Author Topic: Come on Fearless Leader!!  (Read 10071 times)

Re: Come on Fearless Leader!!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Not trying to make excuses for Pierce but when i listen to him in the postgame comments with Greg Dickerson,sounds like Paul is physically ill(cold/flu possibility.He sounds real hoarse and looks sick a little.Maybe he hasnt felt up to par in the 2or 3 previous games,just a thought.

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
PP just proved me right in that one. For the first half and part way through the 3rd Q he was plugging along half-heartedly. Then finally THE TRUTH decided to show. He stepped up his D, got more aggressive out there, and took that game over. His D translated into offense. That is all I was looking for Paul! Next time let's do that in the first quarter. Then we don't have to win a nail biter.

When he plays his complete game he is really the man and truly our fearless leader...

so what was KG, rondo, ray allen, and perk's problem for the first half if pierce's was just not caring? same or do they get a pass?

This lack of effort your putting on pierce contagious, or all of them being beat on a back to back with a ton of travel?

I'll vote Back to back rust and facing a good team, and the sprained wrist thats been bothering him apperntly

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:53:51 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
PP just proved me right in that one. For the first half and part way through the 3rd Q he was plugging along half-heartedly. Then finally THE TRUTH decided to show. He stepped up his D, got more aggressive out there, and took that game over. His D translated into offense. That is all I was looking for Paul! Next time let's do that in the first quarter. Then we don't have to win a nail biter.

When he plays his complete game he is really the man and truly our fearless leader...

so what was KG, rondo, ray allen, and perk's problem for the first half if pierce's was just not caring? same or do they get a pass?

This lack of effort your putting on pierce contagious, or all of them being beat on a back to back with a ton of travel?

I'll vote Back to back rust and facing a good team.

I strongly disagree with EJ that Paul wasn't trying in the 1st half and then all of a sudden decided to care once they got down by 15. This team has struggled to start off games this year, not only Paul, and I'm not sure how EJ will ever be able to prove that Paul isn't giving it his all. It really isn't fair at all to Paul to start doubting his effort after a few bad starts, after all that he's done for this franchise. Tonight the guy passed Cousy for career FT attempts, and now McHale I believe is the only Celtic to shoot more FTs than him. That, right there, is effort for you.

The way Pierce played in the first half completely disproved EJ's point, if you ignore the boxscore and just use your eyes. Tommy was getting on the team for shooting too many outside shots, but most of Pierce's long distance attempts were wide open, and were definitely not "settled" upon by Paul. And since when do missed shots equal poor effort? Also, Paul tried on numerous occasions to drive to the hoop - he just missed a few bunnies uncharacteristically. Again, he may have been having a rough time out there, but all the missed layups proved was that he was having a bad half. Finally, there was one play Paul made in the first half that assured me that Paul Pierce is still Paul Pierce. Right after the Celtics had gotten, as Tommy called it, "embarassed," when Kapono dished it off to Humphries for the slam, I said to myself that Paul was going to get the basketball and truck it into the lane. Even though it was early in the game, Paul knew that he needed to put a stop to the Raptors' momentum, and he did so (temporarily) the way he knows best: drive to the hole.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 02:39:35 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
http://www.nba.com/games/20081110/TORBOS/recap.html

Nuff said?

My God. I watched the game last night but was too tired to comment then, but I read the recap this morning and I swear I was going to post the recap link with the words "nuff said" with it. No joke, great minds think alike huh?

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 07:05:14 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
http://www.nba.com/games/20081110/TORBOS/recap.html

Nuff said?

My God. I watched the game last night but was too tired to comment then, but I read the recap this morning and I swear I was going to post the recap link with the words "nuff said" with it. No joke, great minds think alike huh?

That's right, my good man  ;)

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
To a certain extent Paul will coast on offense - and then turn it on at times. I don't see any problem with that. The OP was mocking Paul's output in an easy win. But PP is all about the team winning - not about individual numbers. Could he score 25+ points every night if he wanted to? Sure. But he tries to play a team first game and take things over when they NEED him too.

