Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 857 times)

Nostalgia
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I remember.
I remember first joining this blog in October of 2005, after seeing "Jeff from Celticsblog" post in a Chad Ford chat and receive a glowing review from Mr. Ford.
The Celtics roster upon my joining was:

Pierce
Jefferson
Lafrentz
Ricky Davis
Tony Allen
Delonte West
Marcus Banks
Perkins
Scalabrine
Gomes
Gerald Green
Orien Greene
Mark Blount
Jeff Reed
Dan Dickau

I remember creating numerous trade scenarios involving Pierce, but being told that the Clippers would never give up Livingston for Pierce, among other things.
I remember touting the virtues of the Dickau signing, coming off a career...2 month stretch.
I remember seemingly endlessly debating the virtues of Delonte over Marcus at point guard.
I remember being genuinely hopeful that a Green-Pierce-Jefferson trio would win the title by 2011 or so.
I remember debates about who was more likely to be in an all-star game: Jefferson or Perkins
I remember heated debates about who would be a better starting forward in the league: Jefferson or Gomes.
I remember believing that the perceived defensive prowess of Reed and Greene could make up for their respective offensive shortcomings...and that their offensive games would come.
I remember the 7 player midseason trade...and being so jaded about actual on-court play that I thought the future first round pick the C's received was the most valuable piece of that trade.
I remember the constant "if only's" and "maybe's" surrounding Wally and Raef and their injuries.

I was remembering these things today, and reflecting upon how nice it is now. No debates about the starting 5, and instead the debates are geared around backup positions, bench positions 11-15, who should/shouldn't suit, or, if someone is feeling particularly outlandish, what types of deals we could pull involving our 3rd all-star/4th or 5th most important player to try and extend a title window.

As much as I enjoyed the Celticsblog community from my first visit to the old site, I have to say...I like it better now.