Author Topic: Why is Q-Rich still in the NBA?  (Read 5177 times)

Why is Q-Rich still in the NBA?
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
The answer is obvious, because he wants to collect his paycheck. But man, if I'm D'Antoni or Walsh, I'm trying my best right now to make a trade or buy out his contract. This guy flat out doesn't want to play. The shots he jacked up demonstrated that he doesn't want to put in the effort into helping a downtrodden Knicks franchise improve. Remember, this is the same Quentin Richardson who trashed the Celtics for having done nothing at this point in the season last year for all the hype that was manufactured immediately following the KG trade (which we lived up to and then some more). Even Donny "I like to say good things about everyone because I want everyone to like me" Marshall was trasing on him and Crawford and Randolph for taking horrible shots. I'm not the biggest Donny Marshall fan in the world by any means, but he hit the nail on the coffin with the comment about taking bad shots and how doing so will condition other teammates to want to seek out their own, since it's acceptable in that environment. Think about the polar opposite of said environment. KG probably is in everyone's heads, and everyone plays the right way because they understand the consequences for not putting in the maximum effort. In New York, to make a long story short, nobody wants to put in the necessary accountability on their respective shoulders to make the Knicks a respectable team. The talent is there, they should be better.

Re: Why is Q-Rich still in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm sure the new management would dearly love to flush the refuse of the prior regime down the toilet.  In due time they will, but Q appears to theirs for the time being.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'm sure the new management would dearly love to flush the refuse of the prior regime down the toilet.  In due time they will, but Q appears to theirs for the time being.

despite his best efforts, he HAS to be trying to make a statement. thats the only explination for some of his shots last night. one that didnt hit the rim, i swar he didnt even look at the rim, he just go tthe rebound, came down, pulled up from 5 feet in back of the three point line, and started walking back to his end.

it was unreal.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

despite his best efforts, he HAS to be trying to make a statement. thats the only explination for some of his shots last night. one that didnt hit the rim, i swar he didnt even look at the rim, he just go tthe rebound, came down, pulled up from 5 feet in back of the three point line, and started walking back to his end.

it was unreal.
He's a bum
Yup

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's horrible.  He was embarrasingly fat the last few years.  He's in better shape now, but he has no athleticm.  This guy used to have a 40inch vertical, but his legs got old early in life.  All he does is catch and miss shots.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Is he still dating that hot girl singer? Was it Beyonce? I forget.  Whoever she was, she must have been a great cook, because he sure got fat.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Good question. Because Colangelo offered him a 6 year contract and Isiah was dumb enough to bail him out by trading Kurt Thomas and a pick for him, but you do have a point.

it was unreal.

;D

(...)In New York, to make a long story short, nobody wants to put in the necessary accountability on their respective shoulders to make the Knicks a respectable team. The talent is there, they should be better.

FWIW, D'Antoni said some harsh things last night.

On Curry:

"The door is never closed, but at the same time we are not going to lower anything we do for anybody. They are going to have to come up to us. If they want to play they know where they have to go."

"Its not all about size, its about the size of the fight in the dog not the size of the dog in the fight."

On Crawford:

"I think points are something we can manufacture," D'Antoni said. "Somebody's going to score. The thing is, is he a winning player, is he playing defense, does the team look good around him? Those are much more important (things) than stats."

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/10/21/2008-10-21_mike_dantoni_benches_outofshape_eddy_cur.html?print=1&page=all

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He was dating Brandy.  Nah, they broke up a long time ago but someone must have been cooking some good stuff for him.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Those D'Antoni comments are refreshing if you're a Knicks fan. At least he is trying to integrate a contagious but fresh new mentality to a pathetic group of players.

It's amazing that a player with Eddy Curry's size and scoring ability can be rendered so ineffective simply because he doesn't want it.

