Author Topic: Don't jump!! It's only a loss!  (Read 1127 times)

Don't jump!! It's only a loss!
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics play the Rockets later this evening on Election night and I sure hope that the Massachusetts State Troopers are putting regular patrols over the Zakim and Tobin bridges here in Boston just in case of a loss. After the over-reaction that some may have had after the loss the other evening in Indianapolis, I hate to see what might occur if the Celtics go down tonight and start the season 2-2.

But remember people, this only the 4th game of the season and it's unlikely the Celtics will set the same win-loss pace they did a year ago. First off, last year every player going into camp was well rested after a 4 plus month long off-season. This year due to the playoffs, parades, celebrations, partying, interviews, charitable obligations, etc. the Celtics off-season was much shorter, for players like Pierce maybe almost 2-1/2 to 3 months shorter.

Last year expectations, even after the memorable trades, weren't where they are now. Remember, supposedly last year at this time their bench was considered by some to be awful(Bob Ryan will never live that one down), their were questions regarding the coach, the chemistry, the egos, buying into team concepts, familiarization, etc. This year most of those questions are behind them and they are one of two teams that most pundits have winning the title.

Last year, they kind of snuck up on people. Before anyone knew what was happening the Celtics were 29-3. Suddenly they were an important game to opponents. This year from the outset, they are marked men. They will be seeing every team's best play on most nights and in opponent's buildings there where be even more of a challenge.

So if the Celtics lose tonight, and by no means am I predicting a loss, let's not forget that Houston is a heck of a team. They are one of the three best defensive teams in the league, they are healthy, they have added Ron Artest, they are playing their third game at home out of four thus far this season, and they will want to send a statement league-wide that they are for real.

SOOOOOO.....GET AWAY FROM THE EDGE!!!! DON"T JUMP OFF THAT BRIDGE!!! THE CELTICS WILL BE ALRIGHT EVEN IF THEY LOSE TONIGHT!!!

Let's not over-react. This is a good Houston team. A loss in the fourth game of the season means nothing. So if there is a loss, again, I hope there won't be, let's not start with all of the following:

"Trade Ray Allen, he has lost it"
"KG is no longer the dominant force he once was."
"Our bench sucks!"
"What's wrong with Rondo, BBD, Eddie House, Perk and/or Tony Allen!"
"Is it time to replace Doc?"
"The championship has brought out the old egotistical, all about me, Pierce."
"Time to trade __________"(Fill in the blank)
"Who's still available as a free agent?"
"Bring back Darius Miles"

It will all be over-reaction. This team isn't going to go 29-3. They will however, probably have the best record in the East and return to the Finals. They won't have to win every night. Their hunger for another championship is not any less.

They are just going to be playing against their opponent's best every night and they probably won't replicate one of the most amazing NBA seasons for any team ever. That's okay though. Take a deep breath. Everything will be okay.

Re: Don't jump!! It's only a loss!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
The Celtics play the Rockets later this evening on Election night and I sure hope that the Massachusetts State Troopers are putting regular patrols over the Zakim and Tobin bridges here in Boston just in case of a loss.

LOL! Great article TP.

And I agree. I never really worry about the record this early in the season of any sport. I don't start "jumping off of bridges" until at least mid-season, lol.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

Re: Don't jump!! It's only a loss!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
We need Geral Green

Bring Toine Back

Blount will save us
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!