Author Topic: Question for Celtics Blog Coaches  (Read 7317 times)

Question for Celtics Blog Coaches
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Gotta come to the hoops experts for this one...

I'm coaching a 7th and 8th grade basketball team for the first time in my life, and will find out the personnel I have next week. I understand the game well, and played for years. However, I have never coached a full season basketball team. I was hoping to get some tips from some of you guys on stuff you've done with teams in the past that have worked and things that have not (think 7th and 8th grade boys). I'd appreciate any help you have to try and be a better coach. Thanks guys...
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Question for Celtics Blog Coaches
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Hey firstly, I'm a very young coach, and while I've really only had about 1 year's worth of experience, I think I can relate to you, I've coached a few different levels, including some young ones.

They are usually a young and eager bunch, and willing listeners with very short concentration period. So better keep your talk short and straight to the point, and make sure you have planned what you are going to say (and preferably practise what you say) so there will be no hiccups and lose their attention.

For me personally, when I first meet my team, I'd like to outline my philosophies briefly and what I expect out of them (i.e. work hard, have fun etc) and what they can expect out of each training and me. Be realistic with your goals, that goes without saying.

And when you talk to them, maybe you can try get them to sit down first so you get their full attention.

And be nice to them, sometimes yelling is needed, but not too much. Make sure they know you care about them. Let them know you want them to improve as players and as a team. Tell them about working hard so they can be the next Kevin Garnett.

Coaching young kids are often fun, but frustrating, so have patience, as long as they are trying, you should be happy.

And Have Fun!

P.S. feel free to ask me anything if you want me to explain anything, or you can also PM me.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Make the entire experience fun for the players and make your drills competitive.  Kids that age love to compete and want to play-- they don't want to run boring drills for too long and they're not terribly motivated by stuff like practicing shooting form and technique.  Also don't talk too much or they'll tune you right out.

How you approach things depends on what level you're coaching.  If it's an in town team, keep it fun and keep it simple.  On offense, no set plays --spread the floor teach them cutting, pick and rolls and give and go's. Also give them something real basic for attacking zone defenses like a 1-3-1 set up.

Defensively play man to man.  Have a simple press breaker and 1 or 2 in bounds plays.

If it's travel you'll have more practice time on your hands and can get into more detail both offensively and defensively.  You'll likely be up against coaches who know what they're doing, so you'll have to do some real coaching, but again I think simpler is better -- still keep things fun and try to help the kids become better ballplayers first and foremost.

You can teach and stress fundamentals and still have fun doing it if you make your drills competitive -- i.e. instead of boring 2 line layups, see how many they can make in a minute or do one team vs the other -- first to 25 makes and the losers run...that type of thing.

Also try to vary your drills and give the kids at least 15 minutes scrimmage time every practice.  

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:18:57 PM »

• Don Chaney
TPs for both... thanks a lot guys

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I've been coaching for 5 years, at the freshman level, boys - and the others are right, keep it fun, but let them know that there's times when you get down to business.  Correct fudnamental flaws early - don't let them practice bad habits, because it just makes it worse (i.e. now is the time to correct the kid w/ the corkscrew release - by the time he's a 10th grader, its wayyyy too late) remember, practice makes permanent.  Another thing I try to do is let kids play different roles, i.e. don't have a 1st team and a 2nd team, it creates dissention - throw every kid a start, or better, give them a chance in practice to earn a start, say rebounding is your focus for the day, say whoever does the best job boxing out in practice gets an automatic start, and then really give it to the kid who does the best job - if you want it to be quantifiable, it can be how many rebounds a kid gets in a drill

but yes, good luck, the rewards are awesome - I lost every game of my 1st year, won 75% of them my 2nd, so you'll go through your ups and downs depending on the team - but the younger kids will run through a wall for you, and its awesome
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
As a former coach at the middle school, freshman, and varisty levels, I would consider focusing on a few things basketball wise:
DEFENSE
I would focus on defensive rotations, weak side defense, and boxing out. Generally at the middle school level you are willing to give up the outside shot, but not the lane. You don't need to pack it in, but you do need to have help at all times. Just try to keep your on ball defenders between their man and the basket. (If you can get your hands on a tape/book of Dick Bennet's basic principles and drills you will be set). Lastly, there will be a lot of missed shots. If you can teach rebounding ( fundamentals and rebounding attitiude) at that level, your kids will be way ahead of the game.
OFFENSE
I would focus on the basic fundamentals of shooting form, passing, ball handling, and floor spacing. Often times there is way too much time spent on running and executing plays when you should really be trying to improve each players skills. Remember that your real job is to prepare these players to paly at the next level or give them a lifetime skill for exercise, rather than win games. There are lots of fun ways to "drill" these skills. Another great way to build offensive skills for lots of players is to play 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 at the end of practice. This allows for enough spacing for players to actually use the skills you are practicing in a "game" situation.

