Author Topic: James Posey Threads (merged)  (Read 26512 times)

Re: James Posey Threads (merged)
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Again, though, spot up shooters are only useful if they are left alone. This rarely happens with the 2nd unit. When the offense is struggling to get something going Posey isn't very useful. Tony can at least create opportunities and get tot the line.

but the more shooters you have the greater chance you have that one of them is open...

Once again, they only get open if someone else draws their defender away. In other words, if you don't have a post player who they have to double or someone cutting to the basket, you don't have any open shooters. You're putting the cart before the horse. You've probably heard phrases like "live by the outside shot, die by the outside shot". How often do you hear "that team's doomed to fail because they attack the hoop too aggressively"?

i don't agree. The motion offense that we run has the ability to get open looks for shooters - more so the more shooters you have.

we don't have to speculate about this. we did it last year.

also, dribble drive is much more effective when a defense has to worry about getting burned by snipers lining the perimeter...

Sure, the dribble drive is more effective when you have shooters on the perimeter. But we have more shooters than drivers. Any time Allen's in we have 2 of Paul and Ray and Eddie, who are all good outside shooters.

but this is also not exclusively a TA/Posey debate. we had BOTH last year.....but the difference with Pose is that he is also bringing with him another 'big' away from the basket....something TA, Eddie and Ray aren't doing...

that added space clears more room for Paul or Ray or KG to do their work depending on who is in there.

Posey only brings a 'big' away when he's playing pf, which he had defensive issues doing. You'll notice that Ainge said during (or right after) the playoffs that we were trying to avoid playing Posey at the pf during the playoffs because those lineups were less effective.

I'm not saying that Posey's outside shooting was a bad thing. I'm just saying that it's no more valuable than a slasher or a decent post up player. We still have some shooters on the roster and more offense from Powe and Tony Allen on the second unit will help that unit at least as much if not more than a spot up shooter.

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Posey only brings a 'big' away when he's playing pf, which he had defensive issues doing. You'll notice that Ainge said during (or right after) the playoffs that we were trying to avoid playing Posey at the pf during the playoffs because those lineups were less effective.

I'm not saying that Posey's outside shooting was a bad thing. I'm just saying that it's no more valuable than a slasher or a decent post up player. We still have some shooters on the roster and more offense from Powe and Tony Allen on the second unit will help that unit at least as much if not more than a spot up shooter.

i hope you are right about another shooter being no more valuable than a slasher. my worry is that we will miss the extra shooter - specifically coming from the SF and PF positions where Pose played.

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

i hope you are right about another shooter being no more valuable than a slasher. my worry is that we will miss the extra shooter - specifically coming from the SF and PF positions where Pose played.

oh, i want another shooter, I just hope we can move scal's contract and baby for something mid season.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

oh, i want another shooter, I just hope we can move scal's contract and baby for something mid season.

maybe we are not that far apart then because i don't want to get rid of TA. I have long touted the fact that dribble-drivers are at a premium in the NBA and am glad we kept him.

i just am feeling like we are going to miss the clutch 3pt shooting like we got from  a 6'8" player like Pose...

i know DA loves shooters. he always has. he was one for gosh sakes. so i would bet that he is looking and thinking about how to get one...

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I thoroughly disagree as a coach with the assertion that a driver is the same as a perimeter shooter. FAR easier to defend a slasher, especially one who's frequently out of control like TA.

We will have to have a perimeter shooter off the bench to make a playoff run. And I'm not at all willing to rule out moving TA to get one.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I thoroughly disagree as a coach with the assertion that a driver is the same as a perimeter shooter. FAR easier to defend a slasher, especially one who's frequently out of control like TA.

We will have to have a perimeter shooter off the bench to make a playoff run. And I'm not at all willing to rule out moving TA to get one.

is it really that hard to defend a unathletic spot up shooter like posey or house if you don't have a slasher to worry about though?

I thin they both have thier uses, and in a perfect world we drop scal for a wing shooter via trade, or (and i think this is possable considering how ok he seems to be with the bench) you cut sam, immeditly make him an assistant coach, and use the last spot for said shooter.

also, about tony, I'd like to submit again that the jury should be out. he played well in two wins, and awful in a loss where EVERYONE played awful.

like to get double digit games under hsi belt, if he keeps averaging 11 PPG, 1.5 Assists and 3 boards to go along ith a steal and only one TO in 15-20 minutes, i'm very ok with tony's minutes.

if he plays more like the pacers game, i'm not.

I'm an admitted skeptic (and wanted him gone and posey back, still would have preferred that) but tony hasen't played poorley enough yet to justifity (tony sucks!) threds like the "i don't need 82 games"

Tony has actually been pretty solid so far, better than i thought he would be.

and, also, do you mean just a shooter off the bench? because we have 2 of those in house and pruitt. if you mean wing shooter i agree with you, but another gaurd shooter is useless atm.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

As a coach, could you enlighten us as to why it's so hard to defend against a player standing outside the 3 point line waiting  for a pass? personally, I'd think that someone who can dribble by their man would be AT LEAST as much of a problem for a defense.