Author Topic: Get the ball to Ray Allen and let him run the offense (with the bench)  (Read 13207 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
At the start of the 2nd, Ray was out there with the bench.  Why didn't they put the ball in his hand? 

Having Powe post up Wally is good. 

But putting the ball in House and TA's hands to create, not so good. 

This should be the Ray show with the the other guys playing off him.  It sounds like the Celtics bench wants them to play that way, but it did not happen. 

Why? 

Is Ray reluctant since he usually plays off Pierce and KG? 

Good denial defense?

TA and House has issues getting him the ball?

Re: Get the ball to Ray Allen and let him run the offense (with the bench)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It could be that the playbook is set up so that plays are run for Ray exclusively through the 2 slot and the team needs him there for him to get his points.

It appeared Doc was on **** every time Wally was on the floor, however, because when he was, the offensive playbook was thrown out the window by Doc and Wally's guy got the ball. Not the smartest move considering the guys on the floor and where his strength's were at the time.

Ray needs to be singled out on offense just like Paul is whenever he is alone out there with the second group. He's a good enough facilitator to involve the other guys when he doesn't have it but I want one of the greatest shooters in NBA history shooting when with the second unit not Baby taking 18 footers and Tony taking wild, off balance drives to the basket.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
It could be that the playbook is set up so that plays are run for Ray exclusively through the 2 slot and the team needs him there for him to get his points.

It appeared Doc was on **** every time Wally was on the floor, however, because when he was, the offensive playbook was thrown out the window by Doc and Wally's guy got the ball. Not the smartest move considering the guys on the floor and where his strength's were at the time.

Ray needs to be singled out on offense just like Paul is whenever he is alone out there with the second group. He's a good enough facilitator to involve the other guys when he doesn't have it but I want one of the greatest shooters in NBA history shooting when with the second unit not Baby taking 18 footers and Tony taking wild, off balance drives to the basket.

I agree with going after Wally if he is trying to cover Powe, Davis, KG and even Perkins. 

But not TA when Ray is out there.  It is not like Ray was being guarded by a great defender. 

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I just gave you a TP for something else, but I fully agree with your post. Ray can run the offense, and if he's out there with the bench players, he's the most capable player at doing that.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I didn't like the lack of involvement/shots Ray had while playing with that unit. It's a great opportunity to get Ray going offensively each night, they should make more of it.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Like just about everyone not named Pierce, Ray's shot was off last night. He wasn't making his early open looks and was swatted the one time I recall him taking it to the rim. It looks like we were playing him the same way we did early last season, using him as a spot up shooter.

I think Ray needs the ball in his hands a little more, and not just running around the perimeter. He needs to try and get into the middle or get those midrange jumpers going before he starts launching the deep balls.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
While I agree with everything that gives Ray Allen more shots, it could be because Ray Allen is probably the best off-the-ball player in the league.
Additonally, considering that it´s the first game of the season, maybe they wanted to see what Tony and Eddie are capable of at backup PG, and who´s the better option if Pruitt doesn´t pan out.

Tbh, I can think of a lot of reasons for this, but with only one game into the season, I can´t see a trend, so all I could do is guess.  :-\
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think more and more Ray is going to become a spot up shooter on the team, there will be lots of screen and rolls for him, but as far as him with the ball at the top of the key creating his shot, probably not (unless Sashsa Vujacic is standing in front of him, and then 10 feet behind him). TA is a slasher, and as unorthodox and ugly as it is at times, he can create his own shot better than Ray. I do think Ray definitely should see more of the ball when he is the only member of the big three out there, but it was just one game, and the Cavs play Ray Ray well, so maybe Doc was trying to throw something out of the ordinary at them. Hey, it worked.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
It looked as if TA was playing one on five game for awhile...almost like a pickup style of play(when i get the rebound i get to shoot the ball).

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It looked as if TA was playing one on five game for awhile...almost like a pickup style of play(when i get the rebound i get to shoot the ball).

That's Tony Allen for ya.  He's the same guy he was his rookie year, just with less athleticism.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

That's Tony Allen for ya.  He's the same guy he was his rookie year, just with less athleticism.

yea but at least now he attacks the basket with a will. I can see tony's use if he does that combined with his defense.

last year we got a tentitive TA, he's of no use to me then.

if he's playing his good defense and getting himself to the line, then he's helping us out.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

yea but at least now he attacks the basket with a will. I can see tony's use if he does that combined with his defense.

last year we got a tentitive TA, he's of no use to me then.

if he's playing his good defense and getting himself to the line, then he's helping us out.
The problem is his lack of confidence and the ability to put poor shooting nights behind him and still play good defense. Last night's first half was a prime example. Go back(if you can) and watch a replay of his first half.

His shot wasn't falling and he was all over the place on offense and what happened on the defensive end? He was a non-factor almost to the point of being counterproductive. West and Gibson were constantly losing him off picks, juking past him, getting better rebounding position, just torching him sometimes. Doc was forced to play Ray Allen the whole first half as a result of Tony being so bad.

But he hit that first off balance drive and got the foul in the second half and suddenly he wasn't doing such a bad job on LeBron James defensively. Not out of this world but he definitely held his own considering LeBron's obvious advantages.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I think they'll probably stay with House and TA since this was the first game of the year and you don't make changes after one game.  Allen needs to get his rest.

House didn't very well last night but, he's more than adequate.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think they'll probably stay with House and TA since this was the first game of the year and you don't make changes after one game.  Allen needs to get his rest.

House didn't very well last night but, he's more than adequate.

yea but no "shooter" outside of paul really did wll last night, i chalk it up to first night emotions from the pregame if anything.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
While I agree with everything that gives Ray Allen more shots, it could be because Ray Allen is probably the best off-the-ball player in the league.
Additonally, considering that it´s the first game of the season, maybe they wanted to see what Tony and Eddie are capable of at backup PG, and who´s the better option if Pruitt doesn´t pan out.

Tbh, I can think of a lot of reasons for this, but with only one game into the season, I can´t see a trend, so all I could do is guess.  :-\

Is he?  He didn't play off the ball until last year.  He was the main focus on offense for most his career. 

And, unfortunately, this isn't a one game happening.  We were having the same discussions last year.