously, we're competitors. We don't spend a lot of time [together]. But when I do see Dice, I make it my business to speak. I consider him family with Andy and all of us. [Miller's clients are] tight-knit. We're family ... I do consider him family and I always worry about his well-being."

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3694041

We can only hope!!

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
He will stunt the growth of Powe and Baby and PO Box 26.

did PJ stunt thier growth? They both seem to have come out of that fine.

also, one of those two is going to go. Personaly, i hope its baby, but one of our "tweener" fowards is not long for a C's uni, and i think leon is a much better player IMO.

I know they are playing baby at center, but sorry, i just don't belive in him as part of the regular rotation. I would rather see dice coming into those backup minutes than davis.

POB ahs shown me nothing i want to see mroe of, and apperntly can't show doc anything so far either. His growth matters not one iota to me.

It's a moot point anyway, dice ain't coming to boston.

Why do Boston fans keep perpetuating the myth that BBD and Powe can't be on the same team?  Their games are nothing a like.  In fact they compliment each other.

And adding McDyess would stunt some of their growth because he is much BETTER than PJ ever thought about being which will in turn have Doc playing him major minutes. 

I'm for him coming though because it will hurt whomever else is trying to sign him.

its not a myth in my mind, its two roster slots to undersized players.

Also, i'm not a BBD fan, never have been. he seems like an awesome kid, i don't think he's anywhere near they hype he gets as a basketball player.

It's myth created by Boston fans.  Other than that I'm not sure what hype he gets at least not here.  In fact I see more fans clinging to some ill conceived concept about him losing weight to be more effective.

I agree, BBD gets criticized for nothing. TP
All this talk of him not working over the off-season is bogus, imo. The BBD of this season is a significantly better player than the Baby of last season. All the little things, from setting picks to boxing out, he´s improved on. He´s basically last year´s Baby + Scal  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Dice would grow both players, in practice and in games, although I don't think he's coming either.

As for Paddy, I don't care. Cut him today. Fine with me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Any word on Mcdyess?
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He should have cleared waivers by now.  Boston should try to talk him into playing for 1 year and a chance at a ring.  I know he was inclined to return to the Pistons but... the Pistons can't sign him for 30 days.  During that time Ainge should work over McDyess and get him to Boston!!  Anyone else want to see McDyess in Celtic green?  He would be a huge pickup on the level of PJ Brown last year imo.

Re: Any word on Mcdyess?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Given the 30 day waiting period for Detroit and other teams having an opportunity to sign him sooner, I'm thinking no news is bad news for McDyess to Boston (or anywhere other than Detroit) possibilities...and the longer the wait the more strongly I'd think that.
Yup

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Boston's Kevin Garnett, also represented by [Andy] Miller, told The Boston Globe that he would "root for" McDyess to join the defending champs instead as the Celtics' replacement for P.J. Brown.

"Dice and I are very cool," Garnett told The Globe. "Obviously, we're competitors. We don't spend a lot of time [together]. But when I do see Dice, I make it my business to speak. I consider him family with Andy and all of us. [Miller's clients are] tight-knit. We're family ... I do consider him family and I always worry about his well-being."

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3694041

We can only hope!!

Come on KG, get Dyess aboard the Celtics train to the finals!!  Work it, work it!!  :)

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
McDyess is going to the Pistons.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner