Author Topic: I do not need to see 82games  (Read 5546 times)

Re: I do not need to see 82games
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
No i do not think we are on the same wavelength in this matter.First what i was trying to convey was Tony's mechanics,Tony's mental lapses,Tony's jumpshot range/abilities were things in preseason and the first game showed evidence that he hasn't changed a lot in them, and it doesn't take a full season to see it.I notice throughout the blog on different threads posters have made reference to his mechanics still being poor,his lack of dishing the ball enough during games so far,etc.but those posters did not get the ganged up on feeling i got from trying to bring up some of the same issues.Is it because im not an established blogger here ?I noticed when 1 hit you here they come in bunches and usually by the same group. Tony like BBD did not make many improvements in his time off as far as key things i felt he should have improved on.

I don´t think that the fact that you´re new has anything to do with this.
Welcome on CB, here is your first TP.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I do not need to see 82 games to see that Tony Allen did not work on developing a good consistent outside jumper for this season.I do not need 82 games to tell me that he did get his hops back but kept his mental lapses in tack.I do not need 82 games to tell me that Tony still has the ability to slash to the basket with reckless abandonment and sometimes  fail to recognize when he should kick the ball out to the perimeter.I expected Tony to work on his shooting mechanics by developing a decent jumpshot.He still has the same slingshot-looking   shot he had as a rookie.I know he worked hard at getting his knee in condition but not much else has improved or changed in his game.I fail to see what so many are trying to say when they see him being new and improved.This team needs more than a slasher to the hole everytime.That will get old and not work as time passes.We need a perimeter threat besides Ray and House.I was hoping TA was going to surprise us with a consistent 14-15ft.jumper this season.

So, just so we're on the same wavelength on this, 17 minutes and 17 seconds is a fair sample size to judge a guy's entire summer and preseason as well as what he'll be capable of in the 81 regular season games and currently indeterminate playoff games  that haven't happened yet?

I've long been an admitted TA skeptic in several regards, but that sounds a bit off kilter to me.

-sw
No i do not think we are on the same wavelength in this matter.First what i was trying to convey was Tony's mechanics,Tony's mental lapses,Tony's jumpshot range/abilities were things in preseason and the first game showed evidence that he hasn't changed a lot in them, and it doesn't take a full season to see it.I notice throughout the blog on different threads posters have made reference to his mechanics still being poor,his lack of dishing the ball enough during games so far,etc.but those posters did not get the ganged up on feeling i got from trying to bring up some of the same issues.Is it because im not an established blogger here ?I noticed when 1 hit you here they come in bunches and usually by the same group. Tony like BBD did not make many improvements in his time off as far as key things i felt he should have improved on.

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here (see bolded text).  As I would presume is the case with most others here at CB, I write solely of my own volition and don't engage in any sort of collusion with other members.  For my part, it seemed that the tone of your commentary and rhetoric was a bit harsh given how young this new season is, which is why I responded to what I consider a rush to judgment.

Certainly, it has nothing to do with your level of tenure here. 

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I write solely of my own volition and don't engage in any sort of collusion with other members. 

Come on, Steve.  I know you're the ring-leader of the pro-Tony movement.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I write solely of my own volition and don't engage in any sort of collusion with other members.

Come on, Steve.  I know you're the ring-leader of the pro-Tony movement.

I meant besides that.  My pro-Tony ring-leadership is a given by now.   ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
TA's jumper will be better then Rondo's. Just give him time.

TA is a practice shooter.  Rondo is a game shooter.

You cant teach focus under pressure.  TA is terrible in crunch time.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The scary thing is - I don't need to say 82games to know that TA is playing the best out our 3 shooting guards (who are in the rotation). Ray Allen isn't far off from his playoff disappearance in Cleveland. Eddie House has been just plain bad.. TA though not great has been a bit worse then okay..

If we want to pick on a guy - how about big baby Davis. I don't know about you but I think he is vying for Scalabrine for the mantle of worst player on the team..

