Author Topic: Gary Payton's Take on Rondo  (Read 18537 times)

Gary Payton's Take on Rondo
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
Gary Payton is on NBA channel and just said he did not like Rondo.  It sounded personal.  I know GP always thought he should have had the job in Boston, but I don't remember there being any animosity between them.  Anyone else have any info on this?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:13:46 PM by Donoghus »

Re: Gary Payton
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
They were never on the same team.

Re: Gary Payton's Take on Rondo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Yeah, they were never on the same team. This is Rondo's 3rd year and Payton left the Celtics back in 2004 or 2005, I think? But Payton left a season or 2 before Rondo came to the Celtics.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
Thanks dor the info.  After following Boston for so long the years tend to flow together.  Thanks all.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
He's just bitter that there's a new Glove in style.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:32:04 PM »

Offline heatnum119

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Stan Van Gundy after losing in the semis.
Rondo has a bigger Glove than GP anyways ;)

-heat
"I can out learn you, I can out read you, I can out think you, and I can out philosophise you, and Im gonna out last you!...'I am like God, and God like me. I am large as God, he is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath him be.' Silesius ,17th century" -Max Cady

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Yeah, they were never on the same team. This is Rondo's 3rd year and Payton left the Celtics back in 2004 or 2005, I think? But Payton left a season or 2 before Rondo came to the Celtics.

Yep, Payton was here back when Marcus Banks and Delonte West were battling to be the future starting PG.

I dont really have a problem with anything Payton said.  I dont agree with him though.  I think lots of people just cant get past the fact that Rondos jumper is real inconsistent. If you watch Rondo more than just a couple times a year youd see that he does so many other things GREAT, that you have to give him some kind of recognition as being a potential top tier PG in the NBA.
Greg

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:07:13 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
let's see ....... for all his desperate attempts to latch on to a contender late in his career, Payton never did win a ring ......... maybe some jealousy seeping out there Gary, huh ??
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:16:41 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
let's see ....... for all his desperate attempts to latch on to a contender late in his career, Payton never did win a ring ......... maybe some jealousy seeping out there Gary, huh ??

He won with Miami two years ago.
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 01:20:55 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

I'm pretty sure he won one with Miami

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:18 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

He did win one but I am with you he was just latching on to good teams and finally got one. Rondo made it look easy (although with alot of help as well) Gary is jealous.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:31 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Rondo has a very unique way of playing the game.  I didn't see the actual interview, but I'm sure there are a lot of "pure" point guards who don't like Rajon's game.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
He's just bitter that there's a new Glove in style.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the similarities. TP!

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56:47 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Rondo is kinda schizophrenic out there. Sometimes you think he might be the best thing around - and other times your like OMG bring in Pruitt. His passing of jumpers and his love for really hard runners and layups can be a little annoying.

Not that this is a huge knock on him - but I think Rose is a better prospect. I am not at all certain Rondo will reach all-star level. Last year you thought he was making progress hitting key jumpers. But this year your back to wondering when he will take and hit some..

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Rondo is kinda schizophrenic out there. Sometimes you think he might be the best thing around - and other times your like OMG bring in Pruitt. His passing of jumpers and his love for really hard runners and layups can be a little annoying.

Not that this is a huge knock on him - but I think Rose is a better prospect. I am not at all certain Rondo will reach all-star level. Last year you thought he was making progress hitting key jumpers. But this year your back to wondering when he will take and hit some..

Rose is a number one pick, and a prototypical PG, of corse he's a better prospect....

and he made 2 key jumpers last night, the pull-up in the lane, and the one in the corner.

Rondo is fine. just because he doesn't score 20 a night, people have this obssesion with questioning him.

he went 10/7/7 wit 2 steals last night. Most teams would KILL to get that out of a third year kid who is the 4th option in an offense run through 3 HOF canadites.

I will agree though, that while paul, KG amd ray are around, no way does rajon go to an allstar game, sicne PPG is a huge part of all star voting. once one of GPA leaves and he's asked to take more offensive touches, he will be.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion