Author Topic: Why The Pistons Are A Better Team For Sure...  (Read 8758 times)

Why The Pistons Are A Better Team For Sure...
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Over all these years what has been the #1 problem for Detroit???

They have had a really good staring 5. But that's not what it's about. It's about having the best 2 or 3 Players on the court,

Jordan Pippen. Shaq Kobe. Duncan Parker Manu. KG Ray Pierce.

To me the Pistons have one guy now that's special. One more than they had before. And a solid team around him. Still won't be good enough. Last year Rip was there best offensive option.

I think Rip is a top 30 to 35 player in the league. AI is STILL top 20. Billups is not top 20 no way.

So after a trade is done you ask who got the best player in the deal. And Detroit did. Period.  Now at the end of games they can play small ball with.

Wallace
Prince
Rip
A.I.
Rodney

Not bad. Not Great, but not bad.

Re: Why The Pistons Are A Better Team For Sure...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:37:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Pistons no longer have the PG defender that can make it hard for the Celtics to get into their offensive sets.

This means better looks for Pierce, KG, Ray and the rest of the supporting staff.

Rondo is quick enough to keep AI from going to the basket at will.  Single cover AI and make him have to be the scorer (which he will be glad to do)  That means the rest of the Pistons become uninvolved at one end of the court.  That will likely effect their defensive effort.

Billups on the Pistons was much more dangerous.  Team offense works better against the Celtics then the one man offense.  Celtics defense can eat up a one man offense.

And the weaker Piston defense means the Celtics will be able to put up more points

This is a win win for the Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:52:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

What about Stuckey as a PG defender? Billups is not a great defender at all. My first point about them having a dynamic offensive threat far outways any small defensive presense that billups brought.

Remember they have to play against the celtics D. There offense looked pathetic against us last year. And there team D is solid. If you can't score you can't win. And they will be able to score much better now with Iverson

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What about Stuckey as a PG defender? Billups is not a great defender at all. My first point about them having a dynamic offensive threat far outways any small defensive presense that billups brought.

Remember they have to play against the celtics D. There offense looked pathetic against us last year. And there team D is solid. If you can't score you can't win. And they will be able to score much better now with Iverson

Billups is a good defender. 

Their team defense is going to be weaker.  Without a PG that can make it hard to get into the offense, teams will have more time to run the offense. 

How pathetic was their offense when they scored over 100 twice against the Celtics in the playoffs, as well as one game at 88?

Three games they were around 80.   

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:40:19 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Would you argue that billups is not a top 20 or  25 player in the NBA.  While Allen Iverson Is In the top 20 to 25???

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Or more simply Is Billups a better player than Iverson?

The answer no pun intended is NO.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Here's John Hollinger's take:

1. Denver got the better player.
Iverson is a legend, and Billups isn't … but who would you rather have going forward?

During the past two seasons, Billups has logged a player efficiency rating of 21.38 and 23.48, compared with 19.61 and 21.06 for Iverson. Throw in that Billups is a much better defensive player, has a superior durability track record and is a year younger, and there's no doubt which player you'd rather have going forward -- especially because Billups' savvy floor game and long-range shooting are likely to age much better than Iverson's speed-based approach.

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

thier is no way in hell that A.I and rip accept Stucky starting at the point.

Stucky will get 20 minutes a night as the third man, but thats all.

If i thought either of the above would play the 6th man role, i would be alot more wary of the pistons.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Or more simply, is billups a better PG than Iverson?

The answer is yes.

They now have two great SG's, and a PG they won't start due to ego. This was a move for the future, not for now. Either Wallace and AI go out at the trading deadline for a massive superstar, or they wait until they free up 30 million of cap space next year and try to get a wade/lebron/other blockbuster FA to pair with stucky, rip, maxiel, and prince.

im much more worried about thier future, since i think they just set themselves up as a awesome landing spot for a superstar. imagine

1. stucky
2. rip
3.prince
4.lebron
5.TBA

or

1. Stucky
2. Rip
3. Wade
4. Maxieel

with  prince off the bench as thier stopper/ 6th man?

both those would be great lures for FA's who doesnt want to join that team? thier instant contenders with a franchise guy, who they have plenty of room to sign now.

your telling me that lebron doesn't go "so wait, i get to play with stucky, rip hamilton, and tayshon prince???? uh...sign me up."

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:00:00 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Thanks Roy. TP for that. I agree with his take. I like this for the nuggets to. Which is why teams make trades, because they both think they are getting a good deal.

Again My main point is Iverson is the Best player in the deal.

The nuggets already have A superstar in Anthony. And getting a little younger and spacing the floor makes sense.

But the pistons need and have always needed a Superstar. Yes it would have been nice to get a younger one. But that's how the NbA works. Nobody wants to trade A star At 25 to 29 so you take them when you can get em. And Detroit Got em.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:00:18 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Don't change my question Crownsy. I ask you Who is the better player Iverson Or Billups.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Don't change my question Crownsy. I ask you Who is the better player Iverson Or Billups.

obviously its iverson as a player.

But is the question who's a better player for the pistons team defense and pass first philosphey?

Then it's billups.

If they had somehow sold Denver on taking rip, and gone

1.billups
2.iverson
3.rip
4.wallace

then i would have liked this trade alot more for them.

The only way im scared of this trade for this year is if they start stucky and convince A.I to come of the bench as the 6th man, because he will destroy second units. it will be Eastern conferance manu.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
As far as how they matchup against the Celtics I think this is a much easier team for us to defend.  Rondo had trouble covering Billups because of his size, he could bring him down on the block and score.  Meanwhile Rondo is one of the few people who has the speed and quickness that Iverson has and he has a chance to stay with him.  He actually is a bit bigger than Iverson which will also help.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Actually I would argue rip is better player that Billups.

Look you can find a point guard through a trade or whatever but the idea is to get top flight talent on your team. A lot of peoplw thought Rondo And Perk were not good enough. And are bench was crap.  

But we won Because we brought in talent. And that is the bottom Line. Talent above all else is the most important thing. And the hardest thing to do in the NBA. You have to get those special guys and figure out the rest later.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Actually I would argue rip is better player that Billups.

Look you can find a point guard through a trade or whatever but the idea is to get top flight talent on your team. A lot of peoplw thought Rondo And Perk were not good enough. And are bench was crap.  

But we won Because we brought in talent. And that is the bottom Line. Talent above all else is the most important thing. And the hardest thing to do in the NBA. You have to get those special guys and figure out the rest later.

Rip needs a PG like Billups.  His offense is based on getting the ball at the right time. 

He now has a PG that likes to hold onto the ball and pass only at the end if he can not find a shot. 

Rips offense and shooting % are likely to drop. 

The best player in the starting Piston lineup to run the offense is now Wallace. 

If AI is this great talent, why hasn't he won with the talent of Melo and Camby? 

answer:  It takes talent that fits together.