Author Topic: Laker dynasty?  (Read 11644 times)

Re: Laker dynasty?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'm gonna be honest. They are as good as the Celtics this season. But no way they win 70 games. I don't think they can even win 60. I don't think they are that much better than the Celtics. I don't buy into the hype. They looked unstoppable last year, too, but we all saw how bad they got whooped in the finals.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Celtics exposed how to beat the Lakers in a seven game series last year and because of it San Antonio will probably take the Lakers out of the playoffs this year.

You have to rough up the guys underneath, expose the Euros for the horrible defenders that they are, and front and deny Kobe at all times. San Antonio has all the tools to do just that Bynum or no Bynum. If Yao Ming played like a physical beast Houston could do it too.

The key is exposing and going at Radmonovic and Vujacic. They give up easy baskets and foul after a while. They then have to sit and then LA has no one to space the floor because they haven't got any more dependable outside shooters but Kobe. So you can pack it down underneath, beat up the low post guys which absolutely gets into their heads(see Gasol and Odom in the Finals. Posey and Powe had Odom constantly trying to pick a fight and his head was not in the games.), deny Kobe the drive and force him to beat you outside by himself.

But if you have players that can deny and shadow Kobe(Pierce, Posey, Bowen, Artest) then LA is done. I'm an amateur and I saw this. What do you think Popovich, Adelman and Scott saw and what do you think they are going to do with that knowledge in a seven game series? The Lakers exposed that they can be physically handled. Play great defense and throw in a little old school Pistons Bad Boys attitude and the Lakers will fold.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:36:52 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not really anything to say except win one first. Unless they are a dynasty in the Buffalo Bills sense.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:01 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Really?  Bynum has proved himself time and again.  He has more headlines on espn.com than that bum Perkins will ever have.  What does he have to do to get your respect?  Write an autobiography?  Ride a unicycle?

And Pau Gasol... talk about an interior beast. Have you seen his beard?  His nose?  I'm not going anywhere near that.  He's 7 feet tall and spanish for heaven's sake. 

Jordan Farmar is probably the best young point guard in the league.  Move over Chris Paul, the next Jordan is here.  Not to mention Derek Fisher, lights out and I would say the most athletic player I have ever seen play any sport.  Have you seen Lamar Odom?  There might not be a more focused, intense player in the sport today.  And talk about clutch!

Oh, and they have this guy Kobe Bryant, maybe you've heard of him?  He once scored over 80 points in a game.  Bust out your calculators because multiply that by 80... the rest of the games this season.  Kobe is on a mission.  He is going to score more than Iverson and Lebron combined.  Mark my words, the only thing stopping him is himself.  He's too nice to release it on the league. 

And oh yeah, Phil Jackson.  Phil Jackson is like Hal from 2001 a Space Odyssey except he also dates the bosses daughter and isn't going to break down. 

You know what?  I'm going to go ahead and smash my TV right now, because I don't see any point in watching any of these games.  My prediction is the Lakers go 96-4 this year... perfect regular season, sweep the first three rounds of the playoffs,

and lose to the Cs in 4.  GET THIS CRAP OUTTA HERE!

Sorry everybody Stephen A Smith took over my computer I had to fight him to get it back I apoligize to you all.

Some days, the best answer to a kind of
silly (sorry JR) thread is the one above.

Other days, it's the one below.

Heck, it could even be like this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081856/

Or maybe just a plain old "NO".

Ah, the many possibilities of life...

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Not really anything to say except win one first. Unless they are a dynasty in the Buffalo Bills sense.

Yup.  Any talk about a Tampa Bay Rays dynasty this week?  They too are fresh off a championship loss, and have a great core.

Laakers dynasties are in the history books.  The Celtics refreshed their history.  Win one in LA in the post Shaq era, then we can start the conversation.

Big picture over the course of NBA history, the Lakers have a dynasty that has lasted generations.  The Celts had a little Rip Van Winkle action, but the one and only TRUE dynasty is back!
Yup

Re: Laker dynasty?????????
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Lakers>>>>> Celtics in 09'

The Lakers looked unstoppable last night. It was insane.

