Author Topic: What is Wrong with BBD?!  (Read 5451 times)

What is Wrong with BBD?!
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't know what is going on out there, but BBD looks absolutely terrible so far this year. He reminds me of that guy in pickup ball that shows up all the time and although he is hustling real hard, he has no talent and just makes a mess of everything. He looks completely out of control on the floor. He is constantly falling down, into people, and stumbling all over the place. He seems to finish worse around the rim than he did last year. He has taken over for the old Perk in committing stupid fouls. I have been hard on the guy about not coming into camp in shape, which may be a lot of it, but this is over the top. What's the deal?!

Re: What is Wrong with BBD?!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:21:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
He's never going to be graceful out there.  He's a bull.

I've seen that energy be disruptive on defensive, though it isn't as effective on offense.  He creates, or keeps alive, a lot of contested loose balls.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nothing wrong with him, he is looking and playing exactly like he did last year.  It is pretty amusing/at times frustrating that the guy can't stay on his feet.  That's a good point.  He's always running into someone, tripping on his own feet, diving on the floor and out of bounds.  I would like him to grab a few more defensive rebounds when he's out there, but he is what he is.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The only thinking that I have noticed is the jumper is not falling. Because of his height, he'll need a consistent jumper to be an effective NBA offensive player.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, he's gonna have to develop that 15 foot jumper if he wants to stick in the league for more than a few years.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I know he did similar things last year, but he seems even worse out there. I was actually embarrassed for him watching him play the past couple games. It has to be the weight then. I am amazed that the guy continues to try to force up shots under the basket when he gets swatted every single time. I sure hope he figures out soon that if he doesn't get his weight in control, doesn't start working on developing an offensive game, then POB is going to take his spot real soon. At least we have Powe...

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:55:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think him getting swatted that often has more to do with his height and lack of fakes.

I don't know if I can say he isn't committed to losing weight (or getting in shape) when he was just about the only one that stayed the whole summer in Waltham working out.

He got careless towards the end of last season, but I just can't at the moment say that his current weight problem is because of a lack of effort. I do see him in much better shape than the end of last season... sadly it isn't enough.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think its too early in the season to start worrying about Big Baby. The C's don't need a lot of production from him they just need him to be solid. Consistency was the big knock on BBD last season and it looks as though its still a problem. But the season is still young and I think BBD has what it takes to make it in the league. He'll come around soon enough.

Leon Powe is quite a few steps ahead of BBD and he deserves a lot more minutes off the bench. He makes a bigger impact on the game than BBD does right now. Davis will have to figure out how to contribute to this team to boost his playing time.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't know what Big Baby has done in the offseason, but staying in the weight room isn't enough.  He's gotta eat right.  He seems bigger and even though that may be added bulk, there's a lot of flabbiness around.  He should've decreased his daily intake during the offseason.

In the end, for a guy like Big Baby, it doesnt matter if u lift weights and run all day, you cant eat a McDonalds cheeseburger right afterwards.  This, of course, is just a speculation.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
A professional sports organization has to have a dietician or five around.  I think BBD needs to get one to plot him out a diet.  If he can stick to it he'll probably drop in weight.

Then again, some folks are just big.  And if he stays that way his whole career, he can make up for it in other ways.  We don't know enough about him to speculate what's up with his weight.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I thought Davis would be in better shape at the beginning of this season.  Anyway he is still young and has a lot to learn.  Perk was not Perk in his second season.

On other hand, every time I watch Powe I like him more..  This guy is the real deal.

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »

Offline Norcalceltic

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Baby has looked bad. That 2nd unit is too short. I like Leon at the 4, but we need a Center or a guy taller than 6'5" to play with him. Hopefully POB can develop into that player, but I'm not so sure about that. Or maybe PJ can come back.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Until he gets in better shape, he is a matchup guy. 

Unfortunately with him playing with Powe, he isn't getting the matchup that would be better for him.  Powe is.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Powe is the man!  And to think- last year so many people were saying Big Baby deserved to play over Leon.  If Leon was on a bad team and playing starters minutes he would be a 20/10 guy.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
Powe is the man!  And to think- last year so many people were saying Big Baby deserved to play over Leon.  If Leon was on a bad team and playing starters minutes he would be a 20/10 guy.

Wholeheartedly agree!  TP for that one.  :)