Author Topic: Walker's court time vanishes with Griz  (Read 10385 times)

Walker's court time vanishes with Griz
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:36:34 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Poor Antoine....  :-\

Veteran told he won't displace young players
By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Sunday, October 26, 2008

Antoine Walker used to be known for his shimmy shakes -- a celebration with his shoulders after making big shots.

Now, the 32-year-old veteran forward walks to the scorer's table just as the game is about to tip off. He greets the Grizzlies' starters, hugging one or two, giving handshakes to others and encouraging them all as they take the court.

Then Walker takes a seat, never takes off his warm-up suit and tries to contribute more goodwill from the bench.

That, in a nutshell, will be his role with the Grizzlies.

Walker has been told that he won't play, a decision designed by circumstance more than anything. The Griz are on a full-blown youth movement and the only position where Walker can still be mildly effective is power forward.

However, it's the same spot on the floor the Griz want to give ample time to Darko Milicic, Hakim Warrick and rookie Darrell Arthur for their development.

"He understands," Griz coach Marc Iavaroni said, revealing that he has communicated with Walker about this issue throughout training camp.

Walker, entering his 13th season, still is disappointed.

"I would have liked the opportunity to play but I understand the state that they're in. They want to play the young guys," Walker said. "I still feel like I've got a lot of basketball left in me and I can contribute to a team in the NBA. It's unfortunate that it's not working out here. But you have to respect the decision. This team has some good young talent."

The Griz have no plans to waive Walker, whose $9.32 million salary comes off their books following this season. There have been no buyout discussions, either.

"I'm not interested in giving any money back," Walker said. "If there's a good fit out there that I can find, I guess I would consider that. But it doesn't make sense to give money back."

Griz general manager Chris Wallace, who also worked with Walker in Boston, described this as a "tough situation for a veteran with the status Walker's had" throughout his career.

Walker was a key member of the Miami Heat's 2006 championship team. He's a three-time All-Star who ranks fourth among active players in 3-pointers. He's also second in attempts.

"Hopefully, something happens where I can be in position to play basketball," Walker said. "There are a lot of teams out here that I can help. I still believe I have a lot to offer to the game. I'm just going to keep working and stay positive. It's October. It's early. I want to stay optimistic that things will work out for me. If I don't get on the court, there's no way I can redeem myself."

Walker was traded to a similar situation last season when Miami shipped him to a rebuilding Minnesota squad. There, Walker appeared in 46 games. He was shooting 36percent overall and 32percent from 3-point range before Minnesota pulled the plug on his season.

His inability to finish at the rim and connect on 3-pointers was an early concern for the Griz, who auditioned the 6-9 Walker in the first two preseason games. He missed 8-of-10 shots, including all three 3-point attempts. Team officials believe Walker could have arrived in better shape.

"We expect Antoine to work hard and be a pro," Wallace said. "He's a good person. He's very generous with people around him. He's always looking out for the little guy in the organization."

Walker insisted that won't change, that he'll continue to root for his teammates as long as he's in Memphis.

"When you become teammates with guys you want the best for them," Walker said. "You get closer and closer, and you become friends.

And yet, "I still want to play basketball. I'm 32 years old and far from being done. I'm not trying to get ran out of the league because the last two teams I've been on haven't needed a veteran."

Arthur, the 6-9 athletic forward out of Kansas, would have his growth stunted the most if Walker were to receive playing time.

Still, Walker refuted a perception that he could become a problem in the locker room the longer he sits.

"This league is fickle. All it takes is one negative quote or comment," Walker said. "I try to be the best teammate I can be. I try to stay out of trouble. I try to play the game the right way. I'm a fan of the game. I love the game. That's still burning inside of me."

"If I'm not going to play there's nothing I can do. I can't force anybody to play me. That's the situation right now. And I respect the decision that the team has made."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/26/walkers-court-time-vanishes-with-griz/

This has got to be killing him right now.   He gets traded from a team going through a youth movement(Minny) to another team going through a youth movement(Memphis). 

