Author Topic: Rockets a top 4 team?  (Read 3191 times)

Rockets a top 4 team?
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think so. The Celtics barely squeezed out that win yesterday even tho Mcgrady did flop at the end and the Rockets got lucky but their def an elite team in the NBA. I don't know if Mcgrady's left knee was bothering him and thats why he can't defend but their team is really good if he can become 100% ever again. Luis Scola is also much better this season. Yao also had a off night but Perk really took it to him last nite. When Shane Battier comes back from injury thats when the Rockets will really become scary good. He's the best one on one defender in the league and I also saw him play good defense at Duke as well like 10 years ago. I'm just glad that the Celtics won't have to play this team in an early playoff series. Good luck to NO and LA!

Re: Rockets a top 4 team?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Top 4 team, absolutely. 

As long as McGrady doesn't go all 'clang in the clutch' (tall order for him), they should go to the Finals.

I don't think the Lakers can beat this team.  SA and NO perhaps because of their point guard play, but Artest makes them a very tough playoff out otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Obiviously none of you guys have seen McGrady's tendency to completely fall on his face in the playoffs

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Top 4 team, absolutely. 

As long as McGrady doesn't go all 'clang in the clutch' (tall order for him), they should go to the Finals.

I don't think the Lakers can beat this team.  SA and NO perhaps because of their point guard play, but Artest makes them a very tough playoff out otherwise.

I think so, though it depends on that knee. They need him to be at 100%, donny actually had a good call last night, something along the lines of

"you cannot play tough defense and get absolutly no help from one position. I know he's hurt, but T-mac HAS to contribute defensivly."

I think they'll be fine though, T-Mac's a warrior, and that knee will heal up soon enough.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Obiviously none of you guys have seen McGrady's tendency to completely fall on his face in the playoffs

some of that i feel pierce-esq about though. Yao has generally not been at 100% come playoff time, and one guy trying to carry a team is tough.

While i dislike the man, Arrtest really brings them a toughness that will go far in the playoffs.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I do think they are a top 4 team in the league right now in the regular season. Come playoff time, that's a different matter. I have no faith in Yao and T-Mac being able to lead this team into anything but a first round exit and will believe that until they prove me wrong.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Doesn't it take more then 4 games to call a team a top 4 team? With Ron Artest and his crazy behavior at times? They look good after 4 games is all I will say. 78 more games and beyond...remains to be seen.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
They need more front court size outside of Yao.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If this team doesn't have any serious injury issues (a legitimate concern) and doesn't implode from internal strife, then they are certainly a Top 4 team or should sitting right on the outskirts. 

However, those are two big "if"s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If all goes well, they are certainly going to do some damage in the playoffs.  But I doubt all will go well.  Chances are that either Yao or McGrady will be out or beat up.  And I love the Artest addition, but I seem to remember him going haywire in the playoffs when the intesity level goes up a notch.  If Artest's intensity goes up a notch, he implodes.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I do think they are a top 4 team in the league right now in the regular season. Come playoff time, that's a different matter. I have no faith in Yao and T-Mac being able to lead this team into anything but a first round exit and will believe that until they prove me wrong.

I would have to agree mostly, they should be dominant during the regular season.  I don't think they will completely bomb in the playoffs, but experience of teams like SA, Detroit and........ cleveland (sorry my fingers really didn't want to type that) would put them ahead in my book.

Based purely off of talent level I think they should be the #2 team in the league.