Author Topic: I do not need to see 82games  (Read 5548 times)

I do not need to see 82games
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I do not need to see 82 games to see that Tony Allen did not work on developing a good consistent outside jumper for this season.I do not need 82 games to tell me that he did get his hops back but kept his mental lapses in tack.I do not need 82 games to tell me that Tony still has the ability to slash to the basket with reckless abandonment and sometimes  fail to recognize when he should kick the ball out to the perimeter.I expected Tony to work on his shooting mechanics by developing a decent jumpshot.He still has the same slingshot-looking   shot he had as a rookie.I know he worked hard at getting his knee in condition but not much else has improved or changed in his game.I fail to see what so many are trying to say when they see him being new and improved.This team needs more than a slasher to the hole everytime.That will get old and not work as time passes.We need a perimeter threat besides Ray and House.I was hoping TA was going to surprise us with a consistent 14-15ft.jumper this season.

Re: I do not need to see 82games
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I do not need to see 82 games to see that Tony Allen did not work on developing a good consistent outside jumper for this season.I do not need 82 games to tell me that he did get his hops back but kept his mental lapses in tack.I do not need 82 games to tell me that Tony still has the ability to slash to the basket with reckless abandonment and sometimes  fail to recognize when he should kick the ball out to the perimeter.I expected Tony to work on his shooting mechanics by developing a decent jumpshot.He still has the same slingshot-looking   shot he had as a rookie.I know he worked hard at getting his knee in condition but not much else has improved or changed in his game.I fail to see what so many are trying to say when they see him being new and improved.This team needs more than a slasher to the hole everytime.That will get old and not work as time passes.We need a perimeter threat besides Ray and House.I was hoping TA was going to surprise us with a consistent 14-15ft.jumper this season.

and you thought he'd be developing this when exactly in a 2 and a half month off season, a month of which doc told them to rest up for so they would be ready to go next season?

do you think if i worked on a midrange jumper for a stunning month it would go from crappy to average?

this isn't video games people, they dont get some sort of "training upgrade!!!!!" during the month and a half off. They work on those things during the season.

the reason rondo and leon made strides last year was they had 4 and a half months off, due to suckatude. This year was blessedly a bit different.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm going to copy the following response and paste it into every thread I see like this (there has been a few in recent days, and there will be more, unfortunately):

During the course of the season, get off the backs of the players and support them. Don't look for things to criticise them and just remember that we're the defending NBA champions. Then, if we don't capture banner 18 this season, feel free to pitch in on where we went wrong. But for the sake of the team, and the members of this blog, please stop complaining about the various things you concoct when you're bored.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
just count how many and1's the trifecta of pierce/tallen/powe get in a given game. its very nice. TA will be back on track by the allstar break, he will be back to his preinjury stats and all will be well.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
While I am concern with TA playing the role he has now, I am not going to jump the gun this early. 

Hopefully he can find consistency and help this team win.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
just count how many and1's the trifecta of pierce/tallen/powe get in a given game. its very nice. TA will be back on track by the allstar break, he will be back to his preinjury stats and all will be well.

Pre-injury stats off the bench? 

I hope not.  He needs to be better then that.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

KG and Pierce also spend a lot of time on the perimeter. Tony also gets fouled a lot on his shots. I think that a good slasher wo gets to the line a lot will work pretty well with the 2nd unit.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I completely agree.  One thing that has been proven, and which I like about Pierce's (and in a much smaller scale, Tony Allen) compared to Ray Allen is that whenever the shots are not going in, Pierce can just take it to the hole.

As it was shown on the game, whenever the offense halted, all Pierce had to do is slash to the basket and he'd either get the shot, a foul, or both.  That is a great way to get out of the funk, and TA does have the ability to do that.  I think thats important when we have the 2nd unit out and the offense is out sync.  Besides, with shooters, thats what House and Pruit (again, a smaller scale here) are there for.

Basically, for the squad that we have now, if you asked which Tony would you prefer, a slashing Tony or a shooter, I would have to say a slashing Tony.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

11 pts, 3 Reb, 2 Asts, 1.5 stls wouldn't be good off the bench?

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Every player in the NBA has their flaws. If you want to dislike a player, you can always find a justification.

I'm just happy we have someone who can go to the hoop on our second team. Posey and House last year were glued to the perimeter, as both are pretty bad at getting to the hoop and finishing. That led to a lot of hapless offensive possessions for the guys off the bench, in case you don't remember.

I'm fine with TA being aggressive and getting his bearings early in the season.

It might also be misguided to fixate on TA's form on his jumper. It would take a lot of time and work to change that and then get his shot anywhere near as accurate as his current jumper.

I also still don't understand the guys who want a starter to do the shooting with the "second team". If anything, you want the guys who are playing the shorter minutes to do as much as possible while they are on the floor. The starters playing with them is a great safety net, but why not wear out Powe and TA while they are on the floor instead of wearing out Ray Allen, for example, who will be expected to close the game?

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

So, just so we're on the same wavelength on this, 17 minutes and 17 seconds is a fair sample size to judge a guy's entire summer and preseason as well as what he'll be capable of in the 81 regular season games and currently indeterminate playoff games  that haven't happened yet?

I've long been an admitted TA skeptic in several regards, but that sounds a bit off kilter to me.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
TA's jumper will be better then Rondo's. Just give him time.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

11 pts, 3 Reb, 2 Asts, 1.5 stls wouldn't be good off the bench?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3842/splits?year=2006&type=Fielding

as a sub

5.6 pts, .7 assists, 1.7 rebounds, .5 steals and 1.3 TOs is not good enough for what the Celtics needs. 

His numbers that years are better from the stretch he started. 

He has to be better then that coming off the bench.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
TA has a good game, and people say it's too early to tell... it's meaningless. TA has a bad game, suddenly it's conclusive that TA is not up to the task. I love the logic around here.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:09:42 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

So, just so we're on the same wavelength on this, 17 minutes and 17 seconds is a fair sample size to judge a guy's entire summer and preseason as well as what he'll be capable of in the 81 regular season games and currently indeterminate playoff games  that haven't happened yet?

I've long been an admitted TA skeptic in several regards, but that sounds a bit off kilter to me.

-sw
No i do not think we are on the same wavelength in this matter.First what i was trying to convey was Tony's mechanics,Tony's mental lapses,Tony's jumpshot range/abilities were things in preseason and the first game showed evidence that he hasn't changed a lot in them, and it doesn't take a full season to see it.I notice throughout the blog on different threads posters have made reference to his mechanics still being poor,his lack of dishing the ball enough during games so far,etc.but those posters did not get the ganged up on feeling i got from trying to bring up some of the same issues.Is it because im not an established blogger here ?I noticed when 1 hit you here they come in bunches and usually by the same group. Tony like BBD did not make many improvements in his time off as far as key things i felt he should have improved on.