These are strictly basketball skill ideas rather than team atmosphere ideas. As a former varsity coach, I can't stress enough that we need basketball players with skill more than we need middle school wins!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:28:11 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

These are strictly basketball skill ideas rather than team atmosphere ideas. As a former varsity coach, I can't stress enough that we need basketball players with skill more than we need middle school wins!

amen to that - the only danger is if you drive kids away from the sport b/c they only see success in terms of wins and losses, its very hard to get a 12 year old to see the big picture

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

amen to that - the only danger is if you drive kids away from the sport b/c they only see success in terms of wins and losses, its very hard to get a 12 year old to see the big picture

While I agree the big picture needs to be devolping the kids for high school, building the winning atmosphere is just as important imo.  I helped coach my bro's grade, they are now freshmen, but we had very good success winning and devolping players.  At my high school however the basketball program sucks.  I know that's bad for me to say but the coach is a real character that nobody likes.  We've had like 6 straight seasons with under 8 wins...up until last year when we had 9 wins, we had 8 total the pervious 3 season's combined.  So when I was coaching my bro's grade we were winning and if was an awesome experience not only for the kids but myself, as I never really was experiencing it at the high school level.  The summer for their freshmen year, they decieded that they wanted their people to work with them.  What was the result? p--- poor practices, and loss after loss.  It just amazed me how this group, who when I helped coach them for 2-3 seasons won .600% of its game to winning like 5 all summer.  This is why the kids transfer to the private school in my town LOL, but anyways back to my point. 

I agree 100% you need to devolp the kids skills for the high school program.  I'd try and run maybe one of their sets and their defense. I agree with the man-man and only playing that but if you have a bunch of slow kids, you need to think about zoning it up.  I hate the whole we play one way and one way only instead of adjusting to what you have on the team.  If you have a fast team, then you'll want to play man to man and run up and down the court.  If you have a big slow team you're going to want to play some zone and slow it down on offense.  I know you know all of this if you're getting into coaching and this is my opinion but just don't forget that winning does matter.  So when you go down there find out what you have and build on that.  Devolp the players and build a winning team!  Go get em coach! 

Rereading this I don't know how much this will help at all as its just one big rant haha...

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »

• Don Chaney
I just wanted to make sure I thanked everyone who posted on this... Your input is appreciated a ton. I knew this was where to go.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I'm coaching a 7th and 8th grade basketball team for the first time in my life, and will find out the personnel I have next week. I understand the game well, and played for years. However, I have never coached a full season basketball team. I was hoping to get some tips from some of you guys on stuff you've done with teams in the past that have worked and things that have not (think 7th and 8th grade boys). I'd appreciate any help you have to try and be a better coach. Thanks guys...

Good tips.

For your team, I'd coach aggressively and I'd do it with a smile on your face. Don't walk the ball up, and don't - under any circumstances - play zone. Kids this age need to attack the game. The running game and man defense are basic, fundamental skills I think every kid this age needs to master before you move on and begin installing intricate half-court sets and gimmick defenses.

I will say that I don't agree with the above statement about homogenizing your squad. I ask my junior high coach to identify players with specific skill sets and work to improve those skill sets. While wins and losses at that level don't concern me, I don't want them putting a 6-2 eighth grader at the point out of some misdirected tee ball-like mentality, either. Let's identify what skills each kid brings to the game and begin building on them

For you, make it abundantly clear to the parents that you're the coach and you're not running a democracy. In the years I've been coaching, parents have evolved from supportive into a lurking insurgency that has to be put into its place immediately. You're the coach. Don't take or invite input from parents. It can only cause you problems. I tell them at the pre-season meeting, "If you've got anything to say to me, say it now because I won't take calls or meetings from you during the season." It sounds Draconian, but I cannot overemphasize how important it is - at any level - to get parents under control.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:29:59 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:10:01 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Good tips.

