Author Topic: Is Eddie House not the backup point guard?  (Read 2362 times)

Is Eddie House not the backup point guard?
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Almost 60 minutes played on the year... 0 assists.  Now I know he is primarily a shooter (not that he's been doing that all that well either), but as the backup PG and one who should be initiating offense... you'd think he'd have at least ONE assists by now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:54:28 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Is Eddie House not the backup point guard?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I should add that (unfortunately) I've only been able to watch one half of play so far this year, so I'm basing this strictly off box scores.  Not really sure how he's been doing as far as distributing is concerned.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've seen every minute of the 3 games and your exactly right. It's a major problem right now. In the preseason he was most effective when Doc played him at the sg and Pruitt as the pg. If Doc does not have faith in Pruitt then he needs to activate Cassell.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I've seen every minute of the 3 games and your exactly right. It's a major problem right now. In the preseason he was most effective when Doc played him at the sg and Pruitt as the pg. If Doc does not have faith in Pruitt then he needs to activate Cassell.

absolutely, it's painful to watch him try to put the team into its offense, and it's keeping him from doing what he does best: shooting. he should do it at the 2 for 10 mins a game, maybe more when he's hot.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:21:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Eddie has been pressing it a little, he's trying to replace Posey and be the bench's leader and scorer .... rather than just playing his game and doing what he was so successful at last year. He needs to calm down.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Another issue is being able to bring the ball over half court. I've noticed that Cleveland and Chicago started to press Eddie when he had the ball. It's bad enough that TA had to help with the ball-handling duties. It's marked difference of pace when Rondo is in. I think Doc should place Eddie at the 2 and have Gabe run the point. It would further exacerbate the size issues of the second unit (Powe, BBD, TA, House, and Pruitt)however.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I think Eddie has been pressing it a little, he's trying to replace Posey and be the bench's leader and scorer .... rather than just playing his game and doing what he was so successful at last year. He needs to calm down.

I agree with this.  You don't go 1-10 off the bench unless you're out to prove that you can be the next 6th man energy/clutch scorer.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Very astute observation. TP.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30
the problem with Eddie at point is that he doesn't play anything remotely close to the point guard's game. When he brings the ball up, his one and only goal is to pass it to someone as soon as possible to get the pressure off of him. There's no dissecting the defense, there's no confidence that he is looking for the best play possible. That's why everyone on the second unit gets this idea that they have to do it all. Even when TA brings it up, he's looking for his hole to drive. When Powe gets it, he rarely re-posts.

Rondo and even Pruitt bring poise to the position. They're able to set up plays and break down the defense. They can stay put and dribble for 5-10 seconds as the play develops. The coaches need to recognize that, because the 2nd unit's time is becoming just a stressful and disorganized frenzy.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Not only on the offensive end but on the defensive end House seems to be having a hard time keeping his man in front of him.  Pruitt did very well keeping his man in front of him in the preseason.   Also if you put House at the 2 spot you have to see who is playing the 2 for the opposing team because we would have a very short backcourt. 

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:28:35 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i really feel like tony is the point and eddie is the 2 on the second unit. which is fine with me because TA has been making some good passes out there, and this allows eddie to do more catch & shoot. and obviously eddie can't handle the full press.

i'm also very enthusiastic about the progression of gabe pruitt, i really feel like he's gonna earn this role and sadly... eddie's gonna be the one left out a little bit again.

PS. Pruitt jerseys are a really low price at celtics.com.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Not only on the offensive end but on the defensive end House seems to be having a hard time keeping his man in front of him.  Pruitt did very well keeping his man in front of him in the preseason.   Also if you put House at the 2 spot you have to see who is playing the 2 for the opposing team because we would have a very short backcourt. 

House doesn't have to defend the opposing shooting guard because Pruitt can. That's what they did in preseason when they used the 3guard lineup of House, Pruitt, and T.Allen.