Author Topic: Celtics youngsters growing up before our eyes.  (Read 6529 times)

Celtics youngsters growing up before our eyes.
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:05:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As many here know, I wasn't the biggest fan of the Celtics off season. However, I did acknowledge and agreed with many, many more that this was still going to be a formidable team because their young players would get better and so make up for any shortcomings in the possible makeup of the bench. I agreed but also thought and might have mentioned once that sometimes young players aren't a given to improve every year, sometimes they even take a step back. Yes, I remember saying that.

Well, so far, could I or anyone else be any happier with the way that the young players on this Celtics team have progressed thus far this season. Except for Rondo's shooting outside of 5 feet from the basket and Leon's FT shooting woes, all the youngsters have definitely improved their game.

Rondo appears so much more in control of the offense and his passing at times has been spectacular. He had 3 or 4 things of absolute basketball beauty last night. His defense might be even better than last year. When his shooting comes around, Rondo will be a very dangerous player.

Perk is staying on the floor, sometimes. He still fouls a lot but he's spacing it out and because of that his presence on the floor is so much better than last year. Blocks, blocks, blocks the last three games. Unreal defense against Yao and anyone who entered the paint last night. His outside shot is dropping and he's still being ignored as the last offensive option by other teams. His overall game is noticeably better.

Leon has become an off the bench beast having only continued with his excellent play of last year and been the most consistent bench player thus far this year. He often is playing against players larger than himself and yet is constantly outplaying them, out rebounding them, out hustling them. I am amazed at the amount of rebounds he can pull down with taller players around him. He and Davis might not be the tallest front court but they can be the most surprising in regards to effectiveness.

Ahhhhh, Tony. Okay, I haven't liked your game for years and still don't. But even me, one of your bigger critics can see the difference in your play. You are driving into the lane with your head up and with less abandon. Your defense, except for the first half of game one has been exemplary. You are making good passes underneath and appear, without a doubt to be at least a step and a half quicker than this time last year and the elevation is almost completely back. I still hate the fact that you can still be faked in the air by the occasional head fake and that you somehow find a way to dribble the ball off your foot a couple of times a week, but you are much improved and you are proving me wrong. Good for you.

Big Baby. As far as I am concerned he may have come further than maybe anyone else with the least amount of physical work. His basketball mind and effort and determination have been taken to a higher level and is easily seen on the floor. He's not rebounding in big numbers but he is boxing out people so that other teammates will get the rebound and he is keeping a lot of balls alive for other teammates with tips. His defense has been stellar. His screens and picks and offensive ball movement have been maybe the best on the team. He crashes the offensive boards, maybe not with the best results but the determination and will to get them is there and yet he is always back on defense. He has worked on that outside shot and last night it started dropping. He's come a long way and if he has the same type of mental effort in his diet and conditioning could be quite a force.

The confidence that these young players exhibit is something. They are five players that make up the core of this team and yet here are their current ages:

Rondo - 22
Perk - 23
Leon - 24
Baby - 22
Allen - 26

Something about being around the the veteran superstars and players and earning those rings have empowered these players to play with a confidence and skill level that belies their collective ages. It appears it is Danny's plan to keep this group together and add or re-sign or sign superstars as the Big Three's contracts end and, if indeed that is his plan, it is one that is working marvelously thus far.

Also, is it just me or are these guys getting a lot more respect from the refs and not getting all the stupid ticky tack fouls that they used to be called for. Amazing what a little bling will do for your game.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:56:40 AM by nickagneta »

Re: Celtics youngsters growing up before our eyes.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The young guys are definitely getting more respect.  It seems like every time Leon gets the ball he ends up at the line.  I loved Perk's shot blocking last night.  Perk is so critical to this team.  He adds a dimension that no other player adds with his ability to play physical defense under the hoop AND intimidate as a shot blocker.  When Perk has his A-game, the whole team plays on another leverl.  Keep up the effort and consistency, Perk!  And his skills are definitely coming along.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Great breakdown Nick.

You have to be happy with what you've seen so far. 

The Celts are getting 30+ points a night from the bench (last night 40+).  Beyond the stats they are getting stability and a bit of attitude from the bench.  The attitude was my biggest concern with Posey's departure.

It's early yet, but the signs are good.

Perk for MIP!
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Great breakdown.  They aren't perfect but, they all play their role and play it hard.

The BBD/Powe tandem is a nightmare for the other team's bench.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Great breakdown.  They aren't perfect but, they all play their role and play it hard.

The BBD/Powe tandem is a nightmare for the other team's bench.
Their chemistry together is quite remarkable. I think they might just play their best when they are both on the floor together. I think I'm going to have to get to Waltham to watch a practice if and when they open them up. I'd love to see KG and Perk vs. Powe and Baby. It must be a heck of a show.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
I love it too, and I it's great that we have a second tier of young players who have to be hungry and disciplined to even get ON the floor. 

Pruitt
POB
Giddens
Walker

This is really the franchise of my dreams!  Paul had been begging for veterans to join on and help him carry the team, and now we have a big three, vets on the bench, and scal on the very end of the bench keeping things balanced.  It's great to see such balance on a team, with talented prospects in the wings to grow into their roles when there are injuries, FA losses and garbage time.

GO CELTS!
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I love it too, and I it's great that we have a second tier of young players who have to be hungry and disciplined to even get ON the floor. 

Pruitt
POB
Giddens
Walker

This is really the franchise of my dreams!  Paul had been begging for veterans to join on and help him carry the team, and now we have a big three, vets on the bench, and scal on the very end of the bench keeping things balanced.  It's great to see such balance on a team, with talented prospects in the wings to grow into their roles when there are injuries, FA losses and garbage time.

GO CELTS!

TP for the scal apprec.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Ahhhhh, Tony. Okay, I haven't liked your game for years and still don't. But even me, one of your bigger critics can see the difference in your play. You are driving into the lane with your head up and with less abandon. Your defense, except for the first half of game one has been exemplary. You are making good passes underneath and appear, without a doubt to be at least a step and a half quicker than this time last year and the elevation is almost completely back. I still hate the fact that you can still be faked in the air by the occasional head fake and that you somehow find a way to dribble the ball off your foot a couple of times a week, but you are much improved and you are proving me wrong. Good for you.

Maybe you didn't follow the C's during the 24 win season of whatever. I don't know. Or perhaps your not a great judge of talent. But TA's play is entirely expected. he was a dominant player on both ends of the court that year before he got hurt. Not just good - but dominating.

This isn't anything "new" from TA - it's a return to form. And he isn't 100% back yet. His jumper still isn't quite where it used to be.

Pete

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Sweet17, Tony played great for that month a couple years ago but you are forgetting one thing- he didn't help us win a single game in that stretch!  I love what Tony is doing now, and I realize this opinion is looked at as sacreligious on this blog, but I believe that Tony does more things to help this team than Ray at this point.  And I realize that spacing the floor is not one of them.  Tony has been playing great defense, he breaks down the opposing defense with penetration and has been finishing great or dishing off.  Another aspect that goes unmentioned is the amount of "garbage points" that Tony accumulates- off steals, putbacks, being the first one down the court, etc.  Tony's easy buckets are a huge bonus against a good defense.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Sweet17, Tony played great for that month a couple years ago but you are forgetting one thing- he didn't help us win a single game in that stretch!  I love what Tony is doing now, and I realize this opinion is looked at as sacreligious on this blog, but I believe that Tony does more things to help this team than Ray at this point.  And I realize that spacing the floor is not one of them.  Tony has been playing great defense, he breaks down the opposing defense with penetration and has been finishing great or dishing off.  Another aspect that goes unmentioned is the amount of "garbage points" that Tony accumulates- off steals, putbacks, being the first one down the court, etc.  Tony's easy buckets are a huge bonus against a good defense.

I think Sweet17 is dead on.  Also you can't pin losses from that team on 1 player.   Paul was hurt and wasn't playing, Ray and KG weren't here,  Perk was playing on that hurt foot (plantar flacisitis sp?), Rondo was in his rookie year, Wally was hurt, and so forth.   Not many players even in short time period for a month or 2 can put up about 20 PPG, shooting over 50% from the field, and providing strong defense.  He is really going to help our bench this year as long as he stays healthy. 

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Actually I think he helped us win one or two. I think we won 2 out of 5 while Pierce was down and Tony as our main wing scorer. The 19 game losing streak started after he went down.

I just wish Tony had the same athleticism. He's still just as fast, but the explosiveness has taken a noticeable step back. Even though he's lost a lot of explosiveness he's stil a very explosive player.  Noticing this just makes me realize how great an athlete Tony was. 

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Maybe you didn't follow the C's during the 24 win season of whatever. I don't know. Or perhaps your not a great judge of talent. But TA's play is entirely expected. he was a dominant player on both ends of the court that year before he got hurt. Not just good - but dominating.

This isn't anything "new" from TA - it's a return to form. And he isn't 100% back yet. His jumper still isn't quite where it used to be.

Pete

I have watched just about every game the Celtic have played since the late nineties and no Allen's game was not expected. He played great basketball for about 20 games in one season out of 5. That's it.

Tony has for years played without abandon driving to the basket with his head down and almost never making a pass while driving. He has always been easily fooled into overreacting defensively on certain moves. His passing even in the exterior has been lazy and not well thought out at times. His ball handling has been close to atrocious for long, long periods of time. His shot is still ugly and not effective outside of 15 feet.

And just about everything I wrote in the above paragraph has been true for all but 20 or so games of 4 plus years. There was no guarantee that Tony would revert back to that type of play. There was hopeful expectations of it, but to say it was expected might be stretching it a bit. Tony today is just not all that much smarter of a ball player than he was when he entered the league.

If he maintains this play consistently, I will be happy to say that he finally matured. But even Danny Ainge may have had trepidations that Tony wouldn't play to this level as it was widely regarded in the off season that if Posey re-signed then it would have meant Tony was gone because he wasn't a sure thing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:39:16 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 09:01:50 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671

Ray has probably been the best player on the team over the last five games.  I know Tony had a heck of a game last night, but let's not get overexcited about it.

I think Ray's effect on the first team is very underrated.  Rondo's a slasher, Perk plays underneath, and KG plays midrange and in.  Paul can shoot, but slashing is really where he's at his best.  Ray is the only player on the first team that keeps defenders honest.  If you replace Ray with Tony, that first unit doesn't function because the paint would be clogged.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Tony played great again

and As pointed before his matchup against Iversons Sixers is better
than the one we have before against Chauncey

This trade only beneffit us

Oh Well

Lets go Cs
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
No doubt our bench has come along ways. I love watching the bench crew with Pierce, T Allen, Powe, BBD, and House. They bring a different vibe to our team don't let up on defense. By the time the starters come back in the other team is spent.

Celts may not win 66 games this year, but I think we have a better team than last year. Playoff proven.

Going to have some tough decision when we have to sign BBD and Powe.