For your team, I'd coach aggressively and I'd do it with a smile on your face. Don't walk the ball up, and don't - under any circumstances - play zone. Kids this age need to attack the game. The running game and man defense are basic, fundamental skills I think every kid this age needs to master before you move on and begin installing intricate half-court sets and gimmick defenses.

I will say that I don't agree with the above statement about homogenizing your squad. I ask my junior high coach to identify players with specific skill sets and work to improve those skill sets. While wins and losses at that level don't concern me, I don't want them putting a 6-2 eighth grader at the point out of some misdirected tee ball-like mentality, either. Let's identify what skills each kid brings to the game and begin building on them

For you, make it abundantly clear to the parents that you're the coach and you're not running a democracy. In the years I've been coaching, parents have evolved from supportive into a lurking insurgency that has to be put into its place immediately. You're the coach. Don't take or invite input from parents. It can only cause you problems. I tell them at the pre-season meeting, "If you've got anything to say to me, say it now because I won't take calls or meetings from you during the season." It sounds Draconian, but I cannot overemphasize how important it is - at any level - to get parents under control.

you're right about the parents being involved, but I do let them voice concerns, but it has to be at least 24 hours after a game - and their kid needs to talk to me 1st - so if Johnny isn't getting PT or playing the position he wants to, he should ask why - once we talk, if the parents are still concerned, they're more than welcome to talk with me about it - it doesn't mean anything is going to change, and I tell them that, but its good to keep the communication open, after all without the parents we wouldn't have a team (money paid to play)

as for the multiple positions thing, what I meant is every kid should be able to play at least 2 spots, that way if there's an injury, you can slide them in, and it makes them understand roles and plays much much better - no, a center shouldn't play point (unless they're an exceptional ballhandler, which does happen)

as for zones, as little as I use them, they should still be taught, because you don't want to be the guy who when the kids get to freshman or jv and the coach says, ok play a 2-3 zone, and they don't know how to, that gets blamed for it

also emphasize help defense - its so critical, and makes the team responsible for both good and bad d

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I disagree about zones entirely. They're easy to teach, and at this level I'd rather not use them anyway unless my club is so slow-footed that I've got no other choice to remain competitive.

As for parents, again, I won't discuss basketball-related issues with them at all during the season. If the kid's sick, or if the kid's got academic issues, that's different. No basketball, period, during the season.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
I disagree about zones entirely. They're easy to teach, and at this level I'd rather not use them anyway unless my club is so slow-footed that I've got no other choice to remain competitive.

As for parents, again, I won't discuss basketball-related issues with them at all during the season. If the kid's sick, or if the kid's got academic issues, that's different. No basketball, period, during the season.

again I think we'll disagree here, but I think especially if parents are footing the bill (and you're getting paid to be the professional in charge) parents are owed feedback about their kids, if they want it - I think the kid should come to your 1st, but if its not satisfactory, the parent should be able to talk with you, at a neutral time - or they'll end up going over your head and making you look dumb - one story on this - I had a 6 foot kid on my freshman team years back who wanted to play guard - he could play guard on the city teams b/c of lack of competition, but at my level he was very turnover prone, so he'd play the 4 and 5 - unfortunately he didn't bang, or work for rebounds, so he saw limited minutes - I talked with him about it, but it didn't really sink in - after the parent contacted me, on my terms, and understood for his kid to get more minutes he needed to develop more into a big (which was about mindset as much as anything) I saw an improvement in the kid's hussle, attitude, rebounding, defense, everything I wanted - it worked well in that case - in other cases sometimes you end up agreeing to disagree with the parent, but if the parent sees you as being approachable, logical, knowledgeable about the game, etc. you'll have 90% of them with you all year, which helps a whole lot

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:57:39 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Keep them active, you don't want kids standing around in lines.  You want to keep them moving.  Also, attempt to get drills that involve a lot of running, get your kids in shape.  I don't mean put the kids on the line and run their butts off, but get them moving while doing drills, by the end they won't realize how much running they've actually done.  Make sure you teach them how to play a good strong man to man defense.  Kids are getting to high school today with out knowing how to play man to man and it's ridiculous.  Technically, you should know how to play a man to man before you can even think of playing a zone, but thats not how it's taught.  I do agree on playing aggressive, if you do play a zone, play a 1-3-1, or a 1-2-2, get the traps going, get running. 
do it