Author Topic: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down  (Read 40275 times)

Re: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I like this move for Denver. They haven't had a true PG for in a long time. Detroit is scary with AI.

i dont know, see above. are they really that scary with a guy who doesn't really move the ball in offenseive sets? (and i love AI, but PG has never been a strength of his)

remeber, rip needs a pass first PG like billups or stucky to be truley effective. he struggles to set up hs own shot, he's much, much better at moving off the ball and catching the pass from his PG.

the only way this would really make me go "oh bleep" is if AI says "ya, stucky is a better true PG than me for this team, and rip needs a true PG to set up his offense, so i'm cool being the 6th man"

that is scary, because AI would tourch second units. He'd be liek the eastern conferance manu. that would scare me.

The AI/rip paring for 30+ a night, not so much.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that by the end of the regular season, Stuckey will be playing starter minutes at the PG.

I think Dumars did well, Billups is not the guy who was able to hold Jason Kidd scoreless anymore and he still has four years in his contract.

is that goign to sit well with two guys who have massive Ego's?

thats my question, the smart move is to start stuckey. Neither Rip or A.I is going to want to be the bench player. That could lead to the dreaded "locker room unrest"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I love this move for Boston.

Detroit trades a guy that can make big shot (game winners) in the playoffs for a selfish guy that does not hit game winners.  

They took a team oriented approach and added A. I(only care about my own stats).  to the team.  

They traded a good PG defender and added a bad defender who plays the passing lanes and not the man.  

I love this trade for Boston.

I tentitivly agree because i dont think either rip or AI will be cool coming off the bench, so stucky will get buried behind two SG's playing 30+ a night.

I reserve m right to change my mind if they do the smart thing and Turn AI into "eastern conferance manu" and bring him off the bench, and go

PG-stucky
SG-Rip
SF-Prince
PF-wallace
C-maxiel

6th man- AI

that to me is ten times scarier than the AI/Rip version of that lineup.

but, i doubt A.I or Rip would be cool with essentialy saying "stucky's better than me"

There is no way AI comes of the bench.. I just don't see it.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I like this move for Denver. They haven't had a true PG for in a long time. Detroit is scary with AI.

i dont know, see above. are they really that scary with a guy who doesn't really move the ball in offenseive sets? (and i love AI, but PG has never been a strength of his)

remeber, rip needs a pass first PG like billups or stucky to be truley effective. he struggles to set up hs own shot, he's much, much better at moving off the ball and catching the pass from his PG.

the only way this would really make me go "oh bleep" is if AI says "ya, stucky is a better true PG than me for this team, and rip needs a true PG to set up his offense, so i'm cool being the 6th man"

that is scary, because AI would tourch second units. He'd be liek the eastern conferance manu. that would scare me.

The AI/rip paring for 30+ a night, not so much.

Detroit could make additional moves to make it work even better. I'm just wondering how this effects celts in the playoff, would you rahter play against billups who rondo did a great job of staying infront of? or AI who I think will make rondo struggle guarding..?

AI because rondo will destroy him on offense (he's a terrable on the ball defender, billups is a very good defender.) and I don't think rondo will have a tough time keeping him in front (if AI was thrown in a time machine he would, but 33 year old AI has lost a step.)

and they'll lose the effectivness of the billups-rip combo, which killed us in both losses last year.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
This, if it goes down, is great for us. Rondo will have yet another guard his own size to match up with.  Somebody who is a coach killer, me first, and plays no defense.

If Dumars is that high on Stuckey, why would he match him up with the poster boy for coach and team killers?  Dumars, for the most part, has been brilliant.  If he does this, he's essentially cancelled all of that out.

Great trade for George Karl if it happens.  Now he's down to three selfish me-first "stars" and has a money man to go through when he needs a big shot.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Detroit trades a guy that can make big shot (game winners) in the playoffs for a selfish guy that does not hit game winners.  

They took a team oriented approach and added A. I(only care about my own stats).  to the team.  

They traded a good PG defender and added a bad defender who plays the passing lanes and not the man.  

I tentitivly agree because i dont think either rip or AI will be cool coming off the bench, so stucky will get buried behind two SG's playing 30+ a night.

I reserve m right to change my mind if they do the smart thing and Turn AI into "eastern conferance manu" and bring him off the bench, and go

PG-stucky
SG-Rip
SF-Prince
PF-wallace
C-maxiel

6th man- AI

but, i doubt A.I or Rip would be cool with essentialy saying "stucky's better than me"

No way AI is happy playing off the bench.

And no need to trade Billups if they wanted Stucky starting instead of Rip.

No this would be the shake up Dumars wanted to do since the end of last season.  Hoping that AI and Rip could be the new version of himself and Thomas.  

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

PG-stucky
SG-Rip
SF-Prince
PF-wallace
C-maxiel

6th man- AI

There is no way AI comes of the bench.. I just don't see it.

then im not real worried about it. rip and AI won't work well together.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Here is a link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931

I will add it to the first post as well.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
This doesn't make Detroit any better, and probably weaker in the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
McDyess for a 3rd trip to Denver is an interesting subplot.  I thought McDyess was one of the few bright spots for the Pistons in the ECF last year.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I imagine Detroit will let Iverson leave at the seasons end - unless he spectacularly leads them to a title - and will use that free agency money to go after someone like Carlos Boozer. Then move Stuckey into the starting lineup as the full time point guard.

Until then I expect Stuckey to continue as 6th man.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I imagine Detroit will let Iverson leave at the seasons end - unless he spectacularly leads them to a title - and will use that free agency money to go after someone like Carlos Boozer. Then move Stuckey into the starting lineup as the full time point guard.

Until then I expect Stuckey to continue as 6th man.

yea, thats probley the end of the day motivation behind this, it is going to give them a ton of cap flex when AI and wallace come off this year.

i wonder what AI's crayz stupid intro will be. we loss "cha-cha-chaaa-CHAU--NNNCYYY bil-bi-illl-bill-UPS!!!!"

AI now needs to hammer that out with grand master funk asap.

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
are u guys kidding me. who ever said they love this move for boston is craaazy.

AI in the pistons is very scary. the guy can penetrate at will. id rather see billups jacking up threes than AI on that team.
and by the way, this kid stuckey is good

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
are u guys kidding me. who ever said they love this move for boston is craaazy.

AI in the pistons is very scary. the guy can penetrate at will. id rather see billups jacking up threes than AI on that team.
and by the way, this kid stuckey is good

uh yea, thats what we said, we'd be scared of this move if stucky started with rip/A. i because he's good. but that won't happen, since A.I and rip have huge ego's, so thats a moot point.

AI doesn't pass. rip doesnt create his own offense. they wont work well together. AI also doesn't play defense, which will probley hurt them a bit don't you think?

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 12:39:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think it's important to note that Iverson can play defense when the mood strikes him. He did for Larry Brown in Phily. Put him in a tough Detroit squad full of capable defensive players and he could raise his D in a big way. Iverson has been dogging it for the last few years on the defensive end, but he is a capable defensive player.

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I think it's important to note that Iverson can play defense when the mood strikes him. He did for Larry Brown in Phily. Put him in a tough Detroit squad full of capable defensive players and he could raise his D in a big way. Iverson has been dogging it for the last few years on the defensive end, but he is a capable defensive player.

no, he played the passing lanes. Ive followed him his entire career, and he's never played good man defense, which is what the piston's scheme requires. He can be a dangerous guy helping on a double, or tipping passes, but he's always struggled to keep quick PG's in front of him.

also, what makes you think eh's dogging it on the defensive end and not just losing a step? the man is 33 and has taken a LIFETIME of abuses already to his body.