Wow.  Giddens is really bitter about not suiting up for the opener, huh?   8)

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I am one of those who think Bynum will be a stud, and an Ariza with an outside shot will be a big benefit.  But the fact is that Kobe isn't athletic enough anymore to get to the rim against a great defense like the Celtics.  He got to the rim only once that I can remember in the finals.  Odom and Gasol are talented chokers.  This team would be a lot more scary if it had the Kobe of 5 years ago.  He's still great, but he doesn't break down a defense like he used to be able to.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am one of those who think Bynum will be a stud, and an Ariza with an outside shot will be a big benefit.  But the fact is that Kobe isn't athletic enough anymore to get to the rim against a great defense like the Celtics.  He got to the rim only once that I can remember in the finals.  Odom and Gasol are talented chokers.  This team would be a lot more scary if it had the Kobe of 5 years ago.  He's still great, but he doesn't break down a defense like he used to be able to.

this is starting to become true
KB without athleticism is like
And it hurts to say
an Old MJ.
Tough for them to dominate without that unbeliabable way to drive
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

And it hurts to say
an Old MJ.

Kobe is only 30.  He may not be able to jump as high as he used to, but he's probably stronger than he's ever been.  Let's not get carried away.  Kobe is still in his prime.  If we're talking in terms of their chances for a dynasty (not sure why we would since they haven't won anything yet), then his age could play a factor.  But all I care about right now is this year.  And this year Kobe is still one of the top 2-3 players in the league.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
He's definitely still one of the top couple players, but he still can't get to the rim against a good defense.  The Kobe of a few years ago would have lived at the foul line in the finals.  Kobe had trouble even getting by the initial defender.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He's definitely still one of the top couple players, but he still can't get to the rim against a good defense.  The Kobe of a few years ago would have lived at the foul line in the finals.  Kobe had trouble even getting by the initial defender.

funny how that only happened in the finals agaisnt a all time defensive squad.

he lived at the line vs. the jazz and the spurs....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 10:52:51 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

And it hurts to say
an Old MJ.

Kobe is only 30.  He may not be able to jump as high as he used to, but he's probably stronger than he's ever been.  Let's not get carried away.  Kobe is still in his prime.  If we're talking in terms of their chances for a dynasty (not sure why we would since they haven't won anything yet), then his age could play a factor.  But all I care about right now is this year.  And this year Kobe is still one of the top 2-3 players in the league.

If we're talking in terms of their chances for a dynasty (not sure why we would since they haven't won anything yet)
this is why i say this exactly.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's a question though. The Magic Lakers Dynasty lasted from 1980-1988. If Kobe, who was a part of the Laker's dynasty that was from 200-2002, wins a championship this year, does that mean his Laker's dynasty spans from 2000-2009 and beyond?

I know there are 5 years in between and they got bad there for a while but, can it be looked at that way? The Lakers would have reached the Finals twice in those 5 years in between titles and it can be said that in those nine years between 2000-2009 Kobe had the Lakers in the Finals six times, if they win this year.

I'd have a hard time arguing against that a win this year isn't just a continuation of a dynasty.Though, because its Kobe and the Lakers, I would.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Here's a question though. The Magic Lakers Dynasty lasted from 1980-1988. If Kobe, who was a part of the Laker's dynasty that was from 200-2002, wins a championship this year, does that mean his Laker's dynasty spans from 2000-2009 and beyond?

I know there are 5 years in between and they got bad there for a while but, can it be looked at that way? The Lakers would have reached the Finals twice in those 5 years in between titles and it can be said that in those nine years between 2000-2009 Kobe had the Lakers in the Finals six times, if they win this year.

I'd have a hard time arguing against that a win this year isn't just a continuation of a dynasty.Though, because its Kobe and the Lakers, I would.

I'd say so too.

This just made think how cool it would have been if Hondo could have held on for a couple more years to play with Bird.
Yup

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I would say the Shaq/Kobe era is different than this era.