Author Topic: Trade idea with OK (Smith)  (Read 7927 times)

Trade idea with OK (Smith)
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Boston trades TA, Scali, Davis and POB

for

Joe Smith and Damien Wilkins

Celtics then left with two roster slots to fill in needs later on.  (PJ, Bonzi, McDyess if he is available)

Re: Trade idea with OK (Smith)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Plus, the Celtics would probably add cash to let OK buy out two players.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

for

Celtics then left with two roster slots to fill in needs later on.  (PJ, Bonzi, McDyess if he is available)

Can you do it without giving up either POB or TA and still get Joe Smith? I ask because I'm not sure PJ will come back or that McDyess will get bough out and sign here. But you know I'm all for Bonzi. So could you do Scal + POB straight up for Smith?

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

for

Can you do it without giving up either POB or TA and still get Joe Smith? I ask because I'm not sure PJ will come back or that McDyess will get bough out and sign here. But you know I'm all for Bonzi. So could you do Scal + POB straight up for Smith?

Why would OK do it?

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

for

Why would OK do it?

Scal's contract + a Big who may be a long term option for them. Those two things help them long term, where as I'm not sure how Smith helps them. They lose nothing in locker room leadership from Smith to Scal. Just spitballin' here

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

for

Why would OK do it?

Scal's contract + a Big who may be a long term option for them. Those two things help them long term, where as I'm not sure how Smith helps them. They lose nothing in locker room leadership from Smith to Scal. Just spitballin' here

Smith has value.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

for

WL, you seem pumped to get rid of TA. Can Smith be traded before 12/15? I think maybe no...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

for

WL, you seem pumped to get rid of TA. Can Smith be traded before 12/15? I think maybe no...

Neither can TA and POB. 

I just think this makes the Celtics better.

Joe Smith and Powe make a better 2nd front court.  Smith has a history with KG. 

Wilkins has a history with Ray. 

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

for

Why would OK do it?

Smith has value.

I'm not too wild on the TA/ Wilkins part of the swap, basically because I haven't seen Wilkins enough to know how good a defender he is. I'm not sure how much value Smith has left, and I'm fairly sure it isn't much more than an advantageously expiring deal and a big prospect.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The Thunder gave Tony Allen a long look in the summer. If they weren't willing to sign him then, why now? What's changed?

I doubt they have any interest in O'Bryant. Scal is a drag on the ticket, but clearly he's needed to match salaries. I doubt they like Davis that much either.

Tony in the player they'd primarily be making this trade for. The rest are largely irrelevant ... or do you think OKC would value them?

They can't get a better deal elsewhere? An expiring contract and a draft pick perhaps. Quite a few contenders could be desperate for a guy like Joe Smith in February.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

for

Neither can TA and POB. 

While I would welcome Joe Smith to this lineup, I would worry that we would be leaving a gaping hole at 2/3 by getting rid of TA and Scal.  Asking JR and Billy to cover 20 mpg behind Ray and Paul for a Title Run is a lot to ask of a couple of rookies.  House can't guard many 2's in this league either.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

for

Neither can TA and POB. 

While I would welcome Joe Smith to this lineup, I would worry that we would be leaving a gaping hole at 2/3 by getting rid of TA and Scal.  Asking JR and Billy to cover 20 mpg behind Ray and Paul for a Title Run is a lot to ask of a couple of rookies.  House can't guard many 2's in this league either.

Wilkins take TA's spot.  The rookies get a chance to play

If they fail, the Celtics have two roster spots.  One can be used to sign another swing (like Bonzi) or even resign a Scali (if he was waived)

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'd like the addition of Joe Smith but I just don't see where what the Celtics have to offer is enticing enough for OKC to do the deal. I also like the subtraction of Tony Allen as it would basically shift Eddie House to the 2 spot and Pruitt into the back up PG.

But, I don't see it happening. Any additions this year will be of the Sam Cassell type buyouts like last year. I don't see a trade going down this year.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Thunder gave Tony Allen a long look in the summer. If they weren't willing to sign him then, why now? What's changed?

I doubt they have any interest in O'Bryant.
Scal is a drag on the ticket, but clearly he's needed to match salaries. I doubt they like Davis that much either.

Tony in the player they'd primarily be making this trade for. The rest are largely irrelevant ... or do you think OKC would value them?

They can't get a better deal elsewhere? An expiring contract and a draft pick perhaps. Quite a few contenders could be desperate for a guy like Joe Smith in February.

What he said.

Why would OKC do this?

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

for

Why would OK do it?

Why would Scal's contract be a good thing? Joe Smith has a shorter contract. Wilkins has almost the same contract, but can actually contribute.

Why do some people think that all overpaid players are assets due to their contracts? OKC can use Marshall's contract in a trade for teams that want expiring deals in a trade. OKC is also well below the cap for next year.