Author Topic: Who is Available and do you think the Celtics could trade for?  (Read 8072 times)

Who is Available and do you think the Celtics could trade for?
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Just wondering after this blockbuster deal I would really like the celtics to make a deal for a good backup SF or a strong 6th man. I dont see Tony doing it the rest of the year and I sure don't see Eddie being the strongest backup PG. Perhaps the starbury issue gets brought up again because it looks like he is getting released. So should be interesting but would you like the Celts to make a deal stand still or make a deal, and if you could would you send out some guys that are available like FAs or people that could be getting traded. Thanks Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:26:52 PM by Redz »

Re: Who is Available and do you think the Celtics could trade for?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:28:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Just wondering after this blockbuster deal I would really like the celtics to make a deal for a good backup SF or a strong 6th man. I dont see Tony doing it the rest of the year and I sure don't see Eddie being the strongest backup PG. Perhaps the starbury issue gets brought up again because it looks like he is getting released. So should be interesting but would you like the Celts to make a deal stand still or make a deal, and if you could would you send out some guys that are available like FAs or people that could be getting traded. Thanks Let me know what you think!

any trade we do Blockbuster wise is out, as it would involve ray allen, which i think is foolish.

For mid level deals, i would like to see a combo of scal and baby/pruitt/giddeons/walker go out the door for a Defensive minded SF off the bench.

If we could somehow convince the rockets that thier to deep for battier (which we wont) that would be my dream trade.

starbury has killed 2 teams now, one of which him and Kg were on. no need to let him kill a third.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:17:53 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
no no no no.
dont even mention marbury's name on this team. i dont even want to imagine how quickly he could ruin it.
no, would not trade for him, or take him for free

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I'd take Chris Duhon.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A Tony Allen that is playing good basketball would be this team's best trade bait and if he is playing good ball why trade him? Besides I don't think Walker, Giddens, House, O'Bryant or Tony Allen could be traded until December 15, I think. So you would be back to the same old "What can we get for BBD, Scal and Pruitt" trades and we all know the answer to that is, not a whole heck of a lot.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Well it seems that Pistons fans have gotten the notion that McDyess will be cut by the Nuggets, and could possibly make a return to Detroit. If that situation were to happen Maybe we could steal him with what's left of our MLE (assuming we signed Tony with his bird rights) while he's still out there.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Well it seems that Pistons fans have gotten the notion that McDyess will be cut by the Nuggets, and could possibly make a return to Detroit. If that situation were to happen Maybe we could steal him with what's left of our MLE (assuming we signed Tony with his bird rights) while he's still out there.

Didn't we renounce any rights we had for TA? We decided not to tender a qualifying offer to him. I assume we used the MLE to sign him and Eddie House, and perhaps Walker.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:37:47 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
How about Matt Barnes?  Oh yea... he starts for the suns now.

Im still frustrated we missed out on him. 

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i would'nt sweat not getting barnes. i felt the same way until i watched him a couple times this season. everyone looked a lot better on the golden state team (offensively anyways).

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
One guy who I actually think would fit in well here would be Luke Walton. Isn't making a ton of money, and the Lakers have no real use for him. I just don't see the Lakers trading him to us. The thought of him hitting a big three against them in the Finals would probably be enough to squash any thought of such a trade.

That being said, I think that we are OK at every position save the 3. Not great, but OK. It really is unfortunate that the Hornets stupidly gave James a fourth year. He just isn't worth that much, and they really didn't need him. His big value to us was that he could play the 4 in a small lineup with K.G. at the 5. For the Hornets doing the same would mean either sitting West or Chandler. Not exactly a good thing for that squad as K.G. serves the dual role of being our defensive lynch pin and best offensive big, while Chandler and West divvy that up. Posey is at his best against 3's and 4', and he is getting smoked when slotted at the 2. Playing him at the three means sitting Peja, so the hornets lose out whichever way that they go.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08NOH5.HTM#bypos

It really is too bad that they got all hyped up about the fact that he has rings with two different teams, and lost focus on his actual role with those teams. He simply fit much better with us. Now they are paying him for how he fit in here, instead of how he would fit in there.

That being said, we need someone to replace him. Preferrably someone who could perform in a similar role - big 3, small 4 with range. We need another shooter out there off of the bench in that slot. The only shooter we have right now is Eddie. That isn't enough.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
One guy who I actually think would fit in well here would be Luke Walton. Isn't making a ton of money, and the Lakers have no real use for him. I just don't see the Lakers trading him to us. The thought of him hitting a big three against them in the Finals would probably be enough to squash any thought of such a trade.

That being said, I think that we are OK at every position save the 3. Not great, but OK. It really is unfortunate that the Hornets stupidly gave James a fourth year. He just isn't worth that much, and they really didn't need him. His big value to us was that he could play the 4 in a small lineup with K.G. at the 5. For the Hornets doing the same would mean either sitting West or Chandler. Not exactly a good thing for that squad as K.G. serves the dual role of being our defensive lynch pin and best offensive big, while Chandler and West divvy that up. Posey is at his best against 3's and 4', and he is getting smoked when slotted at the 2. Playing him at the three means sitting Peja, so the hornets lose out whichever way that they go.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08NOH5.HTM#bypos

It really is too bad that they got all hyped up about the fact that he has rings with two different teams, and lost focus on his actual role with those teams. He simply fit much better with us. Now they are paying him for how he fit in here, instead of how he would fit in there.

That being said, we need someone to replace him. Preferrably someone who could perform in a similar role - big 3, small 4 with range. We need another shooter out there off of the bench in that slot. The only shooter we have right now is Eddie. That isn't enough.

That would be horrible. He makes like 6 mil for next 5 years. not to mention he can't play. I thought he was okay until i really watched him in the finals last year and to be honest, I'm not sure why he is even in the league. Lakers have no use for him because he can't play..

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

No chance in hell... That reminds me of my favorite part in the Celtics DVD, when Doc says to the team coming out of a timeout in the Finals "Get the ball to Leon, he's got Walton guarding him."

No thanks.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Didn't we renounce any rights we had for TA? We decided not to tender a qualifying offer to him. I assume we used the MLE to sign him and Eddie House, and perhaps Walker.

I'm pretty sure that not offering a qualifying offer to TA has nothing to do with wether we have Bird Rights for TA or not.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm pretty sure that not offering a qualifying offer to TA has nothing to do with wether we have Bird Rights for TA or not.

That's correct.  There's a difference between renouncing a player and not extending them a qualifying offer.

If you renounce a free agent, you can only resign them two ways:  1) using the minimum salary exception, or 2) using room under the salary cap.  Renouncing a player removes any cap holds that players former salary may have on your cap.

Declining to offer a player a qualifying offer makes that player an unrestricted free agent, meaning that the Celtics gave up their right to match any contract Tony received.  They did not give up their Bird rights to him, however. 

The team signed Tony using Bird rights, and signed House and I believe Walker with the MLE.  There are conflicting reports on whether we gave POB more than a minimum deal, but if we did, it was by using the bi-annual exception, rather than the MLE.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
how about Scal and BBD or Pruitt for Stackhouse or Desmond Mason?