Author Topic: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down  (Read 40268 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Just saw it on ESPN. I just caught the end of it ,but I belive the deal is Billups for Iverson.

edit - link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:03:15 PM by Wide Load »

Re: Breaking News: Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups deal to go down
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i don't see it yet on ESPN.com.

Assuming it's true, intersting trade for detorit. I assume this means they give the starting PG role to AI, something i don't think plays to his strengths (he's more of a 2, he's an underated passer, but he needs the ball to develop his offense, hes alot better as a 2 where he can focus on scoring IMO)

ina  perfect world, i think they'd go stucky at the point and AI at the 2, that would be a frighting combo with Rip off the bench. But i don't see that going over well with Rip.

Intersting if true, wonder what else denver is getting, i doubt they take a agining chuancey stright up, they must have gotten a pick/ prospect not named stucky.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Iverson to Pistons
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
ESPN is reporting that Iverson is being traded to the Pistons for Chauncey Billups and McDyess.

My initial reaction is that this does not make Detroit a better team.  They traded a valuable, consistent, PG for a scoring SG trapped in a PG's body.  They also didn't make themselves younger unless you consider trading two old guys for only one old guy.  Interesting news.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think it's Billups and McDyess for Iverson.

Dumars must be really high on Stuckey. Besides, it saves them a lot of money, they are going to have lots of cap space next season.

Re: Iverson to Pistons
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
ESPN is reporting that Iverson is being traded to the Pistons for Chauncey Billups and McDyess.

My initial reaction is that this does not make Detroit a better team.  They traded a valuable, consistent, PG for a scoring SG trapped in a PG's body.  They also didn't make themselves younger unless you consider trading two old guys for only one old guy.  Interesting news.

i agree, copy and posted because im lazy:

Assuming it's true, intersting trade for detorit. I assume this means they give the starting PG role to AI, something i don't think plays to his strengths (he's more of a 2, he's an underated passer, but he needs the ball to develop his offense, hes alot better as a 2 where he can focus on scoring IMO)

ina  perfect world, i think they'd go stucky at the point and AI at the 2, that would be a frighting combo with Rip off the bench. But i don't see that going over well with Rip.

I dont get this trade unless it sends rip to the bench as thier sixth man. which would be scary, but im not sure it happens.

iverson/rip doesnt scare me, since AI isn't a great PG.

Stucky/iverson does, as stucky is a really good PG and a matchup problem.

In short, if they can convince Ai or rip to come off the bench, scary. if they keep stucky on the bench and his minutes down, not so much.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I think it's Billups and McDyess for Iverson.

Dumars must be really high on Stuckey. Besides, it saves them a lot of money, they are going to have lots of cap space next season.

right, but here's the thing.

Stucky/ (Ai or rip) and the other as a 6th man= scary

AI/ rip with stucky only getting 20 a night off the bench, not so much.

You think one of them (AI or rip) will be convinced to be the first gaurd off the bench? that would scare me.

the scariest would be if its AI. stucky and rip already work well together, and if thier second team has AI as the 6th man, thats frightining, as no second unit in the league is going to be able to keep him out of the paint.

but if stucky's on the bench, i think this trade makes them worse. we'll see how this goes, i think it all comes down to how they manage the lineup/ if A.I or rip will go "yea, i can be your 6th man. no problem"

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I like this move for Denver. They haven't had a true PG for in a long time. Detroit is scary with AI.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I agree that how they handle the lineup will have an impact on the actual impact of this trade.  Hamilton coming off the bench would make them very tough to beat.  Stuckey could cover up AI defensively, who is great at anticipating and making steals but often times ends up getting burned going for it.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Weird one. 

X's and O's aside, I think Iverson will be a better fit for the city of Detroit than Denver.  More of a Philly kind of crowd.

Were there any whispers of this one?
Yup

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I like this move for Denver. They haven't had a true PG for in a long time. Detroit is scary with AI.

i dont know, see above. are they really that scary with a guy who doesn't really move the ball in offenseive sets? (and i love AI, but PG has never been a strength of his)

remeber, rip needs a pass first PG like billups or stucky to be truley effective. he struggles to set up hs own shot, he's much, much better at moving off the ball and catching the pass from his PG.

the only way this would really make me go "oh bleep" is if AI says "ya, stucky is a better true PG than me for this team, and rip needs a true PG to set up his offense, so i'm cool being the 6th man"

that is scary, because AI would tourch second units. He'd be liek the eastern conferance manu. that would scare me.

The AI/rip paring for 30+ a night, not so much.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I love this move for Boston.

Detroit trades a guy that can make big shot (game winners) in the playoffs for a selfish guy that does not hit game winners.  

They took a team oriented approach and added A. I(only care about my own stats).  to the team.  

They traded a good PG defender and added a bad defender who plays the passing lanes and not the man.  

I love this trade for Boston.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I love this move for Boston.

Detroit trades a guy that can make big shot (game winners) in the playoffs for a selfish guy that does not hit game winners.  

They took a team oriented approach and added A. I(only care about my own stats).  to the team.  

They traded a good PG defender and added a bad defender who plays the passing lanes and not the man.  

I love this trade for Boston.

I tentitivly agree because i dont think either rip or AI will be cool coming off the bench, so stucky will get buried behind two SG's playing 30+ a night.

I reserve m right to change my mind if they do the smart thing and Turn AI into "eastern conferance manu" and bring him off the bench, and go

PG-stucky
SG-Rip
SF-Prince
PF-wallace
C-maxiel

6th man- AI

that to me is ten times scarier than the AI/Rip version of that lineup.

but, i doubt A.I or Rip would be cool with essentialy saying "stucky's better than me"

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

i dont know, see above. are they really that scary with a guy who doesn't really move the ball in offenseive sets? (and i love AI, but PG has never been a strength of his)

remeber, rip needs a pass first PG like billups or stucky to be truley effective. he struggles to set up hs own shot, he's much, much better at moving off the ball and catching the pass from his PG.

the only way this would really make me go "oh bleep" is if AI says "ya, stucky is a better true PG than me for this team, and rip needs a true PG to set up his offense, so i'm cool being the 6th man"

that is scary, because AI would tourch second units. He'd be liek the eastern conferance manu. that would scare me.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that by the end of the regular season, Stuckey will be playing starter minutes at the PG.

I think Dumars did well, Billups is not the guy who was able to hold Jason Kidd scoreless anymore and he still has four years in his contract.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This was a rumour yesterday. Is it actually happening?

Excellent trade for Denver. For Detroit? Not so much no.

McDyess was rumoured to be included primarily as a cost cutting measure for next season.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

Detroit could make additional moves to make it work even better. I'm just wondering how this effects celts in the playoff, would you rahter play against billups who rondo did a great job of staying infront of? or AI who I think will make rondo struggle guarding..?