Author Topic: James Posey Threads (merged)  (Read 26500 times)

James Posey Threads (merged)
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30
The Hornets-Suns game is on and I'm watching Posey hit clutch 3s again and again. This sucks. However the Suns, for their part, seem to be ignoring him for some reason (Steve Nash sagging off him?). Maybe they underestimated him. We certainly won't.

Re: James Posey Threads (merged)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I am guessing this will be the first in a long, long, long, long line of in season "I really wish we had kept James Posey" threads that will probably overtake the "bring back Antoine" threads this season as most irritating to see come up on the Recent Posts section.

I'll admit, Pose has looked real good so far for the Hornets. But I'll still stick with my assessment that it was one year too many at the price he was looking for. It just might cost us a banner this year though that is no guarantee in either direction, but it might have won us two banners a bit further down the road.

The expiring deals of the GPA in consecutive years is going to give this team a ton of flexibility to upgrade it's roster during that time and Posey's deal would probably have hindered that. Yeah, I read the Simmons article at ESPN.com saying that his dad thought it was better for a banner this year than to plan for 2011 and 2012 but that was no guarantee as I said.

Oh well. Have at people. James Posey has had two very good games in a row for the Hornets. Let the lamenting begin.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
So I am guessing this will be the first in a long, long, long, long line of in season "I really wish we had kept James Posey" threads that will probably overtake the "bring back Antoine" threads this season as most irritating to see come up on the Recent Posts section.

At least the Posey ones have some merit, and the wounds are still fresh.  Antoine's ancient history.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

At least the Posey ones have some merit, and the wounds are still fresh.  Antoine's ancient history.

TP, was about to say the same thing.

at least these threads will be reaility based.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:27 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'll be rooting for Posey, although I may get a little jealous when he starts making big plays in the last few minutes of playoff games.  Still, I support the decision not to overpay in terms of years.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nick and I agree more than we disagree, but we're miles apart on this one.

My position hasn't changed: Penny-wise and banner foolish. We haven't replaced his perimeter shooting, and only time will tell if Tony Allen's penchant for the catastrophic mistake will outweigh his defensive abilities. He certainly can't shoot from the outside like Posey.

If this was about one year, then Danny made a big mistake.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

My position hasn't changed: Penny-wise and banner foolish. We haven't replaced his perimeter shooting, and only time will tell if Tony Allen's penchant for the catastrophic mistake will outweigh his defensive abilities. He certainly can't shoot from the outside like Posey.

And Posey can't drive like Allen. Shooting from the outside isn't the be all and end all of basketball for wing players.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And Posey can't drive like Allen. Shooting from the outside isn't the be all and end all of basketball for wing players.
Well, we agree that Tony Allen wasn't the answer as the replacement, CoachBo so, that's something.

BBallTim, you are right. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to say, but Allen will never replace Posey's leadership, man-hug pep talks, and clutch performances. In the playoff, teams tend to pack it in underneath and deny the drive, making teams beat them from the outside. Tony Allen's greatest asset offensively will be taken away from him. What then? Posey could hit the bomb and did it at clutch times. I will say though that Tony's mid range jumper is better than a lot of people give him credit for.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tony's greatest asset won't be taken from him unless he is playing with a group of stiff's, which the c's don't have.  He should always be able to get by his man, and he has been making pretty good decisions on what to do when the next line of defense steps in.  It's not like the other teams whole scheme is going to be based around stopping Tony's penetration.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'm not necessarily saying I wish we had signed Posey for what the Hornets signed him for. I agree with nick that we're better off with the cash a couple years down the road.

But it was just hard to watch #41 on a different team, do the same things he did for us last year. All the hustle, the disrupting on defense, the 3-pointers...you'd almost think that he should only do those things when he's playing for us. It's like that girl you've been hanging out with for a while and thinking she's into you, only to see her with other guy friends and realizing, 'oh, she's like that with everyone...'

But we'll go on. Like moiso said, opposing team's defenses aren't going to be falling over themselves trying to stop TA. Not if Paul or Ray is out there. Or maybe they will...maybe he will be that good.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Well, we agree that Tony Allen wasn't the answer as the replacement, CoachBo so, that's something.

BBallTim, you are right. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to say, but Allen will never replace Posey's leadership, man-hug pep talks, and clutch performances. In the playoff, teams tend to pack it in underneath and deny the drive, making teams beat them from the outside. Tony Allen's greatest asset offensively will be taken away from him. What then? Posey could hit the bomb and did it at clutch times. I will say though that Tony's mid range jumper is better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Posey's leadership is much less of an issue this year. He wouldn't be on a contending team that was 24 games the previous year, he'd be on a team that won a title last year. I can live without the man-hugs. During the season, 66% of our shots were jump shots. During the playoffs, 68% were jump shots so the difference is not that dramatic. And there were definitely times during the playoffs when Paul was on the bench or playing hurt that we really could have used another slasher.

It should also be noted that if, instead of finishing against the Lakers (Posey scored 9 a game and shot 50% from the field and 50% on 3s), we'd finished against Cleveland (5 ppg, 44% from the field and 35% on 3s) or Detroit (5.7ppg, 35% from the field and 31% on 3s) the conversations about Posey would have been different this offseason.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I think some of you have a case of the Walkers.

Walkers - Pining incessantly about a former player that you wish was still part of the Celtics.

:'(

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I'd rather have a hundred Posey threads than another trade thread including Scal.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
nothing will overtake the "bring back antoine" threads.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:24:54 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
greetings from Rocky Top for a new Celtics season. i've been a Celts fan since the '69 playoffs when as an 11-year old kid, i fell in love with the old champions, and watched them win one more championship before Bill Russell retired. thanks for having an ol' southern boy on the Celtics Blog site. it allows mw to keep up with the team from a distance. but i digress ............

i realize it's still early, but i'm wondering how Boston is feeling about the loss of James Posey now that we've had a chance to watch the pre-season and the first two games. i was strongly against letting Posey go and remain so at this time ........ for the simple reason that this team has the chance to win a couple of more banners NOW, and having James Posey in green helps the Celtics towards that end.

i still don't understand worrying about salary cap space three or four years from now when Garnett, Pierce and Allen are at the end of their careers anyway - just reminded me of the mistake Red made back in the 70's when he lost Paul Silas to free agency and Cowens & Co. didn't win another title. don't get me started ......

i just finished reading Bill Simmons espn column about the upcoming season, which got me upset about the whole situation all over again.  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081028.

so, what's the thinking at this point ? looks like Tony Allen will be better with more playing time and a healthier knee. but it seems to me that the rookies Walker and Giddens are going to have to contribute to this team to make up for Posey's absence.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce