Author Topic: Bynum wants $17 mil a season.  (Read 6860 times)

Bynum wants $17 mil a season.
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Sorry I didn't put this in the free agent sticky, but I think this deserves
it's own thread.

LA Times Via Realgm;
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54988/20081021/bynum_chasing_$17m_per_season/

According to a report published in the L.A. Times, representatives for center Andrew Bynum and the Lakers are still remain far apart on extension negotiations.

Bynum's agent, David Lee, reportedly is seeking a five-year extension worth an estimated $17 million a year, while the Lakers are more comfortable paying Bynum about $10 million a year.

Bynum said he wasn't affected by the ongoing discussions.

"Not really, because if I go out and play the way I'm supposed to, it'll take care of itself," he said.

Now correct me if i'm wrong (I'm not) but $17mil a season for a Center who hasn't proved anything and is just coming off major knee surgery is rediculous!

Discuss.

Re: Bynum wants $17 mil a season.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i didn't know that bynum was actually shaq...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
The Lakers should walk away from the table.  If Bynum comes back and continues to elevate his game as he was doing before the injury, then you negotiate upwards of 10.  but to give him more then that right now is just absurd (didnt Bynum have some issues with being Lazy and overweight until this last year?  if he did, and I cant remember, I am certainly not giving 17 mill, lol)

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
But you know there will probably be several teams willing to offer him $17M a season, so I don't think asking for it now from his current team is ridiculous at all.

He's basically projected to be one of the top 3 centers for the next decade (with Dwight Howard and Gred Oden).  I think $17M for a top 3 player at any position is realistic, more so even for a Center.  He hasn't reached the potentional yet, but tons of teams are willing to bank on him reaching that potential.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:56:47 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
But you know there will probably be several teams willing to offer him $17M a season, so I don't think asking for it now from his current team is ridiculous at all.

He's basically projected to be one of the top 3 centers for the next decade (with Dwight Howard and Gred Oden).  I think $17M for a top 3 player at any position is realistic, more so even for a Center.  He hasn't reached the potentional yet, but tons of teams are willing to bank on him reaching that potential.

But he isnt a FA now, so their is no reason to pay him like he is.  it is an unneccessary risk for the team.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:57:35 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
I think thats about right.  Makes me happy for Bynum, and for the Lakers if they sign that.  Whats the max number of years they can give him?  I hope they do that too.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do."¯ - Franklin

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

exactly. he's projected, not proven. at all.

he's had 20 good games. if the lakers sign him to a 17 million dollar extension for 20 good games, i hope he busts just on principle.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think thats about right.  Makes me happy for Bynum, and for the Lakers if they sign that.  Whats the max number of years they can give him?  I hope they do that too.

Makes me happy for the Cs if they do that -- I hope LA locks him up with a big contract and he becomes difficult to move.  For his sake, I hope he makes the contract worth it, for the sake of a die hard Cs fan (me) I hope the contract is a huge albatross around the LA Lakers' necks for years to come...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

he's had 20 good games. if the lakers sign him to a 17 million dollar extension for 20 good games, i hope he busts just on principle.

But that's how the NBA works, just about everyone is paid on potential, even veterans.  Past results don't matter at all, it's all about expected future results.  Especially when you're signing a contract for something like 5 years and only in your early 20's, of course your contract is going to be based on potential.

Al Jefferson got about $11M per, and I think most Non-Celtics/Non-TWolves fans would say Bynum will be better than Jefferson.  Plus Bynum plays a position that is much harder to fill.  $17M isn't ridiculous (in terms of the rest of the NBA).

Players are paid on potential.  Sometimes players live up to that potential, sometimes they exceed that potential, and sometimes they don't come anywhere close.  Everyone wants to secure that next major superstar, so you got to put up big bucks on potential to hopefully make sure that next superstar is on your team for years to come.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

But that's how the NBA works, just about everyone is paid on potential, even veterans.  Past results don't matter at all, it's all about expected future results.  Especially when you're signing a contract for something like 5 years and only in your early 20's, of course your contract is going to be based on potential.

Al Jefferson got about $11M per, and I think most Non-Celtics/Non-TWolves fans would say Bynum will be better than Jefferson.  Plus Bynum plays a position that is much harder to fill.  $17M isn't ridiculous (in terms of the rest of the NBA).

Players are paid on potential.  Sometimes players live up to that potential, sometimes they exceed that potential, and sometimes they don't come anywhere close.  Everyone wants to secure that next major superstar, so you got to put up big bucks on potential to hopefully make sure that next superstar is on your team for years to come.

are you kidding me? AL was already a proven 20/10 guy and had 2 good SEASONS when the t-wolves gave him that deal, most agree they got a huge bargain.

players are paid on potential, your right. 20 games isn't potential, its 20 games.

again, if the lakers pay that, thier morons. hope they do though.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
What exactly has Bynum done to warrent $10 mill. per year, none the less $17 mill.  I still don't understand all the talk about him.  The experts keep saying he is going to put the Lakers over the top, but I don't see it.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:03:18 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
lets just set it straight right now. NO CHANCE BYNUM WILL BE BETTER THAN JEFFERSON. thank you.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

are you kidding me? AL was already a proven 20/10 guy and had 2 good SEASONS when the t-wolves gave him that deal, most agree they got a huge bargain.

players are paid on potential, your right. 20 games isn't potential, its 20 games.

again, if the lakers pay that, thier morons. hope they do though.

QFT.

Big Al played in 69 games and averaged 16 and 11 primarily as the primary scorer after Pierce went down and then signed the extension. Bynum has played half that without opposing defenses preparing for him and still only averaged 13 and 10 and he wants nearly twice what Big Al is getting? He's got a fantastically optimistic agent.

It doesn't matter about potential, a contract extension for a player on a rookie deal who has shown flashes in 30 games is just plain asinine for $17 million. Look, he might be better than Big Al, he fills a more valuable position and has shown more of a defensive presence, but he lacks Big Al's post game and has had a reputation for laziness. I hope the Lakers screw themselves and give him the $17 million.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Most intelligent GMs would take Al Jefferson over Bynum in a heart beat. I know that is hard for Laker fans to understand, but they had a hard time understanding that they had no shot at beating the Celtics last season in the play-offs. Bynum is a decent 5, and has potential to be a really good center, but Big Al is already established as one of the top 4/5's in the league.

Do you think the Lakers would trade Bynum for Big Al straight up, if salary cap was not an issue? Of course they would!!

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Most intelligent GMs would take Al Jefferson over Bynum in a heart beat. I know that is hard for Laker fans to understand, but they had a hard time understanding that they had no shot at beating the Celtics last season in the play-offs. Bynum is a decent 5, and has potential to be a really good center, but Big Al is already established as one of the top 4/5's in the league.

Do you think the Lakers would trade Bynum for Big Al straight up, if salary cap was not an issue? Of course they would!!

I bet they wouldn't to be honest...
God bless and good night!