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Come on guys. Stop changing what I was saying! I said that PP wasn't coming out with defensive intensity and it was hurting this team. I wondered why. In the post game interview PP said exactly that. He said that they weren't coming out to start games with the defensive intensity that they needed to and included last nights game. PP is backing up what I said. I don't need anyone else on here to validate that. The man himself agreed. He said they needed to do a better job and they weren't playing as intense on the defensive end as they should. How can anyone continue to disagree with my point after that?!

I said that I wasn't worried about his offense, that it would come back. I stated that if he stepped up the D the team would follow. There was an obvious difference in that game when he and KG started playing that way. No one can dismiss that. Then the entire team started feeding off that and we started coming back. PP's timely return of his jumper sealed it, and I credit his defense for getting that going as well. I hope he listens to his own words of wisdom and starts the games this way.

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Come on guys. Stop changing what I was saying! I said that PP wasn't coming out with defensive intensity and it was hurting this team. I wondered why. In the post game interview PP said exactly that. He said that they weren't coming out to start games with the defensive intensity that they needed to and included last nights game. PP is backing up what I said. I don't need anyone else on here to validate that. The man himself agreed. He said they needed to do a better job and they weren't playing as intense on the defensive end as they should. How can anyone continue to disagree with my point after that?!

I said that I wasn't worried about his offense, that it would come back. I stated that if he stepped up the D the team would follow. There was an obvious difference in that game when he and KG started playing that way. No one can dismiss that. Then the entire team started feeding off that and we started coming back. PP's timely return of his jumper sealed it, and I credit his defense for getting that going as well. I hope he listens to his own words of wisdom and starts the games this way.
I have to give a TP to EJ here because he is right.

His criticism, and that's all it was it wasn't "mocking" or "throwing under the bus" or some of the more inflammatory ways used to describe EJ's original post, was with his defensive intensity and a possible perceived lack of focus. Let's not twist his words because you may not like the direction his criticism is aimed. He had a valid point that more than one other person here agreed with.

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

His criticism, and that's all it was it wasn't "mocking" or "throwing under the bus" or some of the more inflammatory ways used to describe EJ's original post, was with his defensive intensity and a possible perceived lack of focus. Let's not twist his words because you may not like the direction his criticism is aimed. He had a valid point that more than one other person here agreed with.

his point is it's due to a lack of effort, which i certainly DON't agree with. The struggles are thier, and EJ made a good argument, but no, i don't accept that Paul is coasting on defense and not trying, sorry.

I also don't accept that getting in foul trouble in one game and having a kid go off on everyone consititutes "proof" of lack of focus and effort, and yet all the other good defensive preformances were because of, and I'm qouting "Taking bad shots and clanging up threes" is an acceptable out for one half of your argument being falicious.

People take and clang 3's because they can't drive due to good defense, not because they say "well, i COULD drive, this guys not putting the effort in, but screw it, i love shooting from way outside my range, im a moron"

EJ made his argument about pierce's lack of effort and commitment and disagreement, and He's argued it well. Not agreeing with him doesn't mean i'm somehow summarily dismissing paul's  struggles or "changing what he's saying"

You questioned paul's effort and commitment to defense, using specfic examples. I challanged those examples. How is that changing what your saying?

To EJ i would say, don't change your argument halfway through. You argued it well, and to be sure, you could be right and i could be wrong, i don't know the man, mabey he is dogging it on defense and not coming out with defensive intensity, but its odd that every example i bring up (I.E the 5/7 games where he was good to great) is dissmised out of hand while his two bad games (granger and prince) are magnified.

He did well on arrtest? arrtest wanted to shoot bad shots all night, nothing to do with paul.

Did well on green? He's a rookie, of course paul did well.

Did well on LBJ? lebron wanted to take jumpers and shoot 30%, it was part of his plan, nothing to do with paul.

He held RJ to below his averages? doesn't matter, RJ tourched him.

