Author Topic: Laker dynasty?  (Read 11566 times)

Laker dynasty?
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
[dang] I watched both Laker games and their defense is much improved because of their intensity on the top of the key. This guy Ariza can also shoot now from beyond the arc. With Lamar Odom on the bench they have one of the deepest teams I've seen in a long time. Many Laker fans think this team will win 70+ games this season. Do you think they can possibly be better than the Celtics this season?

This team is scaring the crap out of me right now with all the Bynum+Ariza hype  :-[
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:58:24 PM by Edgar »

Re: Laker dynasty?????????
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
First of all, let's back off the use of the word "dynasty".  That infers multiple championships and this team hasn't even won one yet.

Also, the Lakers beat the Blazers and the Clippers, respectively.  Two teams that weren't exactly expected to be world beaters this year.  Most pundits would give them borderline playoff hopes at best.  Let's wait until we see how they fare against both the best of the West (Hornets, Spurs, Rockets) and the beasts of the East (Celtics, Cavaliers, Pistons).  Then, I think we can better gauge how far along this team is.

I'll be the first to admit that they have a good squad.  However, I'm hesistant to jump to any true conclusions after two wins.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Just as the Lakers improved defensively this season so far,so hasn't many other teams.The Rockets should be better with Artest too.The Hornets look good so far also but that doesn't tell a story for the season.There is a long ways to go before we can start getting nervous about Lakers or any other team.I guess first you have to beleive the Lakers are the King of the West,which i don't.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Odom is on the bench because he isn't that good any more.  Bynum, Gasol, and Kobe is definately a great three some, but Bynum isn't yet a beast and he has been injured, and neither Bynum or Gasol are beasts in the interior (both can be manhandled and pushed around).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Lakers>>>>> Celtics in 09'

The Lakers looked unstoppable last night. It was insane.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

against the vaunted baron davis and friends who will be lucky to win 30 games this year barring a trade?

im shaking boss, you see me shaking....

Celticsblog= where overreaction happens.

seriously, there going to be a very good, elite team, but who cares if they blew out the clippers?

i watched this game too, and wasen't suprised. i expected them to be good, since they went to the freaking finals last year, and had a gimmie team to play against for the night. and they were impressive, they looked like what i expected them to look like, one of the top western teams.

the only way this would have been more shocking to me if baron had figured out a way to beat them on thier home court (i know, clippers too, but no one in LA cares about the clippers in a lakers- clippers matchup.)

if we blow out the bulls, can you do me a favor and not make this post about us?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Once again, they beat the Clippers.  We beat the Knicks by almost 50 points in a game last season.  Games like that happen.  Makes teams look invincible.  

After two games, you're willing to say that the Lakers are far superior to the Celtics?  A team that won 66 games last year, is returning all five starters, whose only significant losses were Posey and (to a lesser extent) P.J. Brown, and defeated the Lakers in the postseason last year (albiet minus Bynum)????

Personally, I think you're making waaaay too much out of this short sample.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Once again, they beat the Clippers.  We beat the Knicks by almost 50 points in a game last season.  Games like that happen.  Makes teams look invincible. 

After two games, you're willing to say that the Lakers are far superior to the Celtics?  A team that won 66 games last year, is returning all five starters, whose only significant losses were Posey and (to a lesser extent) P.J. Brown, and defeated the Lakers in the postseason last year (albiet minus Bynum)????

Personally, I think you're making waaaay too much out of this short sample.

seriosuly. TP4U. we beat the  far superior to the clippers cavs on a night where emotion and rust combined to make 4 of our best shooters a combined 9-41. that to me is waaayyy more impressive than blowing out the clippers at home.

and again, lakers= elite western team in my eyes. just not sure a near orgasm is warranted over a thrashing of the clippers.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:23:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't see a team in the West winning 70.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I don't see a team in the West winning 70.

I don't see a team in the NBA winning 70.

As for this Lakers hype, get off the bus, they've done nothing, Bynum's done nothing, Trevor Ariza is not that good and Lamar Odom off the bench isn't exactly a huge bonus as he's just a glorified role player anyway.

That said, I expect the Lakers to win the West.

Re: Laker dynasty?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
First of all
Please dot use more than one exclamation point its unnecesary

second  of all

Call me after Lakers defeat New Orleans, dallas and San Antonio visiting.
4 years in a row.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:14:06 PM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 07:12:51 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
And how unstoppable did the C's look last year to start the season? They still managed to go 7 games against the Hawks. Gasol's still too weak, and a flake, and he'll still be banged up like he is every year. Bynum is still an injury concern. Ariza still can't keep his butt on the floor. Revisit this in the New Year, if we assessed this sorta stuff now I'd be concerned about the Bobcats

"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 07:59:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I thought by now the Boston fans would have learned to ignore the LA hype machine. 

Bynum to be a top 10 C of all time.

No one has more desire to win then Kobe.

LA will win more the 70 games this year.

they go right along with great

Boston is going to lose to LA in the Finals.  LA has to much offensive fire power now.  (Boston wins in 6 games)

And it goes into other sports

The Dodger were to good for the Phillies.

Every expansion team is going to end up in LA. 

Don't buy the hype.  Let see how they do when they run into a physical defense that exposes their flaws.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Really?  Bynum has proved himself time and again.  He has more headlines on espn.com than that bum Perkins will ever have.  What does he have to do to get your respect?  Write an autobiography?  Ride a unicycle?

And Pau Gasol... talk about an interior beast. Have you seen his beard?  His nose?  I'm not going anywhere near that.  He's 7 feet tall and spanish for heaven's sake. 

Jordan Farmar is probably the best young point guard in the league.  Move over Chris Paul, the next Jordan is here.  Not to mention Derek Fisher, lights out and I would say the most athletic player I have ever seen play any sport.  Have you seen Lamar Odom?  There might not be a more focused, intense player in the sport today.  And talk about clutch!

Oh, and they have this guy Kobe Bryant, maybe you've heard of him?  He once scored over 80 points in a game.  Bust out your calculators because multiply that by 80... the rest of the games this season.  Kobe is on a mission.  He is going to score more than Iverson and Lebron combined.  Mark my words, the only thing stopping him is himself.  He's too nice to release it on the league. 

And oh yeah, Phil Jackson.  Phil Jackson is like Hal from 2001 a Space Odyssey except he also dates the bosses daughter and isn't going to break down. 

You know what?  I'm going to go ahead and smash my TV right now, because I don't see any point in watching any of these games.  My prediction is the Lakers go 96-4 this year... perfect regular season, sweep the first three rounds of the playoffs,

and lose to the Cs in 4.  GET THIS CRAP OUTTA HERE!

Sorry everybody Stephen A Smith took over my computer I had to fight him to get it back I apoligize to you all.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108