Author Topic: Do we have too many projects on our roster? (split from POB discussion)  (Read 11024 times)

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
True budceltic, but there are only a certain amount of roster spots and a salary cap.  Right now we have 4 projects- Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, and POB. 

================================

I split this conversation off from the POB miscalculation thread, because we were starting to go off-topic.  -R.H.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:12:11 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Do we have too many projects on our roster? (split from POB discussion)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
True budceltic, but there are only a certain amount of roster spots and a salary cap.  Right now we have 4 projects- Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, and POB. 

all of whom are easily cuttable, or movable in a quite 2-1 trade with a team looking to take projects on and unload a bench guy with a contract they dont want, if nessacary.

Our bench is full, but the spots you listed are quite flexable.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:43:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

But it's not like it's 4 out of 12. There are still 11 "non-projects" on the team. I don't think loading up exclusively on aging vets who are steady but have no upside is a good idea.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But it's not like it's 4 out of 12. There are still 11 "non-projects" on the team. I don't think loading up exclusively on aging vets who are steady but have no upside is a good idea.
Wouldn't that be the definition of bringing back James Posey?

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Wouldn't that be the definition of bringing back James Posey?

Sorry, but could you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you mean.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'd add BBD as a "project", and Scal and Cassell in the "usually not very useful" category.

That means 7 out of our 15 players are either projects, or just not that good at their stage of their career.  Add to that that Tony Allen is wildly inconsistent, and I can see why some folks are concerned.

We have our five starters, and two steady vets (Powe and Eddie, even if Eddie is struggling).  The rest of the roster is a crap shoot.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

I'd add BBD as a "project", and Scal and Cassell in the "usually not very useful" category.

That means 7 out of our 15 players are either projects, or just not that good at their stage of their career.  Add to that that Tony Allen is wildly inconsistent, and I can see why some folks are concerned.

We have our five starters, and two steady vets (Powe and Eddie, even if Eddie is struggling).  The rest of the roster is a crap shoot.

That's definitely what it seems like.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

To be fair, we don't know if Cassell will be useful or not.  I get the feeling that they simply don't want to waste any bullets he has left so early in the season. 

He sucked for us last year, but was pretty good earlier in the year with the Clippers (and from what I understand there was a wrist injury in between, which may not have been completely healed by the time the C's needed him to start playing).

He certainly is not useful right now, but the playoffs are what matters, and it is nowhere near a stretch based on his career track record (not just the two months that C's fans saw him) that he will be a very useful player at that point in time.

I also don't agree that BBD is a project.  He is a rotation player right now, who has earned his minutes with excellent defense, rebounding, and the occasional offense.  Yeah, he may still be able to get better, but he is no more a project than Powe, its just that his contributions don't show up on the stat sheet as easily.

To me, House is a bigger questionmark than BBD, or maybe even Tony (wait...strike that), because he simply cannot play the PG position effectively.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I also don't agree that BBD is a project.  He is a rotation player right now, who has earned his minutes with excellent defense, rebounding, and the occasional offense.  Yeah, he may still be able to get better, but he is no more a project than Powe, its just that his contributions don't show up on the stat sheet as easily.

Eh...  Captain Intangibles II is shooting 25%, and averaging 3.0 points and 2.8 rebounds in 15 minutes per game.  I can't see any justification whatsoever for the statement that "he is no more a project than Powe".  That's simply palpably incorrect.

EDIT:  Also, this isn't a judgment made 4 games into the season.  Last year, Powe was a much, much more consistent player.  BBD had *four* games all of last season when he scored in double figures, and *two* games where he had double digit rebounds (with zero double-doubles).  Leon had 20 double digit games, and five double-doubles.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:24:35 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Eh...  Captain Intangibles II is shooting 25%, and averaging 3.0 points and 2.8 rebounds in 15 minutes per game.  I can't see any justification whatsoever for the statement that "he is no more a project than Powe".  That's simply palpably incorrect.

He also plays significantly better defense than Powe (although Powe does continue to improve on that end). 

I am not arguing that Davis is as good as Powe (who has been exceptional), I am just saying that he is contributing a lot of positive things to this team.  To me, that makes him more than a project. 

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

He also plays significantly better defense than Powe (although Powe does continue to improve on that end). 

I am not arguing that Davis is as good as Powe (who has been exceptional), I am just saying that he is contributing a lot of positive things to this team.  To me, that makes him more than a project. 

If he's not a project, then I think he falls into the "players that just aren't very good" category.  I'd like to think that he'll get better.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
bad quoting...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:42:57 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

If he's not a project, then I think he falls into the "players that just aren't very good" category.  I'd like to think that he'll get better.

Based on what?  You don't think he has helped this team very well so far?

Who cares if he scores 10 points or has 10 rebounds.  He plays very good defense (especially against certain matchups).  He prevents his man from grabbing rebounds, even if he doesn't grab them himself. 

Basically, he is a prototypical role player.  His role is not to score, or even grab a ton of rebounds, it is to play good defense, always be in the right position, and throw his body around, and he does that well.

And yes, I think he will get better too, but so will Powe, Rondo, and Perk. 

I suppose this is all just semantics anyways.  I consider a "project" as someone who is not counted on to contribute to the team immediately.  That does not describe Davis.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

While I agree that Powe is both better and more consistent than Davis I don't think that he's a project. He's a regular in the rotation capable of and expected to contribute to the team on a regular basis.

EDIT:  Also, this isn't a judgment made 4 games into the season.  Last year, Powe was a much, much more consistent player.  BBD had *four* games all of last season when he scored in double figures, and *two* games where he had double digit rebounds (with zero double-doubles).  Leon had 20 double digit games, and five double-doubles.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Again I'm not sure where all the hate for BBD comes from and why there must be constant who is better argument.  Powe is playing out of his mind but, I don't see how you can honestly think that BBD hasn't been contributing as well.  He had a fabulous block and some timely boards last night.  And he plays pretty good defense against much taller players.  He's not producing like Powe on offense but, why does that matter and why is it always Powe vs BBD?

Cue BBD is too fat and out of shape... in 5-4-3-2-1..
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10