I fail to see how providing examples of when paul put in good defensive effort is "changing the argument" when the argument, as per the post was "paul isn't bringing good defensive effort, and thats hurting the team"

its having a diffreing opnion, which is allowed . It doesn't mean im 100% right nor that EJ is 100% wrong, it means we disagree. and how boring would this borad be of we agreed on everything 100% of the time?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

his point is it's due to a lack of effort, which i certainly DON't agree with. The struggles are thier, and EJ made a good argument, but no, i don't accept that Paul is coasting on defense and not trying, sorry.

I also don't accept that getting in foul trouble in one game and having a kid go off on everyone consititutes "proof" of lack of focus and effort, and yet all the other good defensive preformances were because of, and I'm qouting "Taking bad shots and clanging up threes" is an acceptable out for one half of your argument being falicious.

People take and clang 3's because they can't drive due to good defense, not because they say "well, i COULD drive, this guys not putting the effort in, but screw it, i love shooting from way outside my range, im a moron"

EJ made his argument about pierce's lack of effort and commitment and disagreement, and He's argued it well. Not agreeing with him doesn't mean i'm somehow summarily dismissing paul's  struggles or "changing what he's saying"

You questioned paul's effort and commitment to defense, using specfic examples. I challanged those examples. How is that changing what your saying?

To EJ i would say, don't change your argument halfway through. You argued it well, and to be sure, you could be right and i could be wrong, i don't know the man, mabey he is dogging it on defense and not coming out with defensive intensity, but its odd that every example i bring up (I.E the 5/7 games where he was good to great) is dissmised out of hand while his two bad games (granger and prince) are magnified.

He did well on arrtest? arrtest wanted to shoot bad shots all night, nothing to do with paul.

Did well on green? He's a rookie, of course paul did well.

Did well on LBJ? lebron wanted to take jumpers and shoot 30%, it was part of his plan, nothing to do with paul.

He held RJ to below his averages? doesn't matter, RJ tourched him.

I fail to see how providing examples of when paul put in good defensive effort is "changing the argument" when the argument, as per the post was "paul isn't bringing good defensive effort, and thats hurting the team"

its having a diffreing opnion, which is allowed . It doesn't mean im 100% right nor that EJ is 100% wrong, it means we disagree. and how boring would this borad be of we agreed on everything 100% of the time?

You are definitely entitled to your opinion and to disagree, however I have one thing on this one on my side that you don't. That's PP himself agreeing with me.  So argue that he and I are wrong all you want, but he himself said the exact same thing that I did on TV last night after the game. I think that is one in my corner thank you very much...

I do appreciate your comments on here though Crownsy. Keep up the great effort! TP to you for your insight and being a great fan.

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 11:52:58 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
(...)
(...)

There's nothing more contagious in a basketball team than lack of effort on the defensive end. Not even the flu. It only takes a single player to dismantle an entire defense, it's just a matter of time. Theoretically, I doubt it's the case here.

Pierce's defense was also off for a good part of last night game. Pretty obvious, in my eyes. He was not the only one though. For instance, Rondo was going under when guarding Calderon even without Garnett on the floor and I doubt that was what coaches asked him. There were a couple of times in the first half were two players were running to close out the same shooter. Rotations and overall defensive focus need to be tuned.

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Guys Pierce is probably adjusting to his weight loss...you can tell that his shooting is off early because of his free throw shooting...PP is not a BAD free throw shooter and getting his wrist hurt doesn't help at all!

Pierce's defense can obviously be better but do you guys know how hard it is to guard some of the guys he's guarding? Maybe he is cheating a little bit to give help somewhere else leaving his man open a little more but that can be fixed easily.

Pierce isn't the only one taking and missing his jumpers...KG, Ray, Eddie, Rondo....all of them can't make jumpers consistently and they seem to like to start off with a flurry of them early when penetrating and scoring down low could potentially work better.

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Reminder to all:
WE'RE STILL 7 AND 1  ;)

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I hate to keep bringing this up, but I love our fearless leader.  MVP material these last two games.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:32:48 AM by ma11l »
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."