Author Topic: Donny sucks. Help me Celtics fans.  (Read 9022 times)

Re: Donny sucks. Help me Celtics fans.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I agree that the letter was pretty harsh, but I can't see Donny as a permanent replacement for Tommy.  I keep trying to tell myself that it will just take time for Mike and Donny to mesh, but I just don't see it happening.

Mike is the ideal color guy, I agree that he is one of the best in the league. The problem with the current commentary team is that it almost like a comedy duo. You can't have two straight men, then where does the entertainment come from?  That's why Tommy has been so great.  The raving homerism is a perfect foil to the color commentary of Mike.  Donny just doesn't provide the excitement.

I also think that the permanent replacement needs to be an ex-Celtic, but no one really comes to mind.  Tommy truly bleeds green and that's what we need.  Any ideas?

(I saw mention of Dee Brown, but I don't know about him.  Remember that next ESPN reporter show a few years back?  Dee really didn't impress me, even though he went pretty far on the show.)

he imprssed ESPN enough to still be employeed by them, which i think would be the big handicapp to comcast getting him.

(note: although i haven't yet seen an NBA show on the network this year, so i don't know his up to date status, he may have got canned over the summer.)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:59 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
They got the wrong Donny, I guess the other ones too busy with the tour.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Donny Marshall sucks too.  Oh he's on for 15 minutes maybe but for 2-3 hrs - my God he's more vanilla than vanilla.  BORING.

I also wrote a letter to the C's and to Comcast.  C's did not respond.  Comcast responded with that BS form letter.

There's nothing we can do except just quit watching the games.  That's the only way they listen.  Now if I just figure out how to stop watching the games and still see the C's.  I only live 1500 miles away.

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 10:07:40 PM »

Offline The Incredible Hulk

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think Donny Marshall sucks too.  Oh he's on for 15 minutes maybe but for 2-3 hrs - my God he's more vanilla than vanilla.  BORING.

I also wrote a letter to the C's and to Comcast.  C's did not respond.  Comcast responded with that BS form letter.

There's nothing we can do except just quit watching the games.  That's the only way they listen.  Now if I just figure out how to stop watching the games and still see the C's.  I only live 1500 miles away.

I don't think there is NOTHING that can be done... We could call all the advertisers that you see during a Celtics game and tell them we are boycotting their business until he was replaced. Believe me if 100 of us called and emailed every advertiser and complained, Donny would be gone in a heart beat.

I'm not saying I want to organize something like this, but when talking about corporate entities.... they will do ANYTHING to make the advertisers happy.

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
He's not THAT bad...
but using the Boston Celtics as an audition for a national gig (which has been quite clear from day 1) is unacceptable...
He's not that good either.. he's painfully average.

They need a celtic with gorman.. without a doubt. Not a cav...
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »

Offline CsfanNH

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 10
See.... the way I see it there is are at least two different things here:

Play by Play Commentator: the commentator that gives voice cues to how the game is going, time left, score, etc this would be our Mike Gorman.

Color Commentator: the one actually making comments about the game, favors the team they are commentating on enough to say negative things about people opposing said team; players, coaches or officials. On a good day(Home Games) Tommy is this person.

Now, Donny Marshal is... not a good fit? He would be a great Play by Play guy, but we already have one and Mr. Gorman is just awesome at it. Donny Marshal isn't a big enough Celtics fan to be a color commentator. Generally this role should be filled by an ex player/staff member as they will have a personal history with the team beyond just watching them play from the outside(or as an opponent). Donny never played for the Celtics and doesn't know either the past players or even current players well enough to fill in Tommy's away game role.

I hate to sit and think about how there are so many fans, that haven't even played the sport on even a collegiate level, that know more about the game as it relates to the Boston Celtics than Donny does.

This is just a quick write up of why I am not a Donny Marshal fan. He can have a broadcasting job, he is good enough for it, but he certainly is not fit for taking over road games in Tommy's place.

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i hate donny. he was never good enough for me to respect him as a player and he never shuts up. he always goes back to his playing days and his teams and ray allen at uconn. dude, i get it. do you hear tommy bragging out his rings? the most you hear tommy say is a thing or two about a hook shot, running, and then how he coached. thats it.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
people might think im crazy....but the donny they should get, is donnie wahlberg.

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
people might think im crazy....but the donny they should get, is donnie wahlberg.

That's not a bad idea, until he starts singing "The Right Stuff".

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Maybe you should focus your critic to Mr. Marshall himself?  Send him e-mail and mail with HELPFUL suggestions.  :)

Does he have a shot at national work?

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW

I am actually in full agreement.  I love his interviews and die hard fan perspective.  He would be a better color commentator, but I suspect we couldn't get him for 10 more years.  Hang'n tuf.  Geez why did I do that.

anyway, no one will fill tommy's shoes ever.  Tommy is Tommy, we LOVE tommy, and no one should give tommy points but tommy (this blog excluded--gimmie, gimmie.)  I don't like it when Gorman gives them out.  He can have Gorman points if he wants.  Gorman is also cool because he is a different commentator without Tommy.  More room to breathe.  That's not a fat joke.

Look, Marshall is fine.  Dickerson is a real blowhard, but even he has improved.  Like every job, you gotta trust newbs at some point and let them become awesome.  Marshall walked in with better perspective and knowledge than most, so I will have an open mind.

ps. could someone message me about whether or not catching games on the web is worth it vs. getting cable just for Celts games?  This would be a valuable fan resource for more than just me probably.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 01:36:56 PM by KevinGamble »
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:09 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I got a solution. Bring back Antione Walker as a bench warmer, cheerleader, and TV commentator. The guy still bleeds Celtics Green even though he is NBA veteran journeyman.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Guys just put the game on mute and turn the radio feed on.