Re: Walker's court time vanishes with Griz
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
part of walkers problem is how much money he's making, he can't be on a good team becuase pay rolls don't allow you to pay 9 mil for an aging bench player.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »

Online Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The other part is his 39% shooting percentage.  Not to mention that he can't make a layup.  Walker could still play anywhere if he played like he did the first 10 games after the trade from Atlanta.  He was almost Posey-like where he was all about wins and the team.

It's sad to see his career wind down like this.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Of course you know...this can only mean one thing

TWOIN's coming back to the Celtics!  ::)
Yup

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Of course you know...this can only mean one thing

TWOIN's coming back to the Celtics!  ::)

LOL.  I know, right. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
He's really just not that good of a player.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In Fox Sports season preview there was this little tidbit about Antoine Walker in the Best of and Worst of column:

Worst defensive player: Antoine Walker, Memphis Grizzlies

OK, I'll admit that Walker has fallen so far off the face of the league that frankly it was hard to recall where he had landed. But he has earned this moniker by playing little or no defense in his 12-year career, and there's no reason to believe this season will be any different. Considering his natural talent and underachievement, his career is indefensible.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8718070/Handing-out-the-best-and-worst-awards-for-08-09

Of course there is also this about Antoine being one of the worse players in the league:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-16/Worst-Player-in-the-League.html

And that is just one blogger's opinion but a quick Google of Antoine's name and worst player will pull up hundreds ofsimilar opinions from  different blog sites from all sorts of different NBA teams that all preach Antoine as being one of the current worst players in the league.

It's probably undeserved as there are many much less talented players in the league right now than Antoine but considering his age and contract and current level of fitness and player and the tremendous unfulfilled potential he had given his unbelievable original amount of talent, is it any wonder he is so universally considered to be a really bad player right now?

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I disagree that Antoine has *never* played defense.  He really committed himself to D during Miami's title run, and he showed stretches of good D here.

At this point, sure, he's a terrible defender...  but the worst in the league?  Worse than Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry?  I don't believe that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I disagree that Antoine has *never* played defense.  He really committed himself to D during Miami's title run, and he showed stretches of good D here.

At this point, sure, he's a terrible defender...  but the worst in the league?  Worse than Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry?  I don't believe that.

or starbury, face it the knicks.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Walker is almost at the point of Scal...where the fans are waiting to cheer and go nuts when Scal makes a shot....only for Walker, they just want to see him make a shimmy.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
All I know is this :

Walker is STUCK.    The only way Toine even gets a chance of playing is when his big contract expires and he becomes a Free Agent.   Only THEN will a Borderline-Fringe-Playoff team would take a chance in signing him to the Vet minimum.....

Until then, he'll have the best seat in the House of WAtching a Basketball game....

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Walker is almost at the point of Scal...where the fans are waiting to cheer and go nuts when Scal makes a shot....only for Walker, they just want to see him make a shimmy.

You can't compare a guy with a career like Scal's to a 3 time all star. He had a great career in Boston, then got a ring in Miami and now is struggling to fit in a team due to both his contract and the rebuilding teams he's been to.

He is on the downside of his career but he's still more valuable than Scal

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You can't compare a guy with a career like Scal's to a 3 time all star. He had a great career in Boston, then got a ring in Miami and now is struggling to fit in a team due to both his contract and the rebuilding teams he's been to.

He is on the downside of his career but he's still more valuable than Scal
First off, forgive me because I am only arguing semantics. Scal will be more valuable to the Celtics than Walker will be to the Grizzlies because he's probably more likely to see playing time and hence guive his team a contribution. Walker might end up being more valuable because of his contract though and not because of his play. The Grizzlies may either trade him at the deadline for picks and flotsam or let him expire to get some very nice cap relief. That's valuable.

But Walker is still a better player than Scal right now but maybe not by a whole lot. Toine can definitely score more but he could probably just as easily give up more points.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

wait wait wait, we know walker is a shell of his former self, but Scal never even had a former self to be a shell of
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:42:41 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford

wait wait wait, we know walker is a shell of his former self, but Scal never even had a former self to be a shell of

+1   ;D