Author Topic: Bynum Signs Extension  (Read 2332 times)

Bynum Signs Extension
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Lakers just signed him to an extension:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers31-2008oct31,0,6564933.story

4 years (the 4th being a team option), $58 millions. Good deal for both parts, I think.

Split this off to its own topic.  Figured peeps would find this easier and it would lessen the possibility of repeat posts on it.
-Dons
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:23:40 PM by Donoghus »

Re: Bynum Signs Extension
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
seems reasonable. not near the ridiculous 18 million he wanted at one point, and not so low that he has to look foolish. 14.5 seems about right

Think the lakers still overpayed by about 2 million for a kid who hasen't proven to be consistent yet, but given his undeniable potential and lack of good C's in the league, they had to lock him up.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Obviously a bit of a gamble.  But I think its one the Lakers had to take. 

The lack of quality C's in the league right now make this almost a no-brainer.  However, they do run the risk that he doesn't pan out.  The team option in the fourth year would alleviate this situation a bit, though. 

Its being based on potential which can be a scary thing sometimes.  However, if he does pan out, its one less headache to worry about in the near future for the organization.  Heck, it could be bargain down the road.  Who knows?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Good news. Hopefully, the big payday will make him lazy.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Good deal for both club and player.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm not sold on this guy..
I think he's ok.. i just don't see him ever being one of the best centers in the league..

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Pretty massive risk by the Lakers. Bynum is getting set to meet his first real dose of massive expectations. He got that kind of dough for what amounts to 20 games of decent production last year. Wow, I wish I could have a good month at work and get that kind of pay raise. Of course, 12 and 9 isn't going to justify 14 mill a year. Expectations will be even greater for A-Bomb now. Is he at a point where they don't crush him? Laker fans already count on him to deliver more rings, what if he doesn't perform up to expectations? Interesting story developing..

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Good for Bynum, seems like a nice guy. I'm just glad the 17/18 mil figure didn't rear it's head again or I would have gone nuts.