Author Topic: Andrew Bynum last night.  (Read 14984 times)

Re: Andrew Bynum last night.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Andrew Bynum excited to have become a superstar while he was injured

Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum may not have played since January, but in that time he has become one of the top players in the NBA.
“I have been excited to hear how good we’re going to be this year with me coming back from injury,” said Bynum. “This time last year I had a lot of critics. But then I went out and averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds for two months, got hurt and became a superstar. Now I’m going to team up with Kobe Bryant to win us the NBA title.”

That is if Bynum plays the entire season.

“Based on what last year did for my reputation,” said Bynum, “I think if I average 15 points and 12 rebounds in the first month of the season, I can just retire and wait to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.”

www.sportspickle.com

I agree with Roy though, his talent is pretty much undeniable.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Andrew Bynum excited to have become a superstar while he was injured

Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum may not have played since January, but in that time he has become one of the top players in the NBA.
“I have been excited to hear how good we’re going to be this year with me coming back from injury,” said Bynum. “This time last year I had a lot of critics. But then I went out and averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds for two months, got hurt and became a superstar. Now I’m going to team up with Kobe Bryant to win us the NBA title.”

That is if Bynum plays the entire season.

“Based on what last year did for my reputation,” said Bynum, “I think if I average 15 points and 12 rebounds in the first month of the season, I can just retire and wait to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.”

www.sportspickle.com

I agree with Roy though, his talent is pretty much undeniable.

no doubt. also undeniable is the lack of a body of work.

I'm not saying he won't be good, in fact i think he'll be very good. but the non-stop hype machince this article is paraodying is annoying.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think he's talented but overhyped at this point. 13 and 10 is nice but that's borderline all-star not a superstar. I think he'll be quite good but he's not there yet.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
From watching Bynum in preseason and last night  he has come a long way.He has strengthen the Lakers in the post,somewhere they were considered  soft last season and needed another BIG to compliment Gasol. So far Bynum seem to (chemistry)blend in well with the Lakers .I see Bynum being a big plus this season if he can stay healthy and continue to improve.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Agree with Coach Hobbs.  LA got a steal drafting Bynum when they did.  He'll probably be well worth the risk to somebody.

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Oh Bynum definately has talent, he just isn't anywhere near far along in his development to be the difference in getting blown out in the Finals to winning it all. First, the guy has a limited post game. He can catch lobs, that's it. Those simply aren't available in the playoffs. In his absence, he was basically upgraded to a Shaq circa 2000 clone, ready to dominate the NBA. It's become nauseating. Do we have to have one more media piece about the "dominant" Bynum coming back to annihilate the league? Can we at least see a drop step first? Or not getting owned by Perk? So he can beat up on the Clippers, let's see some more substantial skill...

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Bynum is very important for the Lakers not because of his contribution de per si, but because it allows them to play Gasol at the 4 (where he is a much more effective player) and Odom as the 6th man, strengthening an already deep bench. Jackson will be able to keep throwing different rotations, creating mismatches that favour him.

If he was merely replacing Gasol as the starting C, and Pau was playing somewhere else, it wouldn't be a big thing, they'd probably be a weaker team than last season. But that's not the case.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:30:51 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think he's talented but overhyped at this point. 13 and 10 is nice but that's borderline all-star not a superstar. I think he'll be quite good but he's not there yet.

It's an inferior Andrew Bogut.  ;)

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Borderline all star center at age 21? That's pretty good.

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Borderline all star center at age 21? That's pretty good.

yep, but its not "slob all over him as the next shaq" good, which is wear ESPN has him at.

Again, not saying he won't be a very good to great player, but to say they would have "beaten the celtics in 5" as two ESPN commentators agreed last night if he was playing is retarded.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 By Bynum joining the 1st team on the Lakers it now has place L. Odom on the second unit.With Odom coming off the bench makes their second unit a lot deeper/stronger to deal with for most teams.If they can bring Bynum(bar injuries) up to where they need him to be by playoff time the Lakers will be difficult for most western conference teams to deal with.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If last night is any indicator... Bynum is going to be perfectly fine...

12 points 9 rebounds, 3 blocks 1 steal in 25 minutes?  Lakers will take that...  38 point blowout over the Clippers?... they'll take that too.

I wasn't that impressed with him in the first game either, but he did have 3 blocks.  And you gotta figure he's still working himself back from injury and is rusty.   Prior to his injury the kid looked absolutely dominant.  He was getting like 18 points, 12 rebounds and 2 blocks in 30 minutes... and shooting over 70% ...  Not bad for a 20 year old.

There's a reason why everyone is claiming the Lakers will dominate this year.  And there is a reason why they their first two games were a 20 point blowout and 38 point blowout...  and if things continue like this I think it might be reasonable to be a little afraid of the Lakers.

Seriously Bynum has a chance to be one of the best centers in the league.  I hope he turns into a bust as much as the next guy, but... I doubt it.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Someone please explain to me how Bynum is being considered close to All-Star level already with his numbers that he sustained for all of ...what...20-25 games last year when Al Jefferson, who is only two years older than Bynum, has averaged 16/11 and 21/11 while playing 140 games over the last two years and hasn't even gotten close to an All-Star game? And very little mention as coming close to an All-Star game?

Al Horford was 10/10 while playing in over double the games that Bynum played in last year and was a beast in playoff ball and I hear very little chatter about All-Star game level play for him. Emeka Okafor has been a double double machine for 4 years and I don't hear too much chatter about All-Star level play about him. Andris Biedrins has been a double double guy for two years, where is his hype?

All these guys are pretty young as well and yet the national media barely mention them much less anoint them to All-Star level and they have resumes that to this point far, far exceed that of Bynum. The point is that yes, Bynum has a raft of talent, but hasn't proven that he can sustain it for anything more than a high school length season.

I think the national media need to step back and come to reality with this guy and let him prove his hype and let him earn his stature before handing him over as the main reason for the Lakers to become the next 73 win team with a 16-0 run through the playoffs to greatness. Am I exaggerating the amount of hype this team gets, [dang] straight I am but no more so than the media exaggerates Bynum's abilities when there are some much more deserving players out there that deserve the press than does Bynum.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Someone please explain to me how Bynum is being considered close to All-Star level already with his numbers that he sustained for all of ...what...20-25 games

Ahem, perhaps you haven't noticed the color uniform he wears.

And we saw how much his team missed him when he was gone ;D
Yup

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 01:54:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Someone please explain to me how Bynum is being considered close to All-Star level already with his numbers that he sustained for all of ...what...20-25 games last year when Al Jefferson, who is only two years older than Bynum, has averaged 16/11 and 21/11 while playing 140 games over the last two years and hasn't even gotten close to an All-Star game? And very little mention as coming close to an All-Star game?

Al Horford was 10/10 while playing in over double the games that Bynum played in last year and was a beast in playoff ball and I hear very little chatter about All-Star game level play for him. Emeka Okafor has been a double double machine for 4 years and I don't hear too much chatter about All-Star level play about him. Andris Biedrins has been a double double guy for two years, where is his hype?

All these guys are pretty young as well and yet the national media barely mention them much less anoint them to All-Star level and they have resumes that to this point far, far exceed that of Bynum. The point is that yes, Bynum has a raft of talent, but hasn't proven that he can sustain it for anything more than a high school length season.

I think the national media need to step back and come to reality with this guy and let him prove his hype and let him earn his stature before handing him over as the main reason for the Lakers to become the next 73 win team with a 16-0 run through the playoffs to greatness. Am I exaggerating the amount of hype this team gets, [dang] straight I am but no more so than the media exaggerates Bynum's abilities when there are some much more deserving players out there that deserve the press than does Bynum.

Nick i'll try my best to explain.   Bynum inpacts the game on offense and defense.  He's got rare gifts, is quick, big and nasty.  He started off last season slow, but by the time the Lakers started rolling he was putting up like 18 points, 12 rebounds 2 blocks and 70% shooting pretty consistently.  His play was enough for Kobe to go "n/m on the trade request... I'm good..."  

I for one will not be one of the foolish Celtic fans who will be downing tons of crow in a few months when this kid has helped the Lakers look completely dominant.   Everyone ease off on your "Bynum stanks" comments... he clearly doesn't.  Just hope somehow Perk can contain him, because that team has the potential be scary good this year.  Scary good.