Author Topic: Trade idea with OK (Smith)  (Read 7930 times)

Re: Trade idea with OK (Smith)
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 02:56:59 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Boston trades TA, Scali, Davis and POB

for

Joe Smith and Damien Wilkins

Celtics then left with two roster slots to fill in needs later on.  (PJ, Bonzi, McDyess if he is available)

Can you do it without giving up either POB or TA and still get Joe Smith? I ask because I'm not sure PJ will come back or that McDyess will get bough out and sign here. But you know I'm all for Bonzi. So could you do Scal + POB straight up for Smith?

Why would OK do it?

Scal's contract + a Big who may be a long term option for them. Those two things help them long term, where as I'm not sure how Smith helps them. They lose nothing in locker room leadership from Smith to Scal. Just spitballin' here

Why would Scal's contract be a good thing? Joe Smith has a shorter contract. Wilkins has almost the same contract, but can actually contribute.

Why do some people think that all overpaid players are assets due to their contracts? OKC can use Marshall's contract in a trade for teams that want expiring deals in a trade. OKC is also well below the cap for next year.

Well A0 It's less money then Smith's and B) they don't lose an expiring contract when they add the big from this trade.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

for

Celtics then left with two roster slots to fill in needs later on.  (PJ, Bonzi, McDyess if he is available)

Can you do it without giving up either POB or TA and still get Joe Smith? I ask because I'm not sure PJ will come back or that McDyess will get bough out and sign here. But you know I'm all for Bonzi. So could you do Scal + POB straight up for Smith?

Why would OK do it?

Scal's contract + a Big who may be a long term option for them. Those two things help them long term, where as I'm not sure how Smith helps them. They lose nothing in locker room leadership from Smith to Scal. Just spitballin' here

Why would Scal's contract be a good thing? Joe Smith has a shorter contract. Wilkins has almost the same contract, but can actually contribute.

Why do some people think that all overpaid players are assets due to their contracts? OKC can use Marshall's contract in a trade for teams that want expiring deals in a trade. OKC is also well below the cap for next year.

Well A0 It's less money then Smith's and B) they don't lose an expiring contract when they add the big from this trade.

Wilkins hasn't played this season.  He is outside their rotation at the moment. 

TA and Davis can be two young pieces to go around Durrant.  That's the only thing I was looking at.  Scali and POB were salary filler.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 09:49:07 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
If you were a young Westbrook or Durant who would you rather have as a mentor?  Scals or Joe Smith?

I'm pretty sure Joe gets a bit more respect than Scalabrine.  So the notion that he would be a similar locker room guy is a bit off IMO.

This does nothing for the Thunder. 

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

for

Why would OK do it?

Wilkins hasn't played this season.  He is outside their rotation at the moment. 

TA and Davis can be two young pieces to go around Durrant.  That's the only thing I was looking at.  Scali and POB were salary filler.

If Wilkins is outside there rotation, why would they want TA?

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like Smith, but I'd rather have Tony Allen than Wilkens.  And I'd prefer to give POB some more time before we give up on him.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Trade

- Glen Davis (To replace smiths spot, iam not sure if the celts will sign him to an extension with leon powe to worry about more)

- Patrick Obryant

- Cash

For

- Joe Smith

We won't need pj brown then. Smith has enough length, works hard, has a sweet jumper. He is playing like 9 mins a game in okc right now which does nothing for them

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Trade

- Glen Davis (To replace smiths spot, iam not sure if the celts will sign him to an extension with leon powe to worry about more)

- Patrick Obryant

- Cash

For

- Joe Smith

We won't need pj brown then. Smith has enough length, works hard, has a sweet jumper. He is playing like 9 mins a game in okc right now which does nothing for them

This trade would not be good for the Celtics unless they also pick up PJ Brown of Mutombo, because then we would not have any backup center, as BBD is the only one besides Perk who can actally guard centers effectively.  Powe can guard PFs but BBD is a better defender of centers.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
my #1 choice honestly is to get smith because we would need to cut someone with our current lineup otherwise, with my prosal smith would fit in plus we can get walker up from nbdl.

Otherwise i would try hard to waive or trade pruitt for a 2nd round pick(prob a low 2nd round pick) and then try to sign pj brown and worst case mutombo(not sure about his mobility at this stage of his career)

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 02:13:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Trade

- Patrick Obryant

- Cash

For

- Joe Smith

It depends on who you trust with regard to contracts, but it seems like it has become the accepted theory that O'Bryant signed for the minimum, which would mean that salaries wouldn't match.  Scal would have to be thrown in.

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
OKC have no hopes of coming close to a winning season for at least 3-4 years. OKC was one of the few teams actually pursuing Tony Allen. Joe Smith has asked to get off of the rebuilding team, and Wilkins had issues with the previous coach(before he was fired). Scal brings in a vet for the young kids to teach the ones with no skill to get use to playing garbage time but appreciating it with a smile. And YES, Joe Smith has game left as he was one of the more efficient shooters for the Cavs in the playoffs with his 10-12 foot jumper. Wilkens is a great defender, and in the past 2 years has started to become a better scorer with range before Jeff Greene/Durant took all the minutes. We get rid of Baby and Pato, so we have 2 spots as well to add Mutumbo and Antoine if needed...or Marbury if 1 or the other can't be signed.
Can't stop, Rondo!