Author Topic: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down  (Read 40134 times)

Re: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I love this trade for Denver.

Billups suddenly gives them a very balanced team. No more Anthony Carter in the starting lineup, and finally JR Smith can earn the minutes that he deserves. JR Smith's extension is now going to look the steal that it was, and I expect him up around 20ppg.

A trio of Billups, JR Smith, Carmelo Anthony is one of the best starting perimeter groups in the league.

I hated the effect Iverson had on Carmelo Anthony's game. Prior to Iverson's arrival, Melo was dropping 31ppg on 50% shooting while doing a very good job both moving without the basketball and sharing the rock. He was scarily efficient. I hope he can get back to that high quality basketball with Iverson's ball dominating ways gone. Melo has a good shot at the scoring title now.

McDyess gives them some much needed depth up front. Nene, Kenyon, McDyess, Andersen. That's a solid group of bigs. Obviously lacks top tier talent, but they're capable enough.

Kleiza should see a larger role now too. No reason why he can't earn 27-30 minutes of action on a nightly basis. He's now their best perimeter player off the bench. Then after him they have Carter, Jones, Balkman ... scrappy role players.

Nuggets are a playoff caliber squad out in the West.

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think it's important to note that Iverson can play defense when the mood strikes him. He did for Larry Brown in Phily. Put him in a tough Detroit squad full of capable defensive players and he could raise his D in a big way. Iverson has been dogging it for the last few years on the defensive end, but he is a capable defensive player.

He played the passing lanes.  Philly had defensive players at every other position and a big shot blocker (ratlif then Mutumbo) to cover for AI.  

It worked in the weak east then.  It hasn't worked since.  Certainly not going to work against Boston who has guys that will hurt them if they have to scramble to cover for AI playing the passing lanes.

Which is what they have in Detroit.

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I`ve heard that the Nuggets want to waive McDyess.

Maybe we can snag him up, like Phoenix tried with Barry last season? ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

That would be awesome.

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

That would be awesome.

Bring him on...PJ, Shmee-Jay
Yup

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

That would be awesome.

Schmee-jay is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

that would rule.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That would be awesome.

True.  Sadly, though, if Denver waives him, the trend is for him to end up back in Detroit.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it's important to note that Iverson can play defense when the mood strikes him. He did for Larry Brown in Phily. Put him in a tough Detroit squad full of capable defensive players and he could raise his D in a big way. Iverson has been dogging it for the last few years on the defensive end, but he is a capable defensive player.

He played the passing lanes.  Philly had defensive players at every other position and a big shot blocker (ratlif then Mutumbo) to cover for AI.  

It worked in the weak east then.  It hasn't worked since.  Certainly not going to work against Boston who has guys that will hurt them if they have to scramble to cover for AI playing the passing lanes.

Minus the weak East. 

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I love this trade for Denver.

Billups suddenly gives them a very balanced team. No more Anthony Carter in the starting lineup, and finally JR Smith can earn the minutes that he deserves. JR Smith's extension is now going to look the steal that it was, and I expect him up around 20ppg.

A trio of Billups, JR Smith, Carmelo Anthony is one of the best starting perimeter groups in the league.

I hated the effect Iverson had on Carmelo Anthony's game. Prior to Iverson's arrival, Melo was dropping 31ppg on 50% shooting while doing a very good job both moving without the basketball and sharing the rock. He was scarily efficient. I hope he can get back to that high quality basketball with Iverson's ball dominating ways gone. Melo has a good shot at the scoring title now.

McDyess gives them some much needed depth up front. Nene, Kenyon, McDyess, Andersen. That's a solid group of bigs. Obviously lacks top tier talent, but they're capable enough.

Kleiza should see a larger role now too. No reason why he can't earn 27-30 minutes of action on a nightly basis. He's now their best perimeter player off the bench. Then after him they have Carter, Jones, Balkman ... scrappy role players.

Nuggets are a playoff caliber squad out in the West.

I agree with everything - I think JR Smith and Stuckey are key pieces in this deal -, except that McDyess will be waived (that's what I read), probably to go back to Detroit. On the other had, they also got Samb, who's a good fit for their frontcourt.

----

Until last season, Pierce was a turnover machine, Ray couldn't guard anyone and KG was unable to score in the 4th quarter. I wouldn't underestimate the effect that playing in Detroit, and probably having his last chance of winning a title as a go-to guy, can have in Iverson.

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Minus the weak East. 

But plus a better overall defensive team with Detroit, full of players who have won a championship on the merits of their defense.

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

That would be awesome.

True.  Sadly, though, if Denver waives him, the trend is for him to end up back in Detroit.

I could be wrong, but didn't the NBA take steps to deter something like that from happening?  Or is it still just a # of days before the player can sign back with his original team?

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

I think Powe is a better player at this point.  McDyess can't really play the 5 can he?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
As expressed by a few other posters, I love this trade for Boston.  I think, at best, Detroit took a step sideways.  Most likely, its going to be a step back.  Billups seemed to give Rondo fits and now he's shipped out west.  I don't see Iverson being able to stick with Rondo.  Detroit gets worst defensively and I have to think that offense is going to get retooled a bit.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That would be awesome.

I could be wrong, but didn't the NBA take steps to deter something like that from happening?  Or is it still just a # of days before the player can sign back with his original team?

There's a time limitation.  I believe it's 20 days, but it may be 30 (no time to double check.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions