Author Topic: Laker dynasty?  (Read 11645 times)

Re: Laker dynasty?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Actually Hondo's a pretty good example of a guy who successfully bridged two championship eras with the same franchise.

I guess we'll have to see what Kobe does.   He's never going to win another title, so it won't be an issue ;)
Yup

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I would say the Laker "dynasty" of the 80's was the team from '85-'88.  That group won 3 titles in 4 years.  I would call that a dynasty.  And it was largely the same group.  There were only 3 players on the '80 team that were also on the '88 team (Kareem, Magic and Cooper).  That group won 2 titles in 5 years.  That's great, but not a dynasty.

The Magic/Kareem "era" for titles was from 80-88, but I wouldn't call that whole period a dynasty.

And I wouldn't lump any championship the Lakers might win in the next few years with the dynasty at the beginning of the century.  It's a part of Kobe's "era", but not a Laker dynasty.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would say the Laker "dynasty" of the 80's was the team from '85-'88.  That group won 3 titles in 4 years.  I would call that a dynasty.  And it was largely the same group.  There were only 3 players on the '80 team that were also on the '88 team (Kareem, Magic and Cooper).  That group won 2 titles in 5 years.  That's great, but not a dynasty.

The Magic/Kareem "era" for titles was from 80-88, but I wouldn't call that whole period a dynasty.

And I wouldn't lump any championship the Lakers might win in the next few years with the dynasty at the beginning of the century.  It's a part of Kobe's "era", but not a Laker dynasty.
I would have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the 80's Lakers' dynasty. That Lakers team also had the same coach coaching it through that whole time and lost in the Finals two years in a row as well as having Worthy Rambis on it for 7 seasons and Worthy for six. That's a lot of continuity. All told, 7 Finals appearances in 9 years with 5 wins is a dynasty in its entirety. There's no breaking that up.

I can't say I completely disagree with a Laker win now extending an already existing dynasty because both Phil Jackson and Derek Fischer left and then returned so there's very little continuity on that team other than Kobe. But if reaching the Finals for two years in between is given credit for then, I'm not so sure you can't call the whole thing the Kobe Dynasty.

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I would have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the 80's Lakers' dynasty. That Lakers team also had the same coach coaching it through that whole time and lost in the Finals two years in a row as well as having Worthy Rambis on it for 7 seasons and Worthy for six. That's a lot of continuity. All told, 7 Finals appearances in 9 years with 5 wins is a dynasty in its entirety. There's no breaking that up.

I can't say I completely disagree with a Laker win now extending an already existing dynasty because both Phil Jackson and Derek Fischer left and then returned so there's very little continuity on that team other than Kobe. But if reaching the Finals for two years in between is given credit for then, I'm not so sure you can't call the whole thing the Kobe Dynasty.

I can see where you're coming from in terms of Magic's teams of the 80's.  I just always think of it more in terms of actual championships when talking "dynasty".  But I could see either way of looking at it when the same coach and same two stars were apart of that whole time period. But with Kobe's team, I just have a hard time accepting 3 years of mediocrity being included in a dynasty.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Missing the play-offs one year and then having consecutive first round losses means you can't count the whole era as a dynasty in my opinion.

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Nick, you raised a good question about the dynasties...

I normally apply the logic that if the "heart" of the team stays, the players around don't matter.  So for example I think you could count the entire Magic Johnson championship era (80-88) as a dynasty.  But this lakers group, if they were for the sake of argument win the next 3 years, would be a separate dynasty because Shaq was ultimately the anchor of the old dynasty, and Kobe would be the anchor of the new one.

Note - I only apply this to Basketball.  Other sports can be very different.

Re: Laker dynasty?????????
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
Lakers>>>>> Celtics in 09'

The Lakers looked unstoppable last night. It was insane.
What can you say now, what can you say now?
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

JR Giddens=Lakers fan. The things he says in here leave no doubt in my mind.

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The whole nation is about to get on the Lakers bandwagon...that is until the Celtics assert their unquestionable superiority.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:03 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.

JR Giddens=Lakers fan. The things he says in here leave no doubt in my mind.
Yeah I was hoping more people would pick up on that.  :D
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The Lakers are worthless and weak
Yup

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I would love it if come June 2010 we are gearing up to watch the "Two-Time Defending NBA Champion Boston Celtics" take on the "Two-Time Defending NBA Finals Losers LA Lakers".

Now that is the kind of dynasty I like! 
 8)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Posey will keep the Lakers from making to the Finals