Author Topic: Welcome to the Current Events Forum  (Read 12118 times)

Welcome to the Current Events Forum
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Welcome to the new Current Events forum.  As many of you know, last year the staff decided to disallow the discussion of political topics on Celticsblog.  After much internal staff discussion, we decided to allow such conversations again, but only on a provisional basis.  If this forum becomes a problem again, the former rules will be reinstated.

The rules for the forum are as follows:

• Discussion of politics, religion and current events should be confined to the Current Events Forum.  Discussion of politics and related subjects on the front page or in the chat room are prohibited at all times.
  • Do not engage in partisan attacks, unsupported generalizations, or mockery of opposing viewpoints.  All posts must add content to the conversation, and all claims must be supported by facts and/or an argument. Posts such as "Bush sucks!" or "Democrats are leftist Communists!" are not permitted.
  • The staff may lock or delete any thread, for any reason.  Threads that involve illegal or particularly inflammatory topics, such as legalization of drugs or abortion, will be locked on a preemptive basis.
  • Participation in the Current Events Forum is on a discretionary basis.  Posting privileges in the forum can be revoked at any time, for any reason.  There will be zero tolerance policy for rule-breaking in this forum.
  • Violation of site rules with the Current Events Forum will result in automatic and mandatory suspension from that forum.  Further discipline, including suspension or banning from Celticsblog on a site-wide basis, will be at the discretion of the staff.
  • Any poster who wishes to "opt out" of the Current Events Forum may do so.  To disable Current Events posts from showing up in your Latest Forums Topic menu and to disable your access to the forum, contact Roy Hobbs, who will remove your access privileges.

Do not push limits in this forum.  We want measured, considered discussion and debate in this forum; we don't want partisan political bickering.  If you find yourself not being able to comply with the rules, it may be best if you avoid the forum completely.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:29:37 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Welcome to the Current Events Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Does this mean I can congratulate
you on your choice of President?
If so: CONGRATULATIONS!  :)

I hope that people will be "civilized"
in the coming discussions, so that the
future Current Events threads can stay
at CelticsBlog (Funny sentence, that one)

Good decision, gentlemen!

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 202
Wow!!

This could be a time consumer!

Bush is a leftist Communist? --- nah!  :-)

Roy, in all honesty, the best part of your post is the last part that allows us to opt out of this forum.  Is it possible to partake in the CEF without having the threads show up in the Latest Forum Topics?

There's a whole host of diverse and intelligent thinkers here, I look forward to reading their thoughts and hope well respect each other's differing views of the world.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Al Horford

It was more fun slipping in the innuendos in the SOT OTT!!   ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Roy, in all honesty, the best part of your post is the last part that allows us to opt out of this forum.  Is it possible to partake in the CEF without having the threads show up in the Latest Forum Topics?

At this time, I'm not sure if the topics will be showing up on the front page.  I'd prefer that they don't, but there are certain software limitations, so it's "wait and see" for now.

In terms of the Latest Forum Topics widget once you enter the forums, there's no way to disable the topics from appearing over there, assuming you have access to the forum.  Once somebody opts out, they will no longer appear.

Hopefully if / when we upgrade the forums in the future, there will be more customizable options for us.  Right now, we're bound by our software.  Suggestions, though, are always appreciated.

EDIT:  Okay, they show up on the front page.  I'm not sure that there's much that can be done about that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5062
Oh good, now I can restart my discussion on the recent excellent political satire and performances of politicians on Saturday Night Live which, by the way, I still say probably won't involve a lot of discussion on politics.

As much as I love political debate though, I think I am going to avoid this forum. Celticsblog, I thought made the right decision to avoid this discussion. I didn't feel that way at first but I did in time and I hope it will be a long lasting and productive place.

I have my doubts however and will probably do a lot more reading than I do participation.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 148
Oh good, now I can restart my discussion on the recent excellent political satire and performances of politicians on Saturday Night Live which, by the way, I still say probably won't involve a lot of discussion on politics.

As much as I love political debate though, I think I am going to avoid this forum. Celticsblog, I thought made the right decision to avoid this discussion. I didn't feel that way at first but I did in time and I hope it will be a long lasting and productive place.

I have my doubts however and will probably do a lot more reading than I do participation.

same, not sure you can have a political discussion without taking sides, unless your of this race:

and thus i will lurk and rarley post, though i think the forum idea is fine, i just don't trust myself to stay netrual.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

It was more fun slipping in the innuendos in the SOT OTT!!   ;)

Well, we can still do that  :)

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Al Horford

I agree with this -- both Nick and I were strong participants the last time around, but I think the site grew when the current events threads stopped.  That being said, I always enjoyed reading Nick's viewpoints on national, social and world affairs.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I agree with this -- both Nick and I were strong participants the last time around, but I think the site grew when the current events threads stopped.  That being said, I always enjoyed reading Nick's viewpoints on national, social and world affairs.

I thought the problem with the political forums previously is that we had "repeat offenders" who made things unpleasant for everyone.  Now, we'll just restrict their posting privileges, without necessarily having to ban them site wide (although potentially).  Hopefully that provides a happy medium for everyone.

I enjoy the discussions, and hopefully now that the election is in the past, people can have constructive arguments regarding how to go forward.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Al Horford

I thought the problem with the political forums previously is that we had "repeat offenders" who made things unpleasant for everyone.  Now, we'll just restrict their posting privileges, without necessarily having to ban them site wide (although potentially).  Hopefully that provides a happy medium for everyone.

I enjoy the discussions, and hopefully now that the election is in the past, people can have constructive arguments regarding how to go forward.

amen

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 75
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I like this idea, and I hope it works out. Like Nick, I have my doubts though. Regardless, I will weigh in occasionally if necessary but certainly more reading than posting will be done by me.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 641

same, not sure you can have a political discussion without taking sides, unless your of this race:

and thus i will lurk and rarley post, though i think the forum idea is fine, i just don't trust myself to stay netrual.

You don't have to stay neutral, you just have to stay respectful, and avoid generalizations and attacks.  There would be no point in discussions like this, if people couldn't "choose sides" (although I don't like putting it that way), but the key is having the self control to differentiate between arguing against or for a particular topic, and simply throwing blanket attacks on everyone who disagrees with you.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Well said, Chris.  +1.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 243
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Is this move is sort of like the Celtics Blogs bail out plan, for the blogger post recession?

;)