Author Topic: Worst Fans in Sports?  (Read 4189 times)

Worst Fans in Sports?
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Don't get me wrong, I give all the credit in the world to the Rays players, their organization, and their coaching, but one big problem i have with the ballclub in Tampa is their fans.  I really don't think these people DESERVE to have a team in the world series, as they continue to prove why they are the worst fans in baseball.

Issue #1: Cowbells
*Even the national media has outlined how sad this is.  When your stadium is indoors and seats ~30,00 - 40,000 people, yet you rely on 'bells and whistles' to create atmosphere, you have problems...

Issue #2: Home-run song
*Issue 1 leads me directly into issue 2.  Anyone else notice the "feel the heat" song they play after a TB home run? I don't know who came up with the song/the idea to play it, but it just feels wrong to me.  Blaring music over the loud speakers during a home run waltz rubs me the wrong way.

Issue #3: Where were you all?
*No one goes out to watch losing baseball, i get it; however, after 1/3 of the season had gone by and the Rays continued to sit in first place, they were still 10,000 fans/game under the leauge average.  this reminds me of the Celtics v. Hawks series, where the fans didnt show up in Atlanta until the playoffs started.  Then again, this may just be a Flordia phenomenon, as the Marlins (despite competing for a playoff spot until the last couple of weeks) finnished dead last in attendance. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Issue #4: Fan attire:
*This is just something i noticed: It seemed to me that, every time they showed a shot of the fans, there weren't any rays fans decked out in rays gear.  No jerseys...just the occasional TB hat.  Now i'm not big on suiting up with jerseys myself, but at least ditch the collared shirt for a "Rays" T or something.

I know i just sound bitter, but i just have no love for Rays fans right now.  They got to witness one of the most historic turnarounds in all of sports...again, congratulations to the organization, but i feel like it certainly could've happened to a better group of fans (ala in Cinncinatti, Minnesota, or Seattle).

So what do you all think? Am i being too dramatic or did you come away feeling the same?  How about worst fans in other sports?  I got nothin but love for new Orleans, but only 14,000 fans/game? CP3 deserves better than that.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Worst Fans in Sports?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Issue #4: Fan attire:
*This is just something i noticed: It seemed to me that, every time they showed a shot of the fans, there weren't any rays fans decked out in rays gear.  No jerseys...just the occasional TB hat.  Now i'm not big on suiting up with jerseys myself, but at least ditch the collared shirt for a "Rays" T or something.

the other reasons im somewhat tempered on, but TP for this. did anyone see ONE jersey that said devilrays?

every jersey i saw said "rays" I.E I JUST BOUGHT THIS!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!

i mean, i expected SOME "vintage any year before 2008" jerseys around.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yeh, it's hard to not sound bitter at this point.  I'm sure the Sox crowds are plenty despicable in their own right to other eyes.  I actually find the Sox road crowds kind of annoying.  Something about drowning out the home teams crowd just seems embarrassing.

If the Rays start a dynasty and the fans still have their stupid cowbells in 20 years then we'll all have a different perspective on things.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:28:28 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Just to set the record straight, i am by no means a "Boston fans are #1" kind of guy...we do have a ton of knowledgeable, die-hard fans, but we have more than our fair share of bandwaggoners as well.  Personally, although it's paid incredible monetary dividends for the owners, i'm  pretty embarresed by the whole Red Sox Nation thing; but still, even the  pink hat Sox fans know fan etiquette for the most part.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
England football hooligans. By far and away the worst. No respect for anyone, full of hate for everyone and all they want to do is get drunk and fight.

Generally, football (soccer) fans are the worst.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hey don't blame these fans for the cowbell. It was obviously a marketing guy that came up with it the idea after he brought out some of his inner Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1017105/more_cowbell/

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:46:59 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
all good points, but seriously, would have been nice to see one "tampa bay devil rays" jersey in attendance.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tough to see the crowd last night with the glare of all the new merchandise.  ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:16:53 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I agree, the players and coaches belong in a World Series, the fans and dome don't.  I stand by my argument that as far as professional sports in the US go, the northeast is superior to everyone else.  We are the most passionate and knowledgeable.  We are absolutely brash and the most arrogant as well.  There are some decent arenas across the country, like Golden State during the playoffs and Sacramento, but overall Boston, New York, Philly, are where it's at.  Chicago isn't northeast but I group them in this great group as well.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Issue #1- Yes, cowbells, thunderstix, airhorns, etc. are horrible.

Issue #2- All stadiums, to my knowledge, play horrible songs, including Fenway. "Sweet Caroline" sucks and has always sucked and always will suck. "Dirty Water" might be the worst song ever written. That song they play when Papelbon comes out (and they now play at Celtics games) makes my ears bleed- what is that guy shouting, "I lost my leg?" that's what it sounds like anyway and it makes no sense. While I'm at it, dear Celtics, please for God's sake, please stop playing "Jump Around." Yes, I'm old and I don't care.

Issue #3- Well, I don't know the situation in Tampa, but I know that here in Boston tickets are absolutely unaffordable. Even though I consider myself a fan, I'm lucky if I can go to one game a year. I didn't see the Sox this year, I have no plan to see the Pats, I haven't watched the Bruins since 2002 (even then it cost me $80 per seat- for the freakin' Bruins!), and I only bought tix for one Celtics game so far. So the argument could be made that real fans don't go the games- only the corporate hobnobbers go.

Issue #4- I didn't notice. I saw plenty of Rays shirts covering the arms attached to those accursed cowbells.

As for who has the worst fans, it has to be soccer. The Columbians killed one of their players after an own-goal, if you'll recall. The worst fans I've personally experienced are those of the Patriots- most of them horribly drunk on their one afternoon escape from their wives. The best fans- no contest, those of the Toronto Blue Jays.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:12:14 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I actually felt good for the Rays fans.

1. small market teams need hope too

2. they looked shocked and in disbelief and greatful that their team was going to the WS.

I tip my hat to them even though I'm a Sox fan.

side note: thundersticks are aweful... just clap your hands or wave your arms...

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
"Dirty Water" might be the worst song ever written.
Take that back right now!

See, normally, I would insert a smiley next to that last statement, except that I genuinelly want you to take that back.

Will anyone back me up here and agree that "Dirty Water" is awesome?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
"Dirty Water" might be the worst song ever written.
Take that back right now!

See, normally, I would insert a smiley next to that last statement, except that I genuinelly want you to take that back.

Will anyone back me up here and agree that "Dirty Water" is awesome?

Absolutely.  It's a tradition older than the pink hat era.  It's a great song about a great city.  I love songs that play after victories, they always bring a smile to your face.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I actually felt good for the Rays fans.

1. small market teams need hope too

2. they looked shocked and in disbelief and greatful that their team was going to the WS.

I tip my hat to them even though I'm a Sox fan.

side note: thundersticks are aweful... just clap your hands or wave your arms...

I actually don't think they were that shocked.  Granted I'm sure some of them were, the few fans that have followed the team since 1998, but overall I got the vibe from Rays fans that they were incredibly confident.  On ESPN news after the Rays game 5 collapse, they listened in on the big Tampa sports radio station down there.  The vast majority of callers were all very confident.  They thought the loss sucked, but they were all still very cocky.