Author Topic: Opening Night Ovations  (Read 1382 times)

Opening Night Ovations
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I meant to bring this one up the other day but kept forgetting.

I thought it was pretty interesting to hear the level of cheering individual Celtics received as they were announced during the ring ceremony the other night.

The two that struck me the most were Doc Rivers and Tom Thibodeau.  Hearing Doc receive a heroic, raucous ovation from 15,000+ Boston fans is one of the most amazing turnarounds imaginable.

And I'm telling you, the cheers for Tom T were amazing.  The guy is like a cult hero among the hardcore C's fans who truly understand how big a part he played last year.  When has an assistant coach (I know he's called an associate coach) ever been so revered?

My order of hugest ovations:

1) PP
2) KG
3) Doc
4) Ray Allen
5) Tom T
6) Rondo
7) Powe
8) Perk, House and probably Scals on the sarcastic level
Yup

Re: Opening Night Ovations
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
Thanks for bringing that up, Redz.  I couldn't hear it over the jukebox. 

I am torn on the sarcastic cheer thing.  Most of me knows that it is mean and that scal is a nice guy that drove Tony Allen to the hospital when they both got injured two years ago (I couldn't imagine Tom Brady getting driven to the hospital by a player, btw.  Not to start a rumor but does Ed Lacerte have a driver's license?)

On the other hand, being a fan sort of makes it o.k. to be hyper judgemental and critical of pro athletes: they are my entertainment.  It's fun to holler "MVP" when Captain Cheeseburger gets on the court in garbage time and nails a three with a man in his face, finishing the game going 1-8.

So to thread back in, Doc really deserves it.  He has taken a beating from us over the years.
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 01:41:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The other really stupid chant that seems to still have some legs is the "USA" chant when a foreign player comes to the line.  It didn't get very far, but there was an audible USA chant going opening night when Ilgauskas came to the line.  It made me want to line up every last fool who was yelling that  and female-breeding-dog slap `em.

Those same people [dang] well better give Kobe a standing ovation and chant USA for real when he gets to the line.  Or Lebron for that matter.  Didn't hear it. 

I just don't get that chant.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:48:57 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
The other really stupid chant that seems to still have some legs is the "USA" chant when a foreign player comes to the line.  It didn't get very far, but there was an audible USA chant going opening night when Ilgauskas came to the line.  It made me want to line up every last fool who was yelling that  and female-breeding-dog slap `em.

Those same people [dang] well better give Kobe a standing ovation and chant USA for real when he gets to the line.  Or Lebron for that matter.  Didn't hear it. 

I just don't get that chant.

Thank You!
TP
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!