That's really the mojo of the entire Knicks team. Lots of talent, lots of weight (literally), but a lot of it is dead weight because they don't want it and/or are too dumb basketball wise to do their job right.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Donny and Mike actually complimented Q last night on how his body looked and how he actually got himself in decent shape this summer.  I actually thought they might be making jokes at first but it seemed fairly genuine.  He doesn't look to be in much better shape than he was last year and he definitely is not in playing shape.  The guy is about 20-40 lbs overweight for a SG/SF his size, apparently has little shooting ability left and has no leaping ability anymore, which Donny mentioned later in the game even though he complimented him earlier on his physique.   

Anyway, he looked awful, is awful and i'd be surprised if he makes it through the season.  But at least he adds some good entertainment/comedic value to any game he plays in.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Not to go off topic, but am I the only one that thinks trading Malik Rose and Eddy Curry to Miami for Shawn Marion would help both teams?
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Not to go off topic, but am I the only one that thinks trading Malik Rose and Eddy Curry to Miami for Shawn Marion would help both teams?

No, it would just help the Knicks.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Donny and Mike actually complimented Q last night on how his body looked and how he actually got himself in decent shape this summer.  I actually thought they might be making jokes at first but it seemed fairly genuine.  He doesn't look to be in much better shape than he was last year and he definitely is not in playing shape.  The guy is about 20-40 lbs overweight for a SG/SF his size, apparently has little shooting ability left and has no leaping ability anymore, which Donny mentioned later in the game even though he complimented him earlier on his physique.   

Anyway, he looked awful, is awful and i'd be surprised if he makes it through the season.  But at least he adds some good entertainment/comedic value to any game he plays in.

i didnt hear them saying that about Q, i heard them saying it about marbury.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
The answer is obvious, because he wants to collect his paycheck. But man, if I'm D'Antoni or Walsh, I'm trying my best right now to make a trade or buy out his contract. This guy flat out doesn't want to play. The shots he jacked up demonstrated that he doesn't want to put in the effort into helping a downtrodden Knicks franchise improve. Remember, this is the same Quentin Richardson who trashed the Celtics for having done nothing at this point in the season last year for all the hype that was manufactured immediately following the KG trade (which we lived up to and then some more). Even Donny "I like to say good things about everyone because I want everyone to like me" Marshall was trasing on him and Crawford and Randolph for taking horrible shots. I'm not the biggest Donny Marshall fan in the world by any means, but he hit the nail on the coffin with the comment about taking bad shots and how doing so will condition other teammates to want to seek out their own, since it's acceptable in that environment. Think about the polar opposite of said environment. KG probably is in everyone's heads, and everyone plays the right way because they understand the consequences for not putting in the maximum effort. In New York, to make a long story short, nobody wants to put in the necessary accountability on their respective shoulders to make the Knicks a respectable team. The talent is there, they should be better.

Contrary to your opinion(s) I believe Q-Rich has a plethora of NBA basketball left in him (he's only 27/28). His body has certainly acquired some more fat, but he's always been a big body for a small forward/shooting guard, which is why he gets a healthy amount of rebounds for a guy at his position. Additionally, i'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but Mike Dan Tony (that's what I like to call him ;D) basically makes his squadron hoist up the rock 7 seconds into the 24-second shot clock (no joke).  Dan Tony is clearly going for volume shooting, and with volume shooting comes some poor shots.

I think Q-Rich is primed for a "comeback" year (of sorts) for the following 2 reasons:

1. He's actually got something to play for this season (a starting gig). Wilson Chandler is more (say it like Charles Barkley) AAAATH-ELLLLL-LET-IC but is very raw (and a rook), and Dan Tony will certainly give preference to his veteran (at least Q-Rich is in game shape unlike Curry).

2. Mike Dan Tony is his coach. Remember the last time Dan Tony was Q-Rich's coach? Yeah, well...he led the league in 3's that year (2004-2005).

Again, I'm not guaranSHEEDing anything, but I predict a "comeback year" of sorts for Q-Rich.

"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's amazing that a player with Eddy Curry's size and scoring ability can be rendered so ineffective simply because he doesn't want it.

I swear Curry just gave up entirely after he believed he got snubbed a few years back for all-star.

I just feel sorry for the knick's fans; no fanbase deserves a team in the state the knicks are in.