Author Topic: If he started the season Cold. I'd Trade Ray Ray for........  (Read 11571 times)

If he started the season Cold. I'd Trade Ray Ray for........
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Sean Marion. Straight up. Or if they want throw in Baby, Walker, Or Pruitt. One or two of those guys.

Miami gets Ray to space the floor For Wade And Beasley.

Marion and Wade together is a bad fit. There both Suspect Shooters from outside. And you could definitely play all 3 together. Also Big baby would add some depth to the frontcourt.

We get Marion, a guy who runs and jumps like a dear. Not the shooter Ray is, but A much better defender, 3 years younger, and one of the best rebounding small Forwards of the modern error.

I think he would fit in perfect here. Out of the Big 3. One guy has to know he's the clear 3rd option. And That's perfect for a guy like marion. And ray would be a better 2nd option for the heat.

We would be a better Defensive team, And a much better rebounding team Which is Scary.
Again the Matrix is the perfect 3rd option, he can focus on what he does best. And just take the offense that comes to him.

So now are S.F. problem is all set. He also can play as a Small power forward like Posey. And now are only thing we need is a Back up Shooting guard. It makes us a little bigger overall.

oh yea and Danny get's Chalmers from them too at the last moment.

Re: If he started the season Cold. I'd Trade Ray Ray for........
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sean Marion. Straight up. Or if they want throw in Baby, Walker, Or Pruitt. One or two of those guys.

Miami gets Ray to space the floor For Wade And Beasley.

Marion and Wade together is a bad fit. There both Suspect Shooters from outside. And you could definitely play all 3 together. Also Big baby would add some depth to the frontcourt.

We get Marion, a guy who runs and jumps like a dear. Not the shooter Ray is, but A much better defender, 3 years younger, and one of the best rebounding small Forwards of the modern error.

I think he would fit in perfect here. Out of the Big 3. One guy has to know he's the clear 3rd option. And That's perfect for a guy like marion. And ray would be a better 2nd option for the heat.

We would be a better Defensive team, And a much better rebounding team Which is Scary.
Again the Matrix is the perfect 3rd option, he can focus on what he does best. And just take the offense that comes to him.

So now are S.F. problem is all set. He also can play as a Small power forward like Posey. And now are only thing we need is a Back up Shooting guard. It makes us a little bigger overall.

oh yea and Danny get's Chalmers from them too at the last moment.

"knowing he's the third option is perfect for a guy like marion"

do you not remeber why he forced a trade and left the suns? he wants to be a star of a team. his entire reason for forcing that trade was that he was the third banana behind nash and amare.

sounds like a perfect fit.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
We're talking about the same guy that couldn't decide whether he'd want to be the 3rd option on a contending team or the #1 option on a mediocre team?

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Not sure about the fit, but Marion is the better player at this point and his contract expires a year earlier.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
We're talking about the same guy that couldn't decide whether he'd want to be the 3rd option on a contending team or the #1 option on a mediocre team?

He ended up being neither.

I would like to stray as far away from Marion as possible. Don't like him as a person and not that much as a player either.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Hopefully he understands now. He's not as good as he thought he was. He's 30 Now, And knows he ain't gonna win Squadoosh On that team. He's also not Quite the Gunner Ray has been over his career.

His Career High for PPG Is 21.8 Carrer Avg. 18.3

Ray's is High 26.4  and Avg. 21.1

You don't think instead of 18 and 10 on a crap team.

He would take 16 and 11 on the world champion Boston Celtics

Playing with 2 hall of famers. 1 of the best big men of all time, and A top 3 dominant wing player along side him??

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why?   ???

First of all, you're gonna mess with this team's chemistry.  Anyone remember the last days of Marion in Phoenix?  It wasn't exactly pretty.  This guy wants to be THE MAN.  That won't happen in Boston and I strongly suspect he will express that displeasure.

Ray has been nothing but a professional from day one in Boston and, while clearly on the downside of his career, can still bring it and be a HUGE competitor for this team.

I also don't see why Miami would do this trade.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Get in on this One Redz Roy. Do you think we could be a better team this year and going forward with Marion.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Not sure marion would work out.  He is a player that needs to start.  That means
Pierce moves to the 2-guard spot.  It may be interesting to see him play as an off guard but in the long run, paul is better as a 3.  Playing Marion as a 4 leaves Perk
on the bench and makes us weak in post defense.  I'm not saying it would be a total
failure, I just think ray is worth more to us right now.  

I think we would have to get in return for ray someone that is a good spot up shooter
that can also handle the ball.  He should also be fairly athletic so we have another capable finisher on the break.  They would need to have a good attitude so they didn't upset the tremendous chemistry of the team. He should also be bald and about 6'5"........oh yeh, we already have him.

I may be wrong, but I truly beleive that Ray may be as close to a perfect fit as you could find for this team.  Just the right attitude, just the right skills.
Aside from a few untouchables (Joe Johnson comes to mind), I think ray just fits
here too well.

Sorry so long.  Sometime I just feel the need to defend ray.  he should retire a celtic (and replace Donny Marshall in the booth after that)

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I understand your point about Attitude. I love ray's that's for sure. But I just feel like We really could be better and realistically Ray's the oldest, weakest member of the bunch. If the Rockets stay healthy and make it to the finals. I could see them beating us with this team.

With Marion though, I think we beat them.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Hopefully he understands now. He's not as good as he thought he was. He's 30 Now, And knows he ain't gonna win Squadoosh On that team. He's also not Quite the Gunner Ray has been over his career.

Playing with 2 hall of famers. 1 of the best big men of all time, and A top 3 dominant wing player along side him??

it was a freaking year ago man...its not like he was 24 and dumb when he forced the trade...

i understand your logic, but i think your denying the reality of the situation.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd also like to point out that although Marion is younger, he has played in a ton of games and the trend seems to be in recent years that he is basically spent by the time the playoffs roll around.  Now that can be reprimanded with reduced regualar season minutes but its not like the Celtics would exactly be getting fresh legs in contrast to Ray.

I can see us beating the Rockets without giving up Ray.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

This reminds me of the posts about Marbury. People are who they are. The idea that losing on Miami will all of a sudden make Marion accept what he wouldn't before is far-fetched.

Too risky a move due to attitude. If it weren't for the attitude, Marin would be too expensive. The only reason he was traded in the first place was attitude.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Get in on this One Redz Roy. Do you think we could be a better team this year and going forward with Marion.

Marion is a rare talent, but I don't think he has the mental makeup to play on this team.  He forced his way out of Phoenix because he couldn't stand the attention Nash and Amare were getting.  I don't think he's the "ubuntu" type of a guy.

(Also, I love Ray Allen, even if he is getting older.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'd also like to point out that although Marion is younger, he has played in a ton of games and the trend seems to be in recent years that he is basically spent by the time the playoffs roll around.  Now that can be reprimanded with reduced regualar season minutes but its not like the Celtics would exactly be getting fresh legs in contrast to Ray.

I can see us beating the Rockets without giving up Ray.
I don't accept the # of games responses to age issues. It doesn't make a difference if a 25 year old plays 20 extra games. The problem with older players is not all the games they played in the past, but the change in their bodies due to age. If they made it through the extra games without serious injury, the games played aren't an issue. The slow down of the body's ability to heal is the actual problem.