Author Topic: Why does everyone assume Chris Paul has peaked??  (Read 2249 times)

Why does everyone assume Chris Paul has peaked??
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I've read something along the lines of the following numerous times, from numerous sources: "Chris Paul can't match his performance last season".

I ask, why??

I know he put up one of the most remarkable seasons in point guard history last year, but why does everyone just assume he can't get better?  There is always room for improvement.  Paul can continue working on his jump shot and range (37% from 3 last year), he only scored 21.1 points per game which certainly has some upside potential even though he's dishing over 11 assists a game, and he is a point guard, so he will continually be learning more and becoming more efficient at running his team.

He can get better.  Yes, it's hard to improve on what he did last season, but it is not impossible. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Why does everyone assume Chris Paul has peaked??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think people believe he can't approach his numbers form last year due to the fact that the Hornets were luckily a very healthy team last year.  People are assuming the health of their better players will go down and it will be more difficult for CP to get his assist numbers.

They're just speculating, but great players will get their numbers either way.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I kind of agree with the "peaked" idea. I just don't see where he can really continue to improve his game, atleast not from the statistical sense. I don't see him ever being a 25+ pppg type point guard. In my opinion, his numbers won't get that much better, but they will probably stay where they were or around that area for a long time if he's healthy.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I kind of agree with the "peaked" idea. I just don't see where he can really continue to improve his game, atleast not from the statistical sense. I don't see him ever being a 25+ pppg type point guard. In my opinion, his numbers won't get that much better, but they will probably stay where they were or around that area for a long time if he's healthy.

three point shooting, as ticket alluded to, would be a good start. he's adaquate at best.

on the ball defense he could really work on, he's a good tip guy, but he struggles to stay in front of quicker guys.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Statswise, you are probably right.  It is tough for him to improve that much more on the actual stats.  But in his actual play, he can certainly improve.  He can still continue to become more consistent, more efficient, and a better defender.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

three point shooting, as ticket alluded to, would be a good start. he's adaquate at best.

on the ball defense he could really work on, he's a good tip guy, but he struggles to stay in front of quicker guys.

I agree with the defense, but I can't see him getting too much better. Size will always be against him and he's not very long or overly athletic. As for the 3 point shooting I just don't see him getting better. To be honest i'm shocked to see he averaged 37% from behind the arc last season, I think it was a fluke.