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Has Rondo even taken a shot this year?  Big Baby's put up more jumpers.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:31:54 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 04:11:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
The scary thing is - I don't need to say 82games to know that TA is playing the best out our 3 shooting guards (who are in the rotation). Ray Allen isn't far off from his playoff disappearance in Cleveland. Eddie House has been just plain bad.. TA though not great has been a bit worse then okay..

If we want to pick on a guy - how about big baby Davis. I don't know about you but I think he is vying for Scalabrine for the mantle of worst player on the team..

again, its been 3 games people. ray got shut down a bit in clevland, which is kind of to be expected. clevland's defense with regardes to us seems to be "if pierce can beat him, let him. double KG, chase ray allen. do not double paul." which puts the onus on paul (who smoked them again) and rondo (who also had his best game of the young season)

most teams seem to play the "let ray beat us" and double pierce in the paint and KG, which lets ray float around more.

the second game, he barley played, since it was a blowout (and he actually shot pretty well)

the third game everyone not named KG was atrocious.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Has Rondo even taken a shot this year?  Big Baby's put up for jumpers.

yea, he bricked one in the indy game hehe.

one thing though, at least he ATTACKS now when teams do the "go play in the corner rajon" defense. In a perfect world, he'd take the flippin jumpshot. but at least now he does what i wanted him to do last year and goes "ok, well if your going to give me 15 feet of space to attack the basket, here i come" rather than catch it and wait to repost KG or give it up to someone like he did last year.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Has Rondo even taken a shot this year?  Big Baby's put up for jumpers.

yea, he bricked one in the indy game hehe.

one thing though, at least he ATTACKS now when teams do the "go play in the corner rajon" defense. In a perfect world, he'd take the flippin jumpshot. but at least now he does what i wanted him to do last year and goes "ok, well if your going to give me 15 feet of space to attack the basket, here i come" rather than catch it and wait to repost KG or give it up to someone like he did last year.

TP for that thought.

Just as a note, though, I didn't think KG played particularly well either.  He was repeatedly burned when their bigs stepped out to take jumpers (although they should get a lot of the credit for hitting the shots), and he got called for travelling at least 4 times that I noticed. 

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I do not need to see 82 games to see that Tony Allen did not work on developing a good consistent outside jumper for this season.I do not need 82 games to tell me that he did get his hops back but kept his mental lapses in tack.I do not need 82 games to tell me that Tony still has the ability to slash to the basket with reckless abandonment and sometimes  fail to recognize when he should kick the ball out to the perimeter.I expected Tony to work on his shooting mechanics by developing a decent jumpshot.He still has the same slingshot-looking   shot he had as a rookie.I know he worked hard at getting his knee in condition but not much else has improved or changed in his game.I fail to see what so many are trying to say when they see him being new and improved.This team needs more than a slasher to the hole everytime.That will get old and not work as time passes.We need a perimeter threat besides Ray and House.I was hoping TA was going to surprise us with a consistent 14-15ft.jumper this season.

I 100% agree with everything you have said. Not only do I not need 82 games to form conclusions about TA, but I actually don't think I need more than 3 :'(

Mental farts are his only problem. I mean, if I were driving into 2+ defenders and had Allen/House/anybody open in a feet-set stance, I'd hit them every time. Tony on the other hand, wouldn't.

He will forever be dubbed "Turnover Tony" and I take full credit for that name.

I support him 100%, but he hasn't improved on anything other than conditioning over the off-season.

Stop making excuses for him people! There is no excuse for still lacking a consistent jumper! No excuse! My jumper improved over the off season, so why couldn't his? Cuz Doc told them to "rest up"? Bushleague! Last time I checked taking jumpers every day isn't too stressful on the body. Especially when you have a crew rebounding for you and passing you the balls.

Shame on you Tony, you disappoint us all (but I still have love/support).
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland