Author Topic: What do we need to do to get the first team offense going?!  (Read 8014 times)

What do we need to do to get the first team offense going?!
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I am not sure why this year we are having so much trouble with our starters and their offensive production. It seems like every game this year they come out flat. They take so long to get into their offensive set, and often don't look like they have a game plan. Last year at this time we were blowing guys off the court with that first unit. The second unit is actually playing better as a team than the first. What's the big difference this year?! According to the Hollinger stats on ESPN we are 27th in the league offensively right now! (Before you throw it out there, yes I know it is only a few games in and we need to give them time, but this time last year we didn't seem to have any trouble offensively) It's a good thing we are 2nd defensively.

Re: What do we need to do to get the first team offense going?!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think that's the main problem with our starters. Surely, the offense is not clicking as it should, but the main problem with our starters so far has been their collective defense in my opinion. Pretty much all teams have scored on them in bunches in the 1st quarter. But as you say, the offense has not been good for them.

Another problem has been our turnovers... so far this season it has been travelling and butter fingers central.

Another is the passiveness from our PG. I can't say it enough, but Rondo has to start looking to penetrate more. Even if he's not looking to score, he should at least threaten to do so. He crosses half court, and doesn't look at the basket even once. Not putting the blame on him for our struggles, since we are not shooting well either, but he's the PG and it starts with him. He should be constantly at the meat of the defense causing trouble... forcing the defense to close out on him so that the ball movement improves.

As you say, our 2nd unit has been getting it done, and it has started with their defense.

But, yeah our offense is a huge concern... but so far, in my opinion, it has been the collective defense of our starters (especially in the first quarter) that I've been mainly unhappy with.

We might be 27th in the league in points per game, but our FG% at 44% is not that bad.

We're awful in free-throws too. That has played a huge role in our offensive struggles.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:30:09 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't think that's the main problem with our starters. Surely, the offense is not clicking as it should, but the main problem with our starters so far has been their collective defense in my opinion. Pretty much all teams have scored on them in bunches in the 1st quarter. But as you say, the offense has not been good for them.

Another problem has been our turnovers... so far this season it has been travelling and butter fingers central.

Another is the passiveness from our PG. I can't say it enough, but Rondo has to start looking to penetrate more. Even if he's not looking to score, he should at least threaten to do so. He crosses half court, and doesn't look at the basket even once. Not putting the blame on him for our struggles, since we are not shooting well either, but he's the PG and it starts with him. He should be constantly at the meat of the defense causing trouble... forcing the defense to close out on him so that the ball movement improves.

As you say, our 2nd unit has been getting it done, and it has started with their defense.

But, yeah our offense is a huge concern... but so far, in my opinion, it has been the collective defense of our starters (especially in the first quarter) that I've been mainly unhappy with.

We might be 27th in the league in points per game, but our FG% at 44% is not that bad.

We're awful in free-throws too. That has played a huge role in our offensive struggles.

I'm agreeing with about all of it! Their turnovers have been unbelievably bad. PP has been bad both offensively and defensively, although we know he'll turn it around. I can't believe how he just let Jefferson destroy him last night early without even seeming to try and step it up. The only one I have seen really get after it defensively is Perk. It's like they think they can turn it on at will. They probably can most of the time, but games like the Pacers loss show we can't assume we can fall behind and come back.

The first of last year we were coming out and running guys off the floor and inserting our second lineup. This year we are coming out lazy. Free throws have not helped either. Powe needs to spend some time on them and he can add 3-4 pts pg to his average.

Rondo does control the tempo and there are times where he goes out and dominates, and times where he just isn't that effective. You hit it on the head with his driving to the basket. Against Houston he did it. Against the Pacers he didn't. He didn't last night either. When he attacks the rim we are a totally different team.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:16:23 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
set picks, more slashing to the paint, and back-door floor movement.

I think the team is passive in the 1st quarter, taking shots from the other team and other boxing metaphors.  They may be in pre-season mode, when you look at the lack of energy and intensity on offense, but they were like that last year, too.  Doesn't it seem they are watching what the other team wants to do, and not asserting themselves and imposing their game on them? 

why not run set plays for pure shooters like Ray and post ups for  KG?
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Start the bench!! The starters seem to play better after they come in following the bench.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think KG said this last night and there is some truth to it.  Being the champions we are taking the other teams best punch in the first 6 minutes or so of the game before they level off to who they really are.  I think most of the games so far the bench has come in to cut into the other's team lead and the starters then come in again and extend our lead before halftime.   

The big 3's shooting percentages are down significantly especially Paul's but it's do to change.  I'm not too concerned right now as the shooting percentages should revert back to close to what they were last year. 

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's game and how our starters play out of the gate. 

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 01:57:15 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think KG said this last night and there is some truth to it.  Being the champions we are taking the other teams best punch in the first 6 minutes or so of the game before they level off to who they really are.  I think most of the games so far the bench has come in to cut into the other's team lead and the starters then come in again and extend our lead before halftime.   

The big 3's shooting percentages are down significantly especially Paul's but it's do to change.  I'm not too concerned right now as the shooting percentages should revert back to close to what they were last year. 

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's game and how our starters play out of the gate. 
I see it that way to what KG said.Most teams come out smoking the first 5 or so minutes and the starters get the big first punch.But i do see them a little less UP in the beginning this season than last.At least it looks that way to me.KG doesnt seem to carry that HIGH OCTANE spirit as much this season so far like last season.It always seem to begin with him as far as setting the tone for the starters in the past.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think our starters need to play more inside out because their jumpers just aren't falling.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I think our starters need to play more inside out because their jumpers just aren't falling.

It's strange, they just don't seem to want to this at the start of the game, then once the bench has set the tone they start taking it inside more in their 2nd stints.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I think a lot of it has to do with rust. Last year, the team held informal scrimmages throughout September and then during the preseason, the starters logged a lot of minutes to develop chemistry. This year, Doc told the players to stay away from the gym and the starters played sparingly during the preseason. It shows in the poor free throw shooting, poor field goal shooting, turnovers and poor spacing sometimes. KG's jumper isn't as deadly yet as it was last year, Pierce has struggled shooting-wise(although his overall game has been good) and Ray/House have struggled shooting 3s. It's been 6 games so I expect the starters to begin shaking off the rust soon.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
they seem to have plateaued for me. the starters seem to have gelled into their roles and therefore, as i warmed last year and got criticized for, had their skills digress. when they were the man on their teams, their skills were all at all-star levels, now age and extreme rust has hit them because the pressure of always playing at a high level in order to win has left.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 03:47:40 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Guys seam more on cruise control to me. It's like they know exactly how much do they have to do to win, , but that's just sometimes. The Big Three is scoring 18,17 and 15 for and that isn't so bad. The bench is making up for it, great job 2nd team.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It's just cruise control - I agree. Listen the C's are 7-1 and playing a busy schedule. The idea is to rack up wins in pursuit of the HCA (which will be tough to get with the Lakers this year).

It doesn't really matter that the C's are saving something to get those wins. It's a sign that they are great - that they can cruse for 2 or 3 quarters and still get the Ws.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Them to start hitting shots. :P

They've been getting the good looks, but haven't been knocking them down.

In the case of Rondo he hasn't used his jumper, and in the case of Pierce he's been using it a bit too much.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
in an attempt to keep things simple, i say they do the following:

1- take the ball to the hoop and stop settling for jumpers
2- space the floor
3- more motion

by doing all three of these things, they encourage higher percentage shots, cause the defense to react, and potentially create mismatches on switches which we could exploit and score with.