Author Topic: What gives with Giddens?  (Read 3153 times)

What gives with Giddens?
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'll admit, I was one of the biggest pro-Giddens supporters on this board.  But, something is very concerning about his being lost on offense.  There's no excuse for that.  This guy was the leading scorer in the Mountain West.  He also had big assist numbers and was the man on his team.  This is no Kedrick Brown who really hasn't played any real basketball.  This is a 5 year college basketball player. 

So, the fact that he's getting minimal minutes in pre-season and basically stands around on offense if very concerning, IMO.  I'm about ready to concede that I was dead-wrong on this pick.  I've always maintained that if a rookie is going to be very good in the NBA, you'll see it from day 1.  If you are watching and rooting for him to do something good, then, more than likely, he just won't pan out.

I guess I am discounting his defense, which has been very good in pre-season, and perhaps he can play a Bruce Bowen-type role.  But, I just had a feeling that Giddens was the steal of the draft and would be a solid NBA player, to borderline All-Star in time.  I am backing WAAAAAY off those predictions.

That said, the play of Walker, Pruitt and O'Bryant, still give me faith in Ainge's ability to acquire and develop young guys.  And, perhaps Giddens will take the Pruitt route and stay focused, and develop his game in the NBDL.

Re: What gives with Giddens?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
relax.   it's way to early to know anything.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Agreed, it's way too early to make that call.  I predict Giddens will be a good rotation player for several years, possibly a starter on some team at some point, doubtful he will be an all-star though.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It takes some players more time then others to learn how to play in the NBA.  Give him time.  It is not like he was a high draft choice needed to step in right away.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Keep in mind that he was THE player on his team at New Mexico.  The offense ran through him, so it stands to reason that his numbers are going to be higher than if he's just a puzzle piece like he is here.  On the other hand, I think his defensive play has been great - which is one of the biggest reasons Danny picked him up.

Remember, stats aren't the whole story.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »

Offline BigT

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Understand that he plays very intense defense.  Many of these young players don't want to extend themselves and he is a great guard rebounder.

As stated let him go the NBDL route it improved Pruitt and if he just tries to round his game he will be back next year.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is a rookie in his first preseason.  There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.  If he still looks lost next preseason, then you can worry, but for the moment, he right where he should be.  Sure he hasn't exceeded expectations yet, but that means nothing.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:44:52 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Two things.  First Giddens is a rookie and he'll have his share of ups and downs.  Two we all know Doc Rivers has a tendency in the past to have a good player deep on the bench that he doesn't play until there's an injury and he figures out they have game.  (see Ryan Gomes and Leon Powe)  I wouldn't worry about it to much yet.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Two things.  First Giddens is a rookie and he'll have his share of ups and downs.  Two we all know Doc Rivers has a tendency in the past to have a good player deep on the bench that he doesn't play until there's an injury and he figures out they have game.  (see Ryan Gomes and Leon Powe)  I wouldn't worry about it to much yet.

Well those are also two great examples of guys who looked completely lost for a while when they first got here, but eventually "got it".  Gomes was terrible and seemed to have no clue what he was doing when he was first given a chance to play (at SF) early in his rookie year, and Powe was completely lost on defense for his entire rookie year, and was still finding his way as he finally started getting minutes last year.

The C's system is pretty complicated, and Doc has always favored playing someone who understands the system over someone who may be more talented, but continuously misses assignments.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Let us not forget also that Giddens spent the summer away from Boston in a contract 'holdout'. That has put him behind the power curve next to Bill Walker and all the other youngsters with regard to learning the system. I promise you that he will say he feels like he is still trying to catch up, if he's honest.

A season of seasoning and learning in the D league and buried on the Celtics bench will do wonders for his game. The kid can score and he can D from all accounts so far. Maybe it is next year before we see the real JR Giddens and that's not a bad thing.

Still his ceiling is likely Tony Allen with a better jumper at this point. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Let us not forget also that Giddens spent the summer away from Boston in a contract 'holdout'. That has put him behind the power curve next to Bill Walker and all the other youngsters with regard to learning the system. I promise you that he will say he feels like he is still trying to catch up, if he's honest.

A season of seasoning and learning in the D league and buried on the Celtics bench will do wonders for his game. The kid can score and he can D from all accounts so far. Maybe it is next year before we see the real JR Giddens and that's not a bad thing.

I imagine you mean his ceiling is the current TA? We still don't know what TA's ceiling is.

Don't forget, TA was a better prospect. Many would say our pick of Giddens in the 1st was a stretch.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I imagine you mean his ceiling is the current TA? We still don't know what TA's ceiling is.

Don't forget, TA was a better prospect. Many would say our pick of Giddens in the 1st was a stretch.

Many said the pick of TA was a stretch (I don't remember seeing any mocks with TA in the first round...and I followed that draft very closely).  Remember, Giddens was a blue chip recruit who ended up being a hell of a player.  He would have been pretty close to a first round lock if it weren't for character concerns.

Giddens has as much, if not more talent than TA, but the question for Giddens is the same as it was with Allen (and still is)...can he keep his nose clean, and his head in the game.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I was pro Giddens before the draft as well. The thing that worries me about Giddens is that I expected him to be able to contribute right away. It doesn't seem he will be even with the team so far. I haven't seen the rebounding or finishing ability that made him a star at New Mexico. He's a 5 year college player so he's not as young at 23-24 as other players, and he doesn't have the upside of B.Walker.

Right now Walker is doing the things I expected from Giddens. Attacking the basket and rebounding efficiently things that will get you playing time. I hope Giddens turns out be the steal I thought he'd  be, and that he isn't the reach that others have been saying he was.

I think he's definitely going to the NBDL. I just hope he doesn't take to hard of a hit to the ego. I'm pretty sure he expected to contribute a lot more then he probably will.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I was pro Giddens before the draft as well. The thing that worries me about Giddens is that I expected him to be able to contribute right away. It doesn't seem he will be even with the team so far. I haven't seen the rebounding or finishing ability that made him a star at New Mexico. He's a 5 year college player so he's not as young at 23-24 as other players, and he doesn't have the upside of B.Walker.

Right now Walker is doing the things I expected from Giddens. Attacking the basket and rebounding efficiently things that will get you playing time. I hope Giddens turns out be the steal I thought he'd  be, and that he isn't the reach that others have been saying he was.

I think he's definitely going to the NBDL. I just hope he doesn't take to hard of a hit to the ego. I'm pretty sure he expected to contribute a lot more then he probably will.

I really think the player to think of when you are looking at Giddens is Gomes.  He looked terrible at the beginning of his rookie year as well, but really seemed to "get it" as the year went on.  There is definitely a learning curve there, but I would put my money on the 5th year college guy to catch on soon enough.

BTW, I think Walker's success has been overstated (even by myself).  He has started off strong, and showed great rebounding and dunking...but he has not been great other than that.  He has looked lost in the offensive sets, and not great on defense anyways.  I think he will be a very good player, but now I am not sure if Giddens doesn't pass him in the next couple of months, because of his shooting ability, and (slightly) better ball handling.