Author Topic: Lakers this year's Pistons?  (Read 9229 times)

Lakers this year's Pistons?
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
Okay so most of you remember that the Pistons were (in addition to the Celtics) the talk of the town last year as the sole challengers to the Celtics for the crown pretty much for the whole year.

Well I've been looking at some of the team stats over at Yahoo and found that the Lakers are one of the top-ranked teams out there. Defensive boards, point differential (killing the rest of the league), Opp FG%, top 10 in fewest TO's, top 10 in fewest times opponents are going to the line (from what I can remember) pretty much makes it seem like they're this year's - dare I say it - Celtics (yeah I know it's not the title post. So sue me). There is of course already hype that they're the favorites for the title this year but it would seem like it's got some substance to it. They've only played 5 games so far with one real challenge, the Rockets, and they totally blew them out by about 29 pts with Yao TMac and Artest playing normal minutes.

If you read some of the coverage you'll see that their new focus is on D, something which has shown up pretty well in their stats. My question is, what are the chances that this makes a huge difference come December 25 when we play them? I think it would be stupid to underestimate them.. anyone have insight as to what kind of defensive schemes, etc. they're using?

---

Last edit: yeah I know it's only 5 games into the season.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:48:11 AM by albert »
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

Re: Lakers this year's Pistons?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:10:44 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
They have been pretty dominant so far this year.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Can't wait to play them, that's all I'm thinking.

We will be a reality check for them.  :D

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Can't wait to play them, that's all I'm thinking.

We will be a reality check for them.  :D

Second that motion. TP.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Answer to this thread. NO!

okay, moving on. The Lakers have played well, but I have watched 3 games out of the 5, and the other teams they played, Played horrible. I watched the Blazers vs. Lakers and I had a friend who almost never watches basketball, repeatedly comment: [dang] this is ugly, wow, this is boring, they suck(POR)etc. I know thats not really who I should be quoting, but it was true. I watched the 1st quarter and the 3rd. Only because there was nothing else on.

Clippers game. lol they have sum fire power, but they play like the Thunder. nough said.

Rockets, still sour about the C's victory to focus on the Fakers?

The Lakers are good right now. We'll see how long they can stay up their in the DEF rankings.

Dont forget we play DEF every single second, of every single possession, of every single quarter, of every single game, ALL YEAR LONG. lets go Celts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:41:20 AM by EatSleepBreatheGreen »

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
NBA blocks leaders:

1. D. Howard ORL   4.0
2. A. Bynum LAL   2.8
3. K. Perkins BOS   2.7

Looking forward to seeing these two do battle.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Got to hand it to the Lakers. They've been playing great up to this point. Also heard that they've stepped up their D so far this year so good for them. But the question is, how long can they keep this up? The C's proved last season that 'defense' is their bread and butter. The Lakers have yet to sustain it through a month in the season.

With that said, can't wait to see the Celtics match up against the Lakers on Christmas Day. May the better 'D' win.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
It's worth remembering that the Lakers weren't exactly defensively slouches last year.  In fact, they finished fifth in basketball in defensive efficiency.  Thus far this season, they've indeed taken that to another level, and their interior defense really looks excellent - they blocked ten shots against Houston last night, and the Rockets seemed suffocated every time they tried to get in the lane.  Curious to see whether the Lakers can continue this level of play at that end of the floor.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bynum put that team over the top.  They are unstoppable.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's worth remembering that the Lakers weren't exactly defensively slouches last year.  In fact, they finished fifth in basketball in defensive efficiency.  Thus far this season, they've indeed taken that to another level, and their interior defense really looks excellent - they blocked ten shots against Houston last night, and the Rockets seemed suffocated every time they tried to get in the lane.  Curious to see whether the Lakers can continue this level of play at that end of the floor.

-sw

I think they'll crumble under the Celts defensive intensity, yet again.  I do think, though, that they'll make it out of the West again.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hawks and Lakers in the finals.  They are both going 82-0

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I know its early on Bynum but does anybody else think 15 million a year for 9ppg, 9rpg is too much?

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
I think they are better, and I think we are still better.

I think the teams that troubled us last year were more athletic teams and Lebron-teams.  Baring injury, we will be fine against their improved team defense concept, because we can get around these guys--period.

Currently, in spite of our big three all aging a year, our team IS more athletic this year with more playing time for TA and our bench. 

I would love nothing more than a repeat of last year's finals.  It was a dream come true last year (in fact that would be a GREAT forum topic: go ahead and try to write a better script for last year!)

Couldn't the Hornets take their place though? ???
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 05:16:58 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

-sw

Two comments. One, I saw Houston in Portland before they came down to play LA. Houston's offense is horrible right now. So, measuring the Lakers against the Rockets isn't saying much.

And second, the Lakers have had a pretty soft schedule thusfar (mostly home games).

In sum, I don't disagree with what you've said, but I'd put extra emphasis the part about being curious to see whether the Lakers can continue their admittedly strong defensive play. Personally, I think it will have to drop off some.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Lakers defensive system shares the same fundamentals of Celtics' system, for example. It's a quasi-zone, stressing over-help, with the goal of crowding the strongside and stop dribble penetrations. The C's put more emphasis in protecting the paint while the Lakers are more focused on attacking the ball and the passing lanes, fronting the post, creating havoc, trapping the ball handler and causing turnovers. The most similar system is probably the one that George Karl uses in Denver, he learned it from Coach Kloppenburg during his tenure in Seattle, I think.

This kind of defensive systems are generally vulnerable to crisp and quick ball movement, skip passes, good outside shooting from the weakside, bigs who can play in and out and are quick moving to the empty spaces, and balanced offensive weapons - it makes life more difficult for teams that rely on their stars to carry the scoring load (like most NBA teams). It's the kind of defense European teams play and the better way of beating it is by playing the kind of offense European teams use.

Anyway, defensive schemes don't matter that much. Verbal communication and good individual defenders are the foundations of good defense, not x's and o's. They added a strong defensive presence in Bynum, a healthy Ariza, who is a great player to have in this kind of system because his combination of length and quickness allows him to be a disruptive presence and Kobe, who is an excellent commander-in-chief and keeps everybody talking and accountable. More than the new schemes, those are factors that are making their defense so good. But when it's all said and done, it's going to be about execution. If their perimeter defenders can't force the opponent wings to the baseline or wherever they have the help, the system will eventually fall apart: over-help systems are great but, at some point, the help chain collapses.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:17:40 PM by cordobes »