Author Topic: NBA Expanding Replay Usage  (Read 2223 times)

NBA Expanding Replay Usage
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Referees will be allowed to review video to determine if a field goal was a 2- or 3-point attempt, or to decide if a shooting foul was committed behind the arc and warrants three shots instead of two.

I don't like it.  I understand the trend in sports is to get the call right, but I can foresee this one being over used and disrupting the flow of the game.  Compare an NBA game to a high school game with no commercials.  It's an entirely different game (talent aside).  With all the whistles, and breaks already, I just really hope this new replay scenario doesn't happen multiple times during every game, and make it even choppier. 

Where do they draw the line on what is reviewable?  Can a coach protest?  Is it something that can be reviewed neutrally on the fly and the score would be adjusted, if necessary, after a determination is made? 

And one more thing - why didn't they use the preseason to practice this? Or did they and I missed it?

There was another rule passed today as well

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gqXlIdrggKvEy-mujUQ9TLFGlHzQD940D28O0
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:00:11 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: NBA Expanding Replay Usage
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I agree.

Hopefully theyll only use it in critical situations if theyre going to disrupt the game.

Maybe they can do a booth type deal like the NFL, a booth can review it upstairs and if it was actually a 2 and not a three they can just take the point away without stopping play.

As far as reviewing the foul call and whether it was behind the 3 point line or not.  I'm all for it.  They already blew the whistle to call the foul, a few extra seconds to review it and get it right while play is already stopped is fine with me.
Greg

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
It isn't going to disrupt anything.  They will only review ones where there is a question.  The vast majority of 3's are clear, as are fouls from behind the line.  They can easily wait for a break in the action to look at a questionable field goal and either add or subtract the point.  Unlike football, there are many natural breaks in basketball, like timeouts, where there is already a stoppage in play.  Think about it, how many times last year can you remember where you thought a 3 was really a 2 or vice versa or a you thought a foul was committed behind the line or not?

This sounds similar to the protests about baseball using replay for boundary calls, it will slow down the game, etc.  But how often do those plays even happen?  Has it happened once in the postseason?  Since basketball games can come down to a single point many times, in the rare instances this will come into play, it makes sense to get it right.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:51:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If a review is going to be done, they'll do it during time outs. I don't forsee it disrupting the flow at all. It's quite easy to see if someone stepped on the line or not.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If a review is going to be done, they'll do it during time outs. I don't forsee it disrupting the flow at all. It's quite easy to see if someone stepped on the line or not.

If this is the case I'd have less of an issue with it.  I don't mind the replay in football, but I feel like a similar review process would absolutely suck in basketball.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If they review the messiah's calls, Cavalier games will last longer than a Europeon rules football game.  The officials, when reviewing the messiah's no-dribble drives to the basket from half-court, would have to reference the Messiah NBA Rulebook, authored by David Stern for clarification.